I am recentering the topic back to its original intention - to compare the carriers from a consumer benefit point of view & perception. Price, coverage, actual performance are valid.
    I can't understand all the thread drift, the OP seems to be a pretty objective summary and comparison of the two services. What gets me is that most of those with a motive (the carrier reps) are accepting it as valid, but the customers are whining and moaning about it.
    11-25-09 11:57 AM
    Two-thumbs up TwinsX2Dad!!!
    11-25-09 01:37 PM
    I don't need to - try staying on topic & I won't have to call you out. I put out a comparison of price & customer benefit & some of you have to stoop to employment prospects to bolster your argument - not that you have one. It is you who have been reaching. Nothing in what you've said that contributes to the discussion. Just a clear indication that some people are offended that they cannot defend their choice & their life centers on that choice.

I am recentering the topic back to its original intention - to compare the carriers from a consumer benefit point of view & perception. Price, coverage, actual performance are valid.

Employee conditions, layoff potential, pay rates are not part of the original topic as they do not affect the customer experience.
    Again, you continue to pull my statements out of context to make it look like you're the good guy here...
    I've made statements that do impact customers, but instead of addressing those posts, you pulled select statements out of context. Its quite clear that we bruised your ego...
    11-25-09 04:49 PM
    Good info, thank you for posting it!
    11-25-09 10:01 PM
    I'm with verizon all the way and great info there twinsx2dad.
    11-25-09 11:26 PM
    Why can't we all just get along and converse about the one thing we all love, BLACKBERRY!
    Sure, Verizon has good service but you have to pay a little more, but Sprint has good service too, with cheap plans! Its just that Verizon has a bigger selection of devices.
    11-25-09 11:32 PM
    I completely agree, I must be wrong, along with all of my previous posts, and, you of course are right...

And what is this exclusive information? I must know what ground breaking information you have for the rest of us idiots?
    11-26-09 03:14 AM
    It is quite clear that you're mistaken - but what else is new?

====================================

I have more coming gang - there is some news that might be breaking soon that might be of interest...
    YES. Do TELL. What's the news???

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-09 07:39 AM
    When it is available... in time... patience... just know that VZW has already signed off on LTE handset roaming agreements... one more advantage gone...
    11-27-09 02:51 PM
    Verizon still superior over Sprint. Why? Because Sprint does not have towers in my area and it would be considered roaming even though it is part of their plan. If majority of your calls are not on their network or I should say their tower they will number 1 not activate you or number 2 if it does get activated they will cancel your service due to this. So in a nutshell, until Sprint can offer service for consumers in more areas than Verizon, it is worth my while to pay more on Verizon's network and be sure I have the service and no worries about carrier roaming.
    11-27-09 03:19 PM
    When it is available... in time... patience... just know that VZW has already signed off on LTE handset roaming agreements... one more advantage gone...
    These are simple reciprocal roaming agreements? Or, are these for more targeted applications (like industrial applications through non-consumer carriers)? Qualcomm didn't meet their reserves if I recall correctly. Frontier Wireless bought a block. Sprint isn't using LTE. So, I don't see a competitive advantage as gone...especially depending on the price schedules that were agreed upon.
    11-27-09 04:55 PM

He really doesn't know anything.. He's just going to wait till Engadget or someone has some news and then he'll just report it.. Kinda like he did with the BlackBerry Storm 2 and wifi..
    11-27-09 09:13 PM
    The cell phone market is growing fast and as of now verizon is the leader in all aspects. But changes are coming and tmobile will be merged with someone and then the big red will no longer be in first place. 2010 will see a merger in this industry.

11-27-09 09:25 PM
    So far, reciprocal handset agreements - the roaming agreements with Sprint include the LTE network, once online. But, there is no real agreement (yet) for strictly data use - so no data-cards or other non-telephony applications.

I would say that, based on this, some folks might still choose Sprint for cell service & VZW (or AT&T) for computer LTE connection coverage.
    Well, either way, Verizon is getting paid. It's really not a competitive loss to them. This is actually revenue with less direct overhead. Coupled with their established network reputation to the masses, they should recover their $10 Billion rather comfortably. P.S. I just hand-wrote this post on my Fujitsu tablet. How cool is that?
    11-27-09 10:09 PM
    Well, either way, Verizon is getting paid. It's really not a competitive loss to them. This is actually revenue with less direct overhead. Coupled with their established network reputation to the masses, they should recover their $10 Billion rather comfortably. P.S. I just hand-wrote this post on my Fujitsu tablet. How cool is that?
    Nice - I always liked the look of those tablets - just never had the courage to make a break for one.

You are correct - they are getting paid, but the revenue is miniscule in comparison. Where the roaming agreements come in it to equalize the network load - to try to raise traffic during off-times.

On a bit of a side-note... this doesn't indicate a company in trouble...

Sprint Nextel Completes Tender Offer for iPCS, Inc.OVERLAND PARK, Kan., Nov 27, 2009 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Sprint Nextel Corporation (NYSE:S) today announced the successful completion of its tender offer for all outstanding shares of iPCS, Inc. (NASDAQ:IPCS) common stock. The tender offer expired at midnight EST on Wednesday, November 25, 2009 and was conducted through a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sprint Nextel named Ireland Acquisition Corporation. At the expiration of the tender offer, a total of approximately 10.399 million shares of iPCS common stock were validly tendered and not withdrawn in the tender offer, representing approximately 62.8 percent of the outstanding shares of common stock of iPCS as of November 25, 2009. In addition, approximately 1.893 million shares were tendered by notice of guaranteed delivery. All shares that were validly tendered and not properly withdrawn have been accepted for payment in accordance with the terms of the tender offer and applicable law.

In accordance with the previously announced merger agreement with iPCS, Sprint, through Ireland Acquisition Corporation, exercised the "top-up" option allowing it to increase its share ownership percentage of iPCS through the purchase of newly-issued shares of iPCS common stock at $24.00 per share, the same price paid in the tender offer. Sprint expects to complete the "top-up" on Friday, December 4, 2009. Once completed, Ireland Acquisition Corporation will own more than 90 percent of the outstanding shares of iPCS common stock and will effect a short-form merger with iPCS by no later than Monday, December 7, 2009, without the need for a vote or meeting of iPCS shareholders. In the merger, Sprint will acquire all iPCS shares not previously tendered (other than those as to which holders properly exercise appraisal rights under applicable Delaware law) at the same $24.00 per share price that was paid in the tender offer, net to the holder in cash, without interest and less any required withholding taxes.

Following the merger, iPCS will become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sprint Nextel, and iPCS shares will cease to be traded on NASDAQ.
    11-27-09 10:20 PM
    Nice - I always liked the look of those tablets - just never had the courage to make a break for one.

You are correct - they are getting paid, but the revenue is miniscule in comparison. Where the roaming agreements come in it to equalize the network load - to try to raise traffic during off-times.

On a bit of a side-note... this doesn't indicate a company in trouble...

Sprint Nextel Completes Tender Offer for iPCS, Inc.OVERLAND PARK, Kan., Nov 27, 2009 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Sprint Nextel Corporation (NYSE:S) today announced the successful completion of its tender offer for all outstanding shares of iPCS, Inc. (NASDAQ:IPCS) common stock. The tender offer expired at midnight EST on Wednesday, November 25, 2009 and was conducted through a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sprint Nextel named Ireland Acquisition Corporation. At the expiration of the tender offer, a total of approximately 10.399 million shares of iPCS common stock were validly tendered and not withdrawn in the tender offer, representing approximately 62.8 percent of the outstanding shares of common stock of iPCS as of November 25, 2009. In addition, approximately 1.893 million shares were tendered by notice of guaranteed delivery. All shares that were validly tendered and not properly withdrawn have been accepted for payment in accordance with the terms of the tender offer and applicable law.

In accordance with the previously announced merger agreement with iPCS, Sprint, through Ireland Acquisition Corporation, exercised the "top-up" option allowing it to increase its share ownership percentage of iPCS through the purchase of newly-issued shares of iPCS common stock at $24.00 per share, the same price paid in the tender offer. Sprint expects to complete the "top-up" on Friday, December 4, 2009. Once completed, Ireland Acquisition Corporation will own more than 90 percent of the outstanding shares of iPCS common stock and will effect a short-form merger with iPCS by no later than Monday, December 7, 2009, without the need for a vote or meeting of iPCS shareholders. In the merger, Sprint will acquire all iPCS shares not previously tendered (other than those as to which holders properly exercise appraisal rights under applicable Delaware law) at the same $24.00 per share price that was paid in the tender offer, net to the holder in cash, without interest and less any required withholding taxes.

Following the merger, iPCS will become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sprint Nextel, and iPCS shares will cease to be traded on NASDAQ.
    I have the T5010 Life Book, it's an amazing machine_ It costs a bit of $$ but the quality is amazing.

Sprint can leverage themselves to the hilt all they want, Their decisions seem to be following the GM model, or Herb Ebbers take-over of MCI. You simply cannot bleed that much cash and customers. What sucks is I want Sprint to succeed, it just seems like their recent history of business decisions isn't pointing in that direction.
    11-27-09 10:43 PM
    Let's see - you're proving your own self deprecation. Haven't you ever heard something at work or been trained on a new initiative, then told you are not to discuss it until a certain date?

Oh, of course not - integrity & responsibility aren't in your vocabulary.

Of course not, we Verizon reps are horribly trained, remember? Proprietary information is information everyone should know. Just look at all the posts I've made that have given information that is meant for internal use only...
    Last edited by R.O.C.; 11-27-09 at 10:57 PM.
    11-27-09 10:49 PM
    One other thing, while Sprint was spending money, Clearwire raised another $1B in a debt offering.

...and that was on the heels of $1.85B that was just raised. Sounds like stimulus money to me...
    Last edited by Gawain; 11-27-09 at 10:58 PM.
    11-27-09 10:55 PM
    Of course not, we Verizon reps are horribly trained, remember? Proprietary information is information everyone should know. Just look at all the posts I've made that have given information that is meant for internal use only...
    Do you know the definition of proprietary? The rest I'll leave for Twins
    11-28-09 08:49 AM
    I'd bet that every carrier would be beating a path to your door to hire you if they knew who you are. Oh, wait. They have your PIN that you have conveniently posted. 30BA293C
    Wow, even Verizon can find you. They'll probably promote you.
    11-28-09 09:09 AM
    Do you know the definition of proprietary? The rest I'll leave for Twins
    Sarcasm... If you've been keeping up with us over the past few days, you would know I wasn't being serious; though I'm sure you'll come back with the typical "I have a life outside of the internet" reply... But I am quite aware of what proprietary means, but thanks for the heads up...

I'd bet that every carrier would be beating a path to your door to hire you if they knew who you are. Oh, wait. They have your PIN that you have conveniently posted. 30BA293C
    Wow, even Verizon can find you. They'll probably promote you.
    Good, so when Verizon comes on here and reads all of the proprietary (theres that strange word again I wonder what it means) information that I haven't posted, they can fire me... Thank you for another useful post, you're good at those...
    Last edited by R.O.C.; 11-28-09 at 12:21 PM.
    11-28-09 12:12 PM
    Sprint customer service stinks. Other than that, I wish I had not changed. Obvious advantages of Sprint are the included navigation package that Verizon charges $9.99 a month for, as well as other apps. The other apps though are more of an issue of OS. There are just way more free apps available for Windows Mobile than Blackberry, which has nothing to do with carriers. Internet speeds are way faster with Sprint, at least for me.

Something that I have not seen mentioned anywhere on this site or anywhere else for that matter is that Verizon(at least in my area) does not have a true 3G network. They say they do but it is a lie, to a certain extent, although may be technically and legally accurate.

First off, when I was with Sprint I could be on the phone and the internet at the same time. Not so with Verizon. In the paperwork that came with my phone was something from RIM, not Verizon, that showed the signal icons and what they mean. I found that info here so you can see for yourself:
    Sorry I had to remove the link to post. Someone with the ability to post links please post or email me for the link.
    Verizon phones will not show the 3g icon. I called Verizon and was told that if my phone showed 1XEV I was connected to a 3G network, but that their phones didn't show the 3g icon. I was also told I would not be able to use voice and data at the same time. They still insisted it was 3G. I talked to someone at RIM who admitted that Verizon's network was not really 3G, but somehow they were lehally allowed to claim it was.

From the manual:
    3G icon: You can use the phone, send and receive email messages, PIN messages,
    MMS messages and SMS text messages. You can use the phone and send
    and receive email messages or use the browser simultaneously.

It goes on to explain the other icons and what they mean, but 3G is the only one where you can use both voice and data at the same time.

Before you ask-Why did I switch from Sprint? I had an HTC Touch Pro and after the 8th one that was defective I asked them to give me my money back and give me a different phone. They refused. They did however offer to give me some box that I could connect to my internet cable modem to use at home because my reception was so bad. And not charge me the usual $10 a month fee. They also felt so bad for me they didn't charge me the early termination fee. Thinking of going back.
    11-30-09 12:40 PM
    All I can say is that is a shame Sprint announced today the are laying off 2000 to 2500 of its employees, while announcing a 1 BILLION front money to Clearwire for WI-MAX stuff. Interesting.
    Maybe paying all that money to sponsor nascar could go to keeping employees.....
    11-30-09 12:57 PM
    One other thing, while Sprint was spending money, Clearwire raised another $1B in a debt offering.

...and that was on the heels of $1.85B that was just raised. Sounds like stimulus money to me...
    This is the way a lot of things are financed in business - almost like a municipal bond.

Maybe paying all that money to sponsor nascar could go to keeping employees.....
    No - that money is revenue-generating. On average, every telco dollar put into advertising returns $25 in revenue.

Take the salary of 10 employees out of the ad budget to avoid laying them off & you will then have to layoff 250 people AND you still have to lay off the first 10.

Something to look at, if you ever want to see this in action - unscientifically, of course. Watch what people use. You will probably find rabid NASCAR fans are much more apt to be carrying Sprint.

11-30-09 06:06 PM
    This is the way a lot of things are financed in business - almost like a municipal bond.
    Clearwire holds a lot of promise, these bonds are certainly not being issued without Intel and Sprint putting some of their own backing on the line - not in today's economy, especially as a publicly traded subsidiary of Sprint.

Clearwire quietly raises another $920 million - MarketWatch

This is a clear case of borrowing from Peter to pay Paul. It's a ton of debt to ride on less than half-a-million subscribers world-wide, parented by a company in negative subscriber growth, and combined net-income-losses in excess of $30B in just the past two years.

So, again, maybe business gets done this way, but it's also why business is in the sh*ts right now, too much borrowing in the face of declining revenue. We know where that has put lots of companies, and I'm fairly certain Sprint will not be granted a bailout.
    11-30-09 07:58 PM
147 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD