Somehow i am still missing where verizon clearily carries more smart phones and better phone as per my original comment...
    I don't see any smartphone advantage with VZW. Sprint has just as many, if not more - and Sprint also appears to have more feature phones. In BlackBerry, VZW had an advantage until recently - but that was because they still offered some that were older than dinosaurs.

On the smartphone side, VZW still offers the XV69XX - I think its because they couldn't sell any of them.

If we leave out Symbian & Linux platforms, Sprint wins as VZW doesn't have a Palm in its lineup - of course, Sprint doesn't have an Android 2.0 either, but that will be remedied shortly.

Maybe I'll run a direct comparison of the smartphone lineup on each carrier. Just not right now...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-09 03:54 PM
    You forgot to mention Sprint Family Plan w/ Data & Text pricing. That's a double and triple advantage to Sprint.

Sprint doesn't charge $30 data service on top of $10 voice (total $40) for each phone on the same family account. Each additional line after the first 2 is only $20, so $10 for voice and $10 for unlimited data/text. I have 5 lines for my account, that a hugh saving with 5 smartphones. As a premiere customer, I can have up to 10 lines for the same account.
    Last edited by leskchan; 11-09-09 at 04:41 PM.
    11-09-09 04:36 PM
    Thank you for a well thought out and unbiased comparison.
    11-09-09 04:36 PM
    All I can say is that is a shame Sprint announced today the are laying off 2000 to 2500 of its employees, while announcing a 1 BILLION front money to Clearwire for WI-MAX stuff. Interesting.
    11-09-09 05:24 PM
    Only reason i counted Touch Pro and Touch Pro 2 different phones is because they are completely different phones.. Which the storm and storm 2 appear to be almost the same construction...

For someone telling me not to skew data to support my argument you didn't even take the effort to actually go to sprints website and look at the phones they offer as per your statement "I don't know wbout sprint but I counted 10 smartphones on VZW without berries." What do you count as a smart phone? If you go by sprints smartphone/pda they have way more then 11... or if you go by verizon's a blackberry isnt a smart phone...
    But if you want to swing the data that way.. Add the instinct s30 and the instinct HD and remove the 1 BB that i listed and remove teh touch pro and you have.. well 10 again... so 10 Sprint smart phones vs 10 Verizon smart phones...
    Add in the tour for both, the curve for both... and now give verizon the Storm II and sprint the 8350i and you have.. well still the same numbers....

Edit:
    Wait i forgot about the HTC Snap, Samsung Ace and the upcoming Palm Pixi for sprint...
    Also you could count the Palm Centro...

Somehow i am still missing where verizon clearily carries more smart phones and better phone as per my original comment...
    I was away from a computer, and have no idea what sprint's website would be, nor do I really give a crap...... i guess the point that I was trying to make is.... if you are going to compare the smartphone lineup, you should count them all, not just the one's exclusive to one carrier or the other or the ones that you deem to be new enough or different enough to be worthy of making the list....

You won't sway my argument either way with phone lineup... anyone that says that a carrier is better than another based on their phone selection is completely moronic.
    11-09-09 05:26 PM
    Very good unbiased write up. Thank you.
    11-09-09 06:51 PM

We hear all the time that VZW's network is superior, and it is. The actual VZW network is vastly larger than Sprint's & VZW has more towers per customer than does Sprint - or any other major carrier (There's A Map For That). But what does that mean to the average cell phone customer? Not a whole lot, after recent agreements were signed. To be completed by the end of 2009 is a full roaming arrangement where Sprint customers can roam on 100% of VZW's network, minus the areas where the two carriers both have facilities. So if you're looking for a pro-VZW item in coverage, it is now effectively gone.

Advantage: Sprint (because of rate plans - below)
    You mentioned that in-market roaming will be removed? This would severely hamper Sprint in larger area where building penetration would be key. I currently reside in a former alltel area and have full EVDO in most areas around me as it is somewhat rural. Closer I get to Austin I do pick up Vzw and switch to 1X when I lose service due to large buildings/underground.

I understand and loath that some people would rather force roam on Vzw and cost the company more than just leave and get the correct provider that they should get. You get what you pay for and Sprint fits the bill where I reside and frequent for the price.
    11-09-09 07:21 PM
    You forgot to mention Sprint Family Plan w/ Data & Text pricing. That's a double and triple advantage to Sprint.

Sprint doesn't charge $30 data service on top of $10 voice (total $40) for each phone on the same family account. Each additional line after the first 2 is only $20, so $10 for voice and $10 for unlimited data/text. I have 5 lines for my account, that a hugh saving with 5 smartphones. As a premiere customer, I can have up to 10 lines for the same account.
    Outstanding point - I thought about going into family plan advantages, but I wanted to keep it out of encyclopedia size.

Besides, if I did include it, I'd have to then judge Sprint the winner & then Lastraid would accuse me of being a Sprint fanboy.

What I keep looking at - and this is directed towards those who are negatively impacted by the current worsening economy - is that if Sprint coverage is good in your area, it is difficult to justify VZW, especially with the new roaming agreements.

If I take say two Touch Pro2s or a pair of BlackBerry Tours, I would spend about $150 more per line on the hardware devices. Then looking at VZW vs Sprint on a family plan, with Sprint, I get a lower initial rate, then only $20 for each additional line. On VZW, I get a higher initial rate, then $10 per line, plus $30 per line for data, plus $10 per line for navigation, plus $15 per line for TV - oh wait, few VZW phones have TV, so let's leave off TV.

Two lines with unlimited text & data...

VZW 1400 minutes: $180.00

Sprint 1500 minutes: $129.00

Savings: $50

Two lines with unlimited text, data & navigation...

VZW 1400 minutes: $200.00

Sprint 1500 minutes: $130.00

Savings: $70

Four lines with text & data...

VZW 1400 minutes: $260.00

Sprint 1500 minutes: $170.00

Savings: $90.00

Four lines with text, data & navigation...

VZW 1400 minutes: $300.00

Sprint 1500 minutes: $170.00

Savings: $130.00

Sprint, like VZW, allows you to have data on some lines & no data on others. The difference is Sprint will allow you to have any plan variant on any line. Want 3 lines no data & one data or one smartphone, one feature phone & two regular phones? VZW restricts which of those lines can be primary, while Sprint allows you to mix & match.

And, of course, the Sprint plans give you everything except international & tethering.

Regardless, we're talking real money here - what could you do with the $50-$130 monthly saved above? Is it really worth that much money to be able to sit around & smugly brag about your VZW service?

If I were a regular consumer, it would be a no-brainer & I'd be carrying Sprint phones.
    11-09-09 07:34 PM
    I thought this was a very well written comparison of the two. Very informative.
    11-09-09 08:26 PM
    the ONLY reason why I'm not with Verizon is cost of the unlimited plan...my monthly minute usage range from 2000-5000/month, and I text anywhere from 5000-9000/month...I really want to be with VZ because they're service is solid...I experienced how much better VZ is over Sprint when Hurricane IKE it Houston. My friends with VZ never lost service, whereas service hasn't even restored to 100% (like it was BEFORE the storm) yet...

I'm in contract with Sprint right now, just renewed it in July, but I would break contract and jump to Verizon in a heartbeat if they drop their unlimited plan $30 down to $120
    Last edited by MeetJoeAsian; 11-09-09 at 08:40 PM.
    11-09-09 08:34 PM
    nice job giving us background on both sides of the fence
    11-09-09 08:36 PM
    Mods, please move this thread to the Sprint forum. Its more advertising sprint than having anything to do with VZW.
    The OP had everything to do with VZW - if you can't handle the realities of discussion, close your browser & go elsewhere. Or you might be able to explain to us what the Random Reps thread you're so active in has to do with VZW.

This forum is full of arrogance - my initial intention was to shut down some of that arrogance, shed a lot of reality on the subject & explain why VZW charges more - personally, I think I did a pretty decent job of defending VZW's pricing, as well as giving a good word to Sprint - something too many on these sites fail to do.

I have been particularly hard on Sprint in the past, but I have also been rough on VZW. Why? Because I hold no loyalty to any carrier & I call it like I see it.

Another little tidbit to shut down some of the arrogance - Sprint pays slightly better than does VZW. And, to Lastraid's comment about 1,000 people laid off at Sprint - it is actually 2,000-2,500 & reflects a higher level of customer satisfaction that results in fewer calls per subscriber. The cuts reflect internal & external positions, as call centers are now overstaffed. They have cut their customer calls by over 30% in the past year & those gains are accelerating.

VZW people should be very concerned - instead I see reps whining about being in high-volume queues. Fine - you sit around without back-to-back calls & you will find yourself expendable. There are reports that VZW & AT&T may both be contemplating cutting way back on outsourcing & may be consolidating call centers. None of you are safe in your jobs & you should be begging to get on those higher volume queues & praying for more calls.

Competition is good - instead of badmouthing Sprint, you should be thankful for their existence. When I was with AT&T, we used to tell our people that MCI & Sprint were good for us, because they made us better. We disciplined employees who badmouthed the competition.

The Sprint layoffs are a good thing, considering they were staffed way up to handle upset customers - now that customers are no longer unhappy, too many Sprint reps have been sitting around without much to do, just like the VZW reps I've read in the Random Reps thread. The same one that really needs to be moved to the Social Forums.

These days, Sprint customers leave Sprint because they see iPhones & BOGOs and other schemes cooked up by the competition, because the competition doesn't want to compete on price & the average consumer is too stupid to look at the financial ramifications of long-term costs.

Don't forget - it is VZW who is now trying to play catchup in the data arena - they have the lowest percentage of data users of any of the big four & Sprint has the highest - because of phones & pricing.

The Network isn't exclusive anymore.

So Darth, until you can put forth something of value & on-topic in this thread, why don't you ignore it & go hang with the crowd in the Random Reps thread.

And please - don't anyone quote my long posts in their entirety anymore. No one should have to read them, or scroll through them, more than once.
    11-09-09 08:39 PM
    This thread gives pros and cons of each..... like if you want cheap phones and easy warranty service then get VZW.....if it was nothing other than sprint, I would agree. but this is a discussion comparing the two and what makes each an advantage in different categories....

And seeing as how its you that is making the ridiculous complaint that this doesnt belong here, I say the whiner would have to be you
    11-09-09 08:43 PM
    Twins,

You know I have mucho respect for you, and typically won't disagree with you on much. On this thread, I have to. Noone is saying competition isn't good, it does drive a company to be better. However, vzw's never hidden that the prices are higher due to higher infrastructure costs. Everyone knows how much we spend on the network, we announce it openly. We're releasing another 20-some devices in the next 7 weeks. We now have Android and a Storm version that WORKS. Plus getting the Omnia 2, we're focusing less customer gain on the network (but spending on it'll either increase or remain the same) and more on device lineup. Plus, internal documents state 4G development and build plans are running on schedule, so I don't see Blackberry having a compatibility issue being one of our concerns.

11-09-09 09:05 PM
    This thread gives pros and cons of each..... like if you want cheap phones and easy warranty service then get VZW.....if it was nothing other than sprint, I would agree. but this is a discussion comparing the two and what makes each an advantage in different categories....
    Agreed - there are pros & cons to each. What I did was illustrate the biggest ones.

But there are times when you come across people who cannot argue a point or discuss it - so they are made uncomfortable & just want that bothersome thread to just go away.

I find it funny that when I defend VZW & go after a competitor, the VZW reps high-five me, but often fail to support me in public. They sit back & watch the carnage. When i say something that refutes anything they may have once told someone, they get snooty with me.

I could have just as easily posted this thread in the Sprint forums - but why? I've hammered enough Sprint people, they'd all see it as a pro-VZW piece. Instead, I posted it here, since the VZW forums are probably the least helpful & least truthful on this site - and often the most arrogant. I then invited people from other forums to read it AND asked them to be nice, if they chose to respond. I didn't want to start a flame war.

Is Sprint the best carrier? no. Is VZW the best carrier? no. But VZW is certainly in the running with AT&T for the most blatantly arrogant. Each carrier has pros & cons. If you need a lot of hand-holding & don't mind spending a lot of extra cash for that hand-holding, VZW is your choice & will likely give you a free pacifier just to make you happy. If you don't need hand-holding, are willing to take some responsibility for yourself and not demand things you shouldn't get, there are a lot of options out there.

I am done for a bit - I am a little too hot under the collar to be of much good here, plus i made a promise to the admin here to be nice.
    11-09-09 09:06 PM
    Ok Someone check TwinX's screenname this cannot be the same TwinX that I'm used to.....Mod's!!!!!

I'm just Stunned at the level of balance objective opinion in here, i almost needed my resporator.
    11-09-09 10:31 PM
    Ok Someone check TwinX's screenname this cannot be the same TwinX that I'm used to.....Mod's!!!!!

I'm just Stunned at the level of balance objective opinion in here, i almost needed my resporator.
    I am in the same boat as you.. I can't believe this is the same Twinx2dad that i had many arguments with about subsidizing networks in rural locations... This most recent post has outlined exactly what i have been trying to get across to people.. I went to a verizon store with a friend (who was getting his droid and screen protectors) and the manager asked me if i wanted one.. my friend promptly informed him i am on sprint.. he tried to get me to switch but when i told him i am on a 6 line business plan he agreed they couldn't even match the price. Then he went into the speech about the network and all that and i calmly said to him, "I understand, but you must understand sprint has a general roaming contract with verizon so anywhere verizon is, i can roam for free on it".. he had nothing to say to that argument and we just went on with our discussion about android 2.0 vs blackberry os vs webos.. He was very knowledgeable about the developments in phones and was respectful after he understood the standard sales pitch was falling upon deaf ears with me... I will say the Motorola Droid is a very very nice phone.. but it does have some major cons IMHO that i wouldn't buy it..
    11-09-09 11:16 PM
    Who's whining? This thread, the entire premise of it has more to do with glorifying sprint than it has anything to do with VZW. All I'm doing is asking that it be moved to the proper forum. If I ever go into the sprint or at&t forums and see threads that are basically about vzw, I'd ask for them to be moved HERE.

It is an unbiased comparison which you believe glorifies Sprint because it reveals Verizon's weaknesses. It's like going to a honda civic forum and you see a post of a teen who tried to race a porsche. The porsche beats the civic hands down, but the post is still about the civic, not about how porsche is better than hondas. The original post has everything to do with Verizon, and sprint, and networks, and phones, and so on. Just because you don't like the Verizon-related article's conclusions doesn't mean that it's no longer Verizon-related. Last time I checked, this was a public forum that's not hosted on Verizon's website or sponsored by them.

11-10-09 01:25 AM
    Well, take this one for what you will, but I had a call from an alleged Sprint employee today, who has our service because they've begun outsourcing call center stuff to foreign countries. (And supposedly she can only take so many English-Second-Language calls per day before it drives her nuts.)

Haven't tried annoying any Sprint call centers to find out for myself, but it might shine some light on a few things mentioned in this thread if it's true.
    11-10-09 03:52 AM
    So.... Some things to note, and I have no idea if they've been pointed out to this point since I haven't had time to read every post...

But even though Sprint may (or soon may) be able to roam off of all Verizon's towers, this still does NOT mean there service will be as good....

For one, Verizon has roaming agreements with several, smaller carriers, which Sprint may possibly not have agreements with.

But more importantly, even though Sprint may roam on Verizon towers, Sprint devices are going to prefer Sprint towers over Verizon's. Which means that whenever you're in an area where you're getting signal from a Sprint tower, even if there's a Verizon tower closer, you'll still usually connect with the Sprint tower, since its going to be on top of the PRL.... And that's even if the Verizon tower could give you better signal...

So the whole Sprint being able to roam on Verizon towers really doesn't make too much of a difference unless you're in an area where Sprint doesn't offer service....

Last edited by R.O.C.; 11-10-09 at 05:20 AM.
    11-10-09 05:15 AM
    So.... Some things to note, and I have no idea if they've been pointed out to this point since I haven't had time to read every post...

But even though Sprint may (or soon may) be able to roam off of all Verizon's towers, this still does NOT mean there service will be as good....

For one, Verizon has roaming agreements with several, smaller carriers, which Sprint may possibly not have agreements with.

But more importantly, even though Sprint may roam on Verizon towers, Sprint devices are going to prefer Sprint towers over Verizon's. Which means that whenever you're in an area where you're getting signal from a Sprint tower, even if there's a Verizon tower closer, you'll still usually connect with the Sprint tower, since its going to be on top of the PRL.... And that's even if the Verizon tower could give you better signal...

So the whole Sprint being able to roam on Verizon towers really doesn't make too much of a difference unless you're in an area where Sprint doesn't offer service....

Your post doesn't contain many facts.. just speculations and talking points...
    First.. Sprint towers are not in the PRL... PRL standards for Preferred Roaming List... Yes if you are in a sprint coverage area you can't roam off verizon, but it has already been proven by many 3rd parties that sprints primary coverage network is usually much better then verizon in terms of signal strength and 3g speeds.
    Sprint has more roaming contracts with small CDMA carriers then verizon (and there are not many of those left anyway).
    "But even though Sprint may (or soon may) be able to roam off of all Verizon's towers, this still does NOT mean there service will be as good...." Sprint already can roam off a majority of verizon towers (sprint currently has a general roam agreement) and the service has been great... What would make the service not good.. Only thing you can not do is call *2 while roaming.. otherwise it is just like being in a primary coverage area..
    Twinx2dad put out a very good article comparing facts between the two companies and people still try to bash sprint with speculation and non-factual store rep talking points..
    11-10-09 06:38 AM
    Took me a while to gain the energy to read such a post but I have to say well worth the time. Great info for anyone thinking about picking vzw/sprint or anyone on either carrier.
    Thanks Twinz
    11-10-09 09:08 AM
    Sprint has more roaming contracts with small CDMA carriers then verizon (and there are not many of those left anyway).
    "But even though Sprint may (or soon may) be able to roam off of all Verizon's towers, this still does NOT mean there service will be as good...." Sprint already can roam off a majority of verizon towers (sprint currently has a general roam agreement) and the service has been great....
    Because of different roaming agreements, no carrier will have the exact footprint of another. You will find dead spots on Sprint where a VZW phone will work & VZW dead spots where a Sprint phone will work. Overall, unless you often find yourself in one of these dead spots, it is a moot subject - I mean, how many times do you find yourself 100 miles into the North Dakota wilderness?

We're not talking AT&T or T-Mobile here - VZW & Sprint's coverage is now roughly equal.

If we took out roaming areas, VZW would be superior for one reason - frequency. 800MHz cuts through walls better than 1900MHz PCS at fringe coverage areas. 1900MHz PCS is a local technology, after all & much more line-of-sight than 800MHz. But because of the shorter range performance of the higher frequency technology, Sprint typically has a much greater facility density. In my area, you can find yourself 4 miles from a VZW tower, but you're almost never more than a mile from a Sprint tower. More towers means less signal degradation & better odds of higher speeds. In rural or fringe areas, PCS gets sketchy, but your phone will then pick up the stronger 800MHz signals, as long as you don't set it to Home Only.

What you don't want to do is get Sprint if you live & call primarily from a roaming area. Of course, the same thing would apply to any carrier, unless you have no other options.

It is one thing to compare a CDMA carrier network to a GSM carrier network in North America. CDMA wins hands down & anyone who tells you differently is a liar. But the very nature of CDMA means that each national CDMA carrier is roughly comparable to another national CDMA carrier. VZW makes too much money from their roaming agreements to exclude anyone.

If the network performance is basically equal, you then have only price vs customer service vs device offerings to consider & balance. Is any carrier worth $50 to $200 (or more) per month extra? That is something each customer has to judge for themselves.

11-10-09 12:35 PM
    Your post doesn't contain many facts.. just speculations and talking points...
    First.. Sprint towers are not in the PRL... PRL standards for Preferred Roaming List... Yes if you are in a sprint coverage area you can't roam off verizon, but it has already been proven by many 3rd parties that sprints primary coverage network is usually much better then verizon in terms of signal strength and 3g speeds.
    "But even though Sprint may (or soon may) be able to roam off of all Verizon's towers, this still does NOT mean there service will be as good...." Sprint already can roam off a majority of verizon towers (sprint currently has a general roam agreement) and the service has been great... What would make the service not good.. Only thing you can not do is call *2 while roaming.. otherwise it is just like being in a primary coverage area..
    Twinx2dad put out a very good article comparing facts between the two companies and people still try to bash sprint with speculation and non-factual store rep talking points..
    So you say MY post was full of speculation when you say things like:

"Sprints primary coverage network is usually much better then verizon in terms of signal strength and 3g speeds."

Really? Which rep told you that?

And:

"Sprint has more roaming contracts with small CDMA carriers then verizon (and there are not many of those left anyway)."

Again... This is unlikely. Verizon wouldn't have the largest coverage by area if they didn't have their roaming agreements...

"Sprint already can roam off a majority of verizon towers (sprint currently has a general roam agreement) and the service has been great... What would make the service not good.. Only thing you can not do is call *2 while roaming.. otherwise it is just like being in a primary coverage area.."

If you read my post, you'd see the part where I talked about being in an area where you are connected to a Sprint tower thats giving you poor signal even when theres a Verizon tower thats closer that could give you better signal...etc (I'm not goint to type it all out again). There are many areas that you'll get better Verizon service than Sprint... And similarly, there are areas where you'll get better service with Sprint, just not nearly as many of them...

As for this:

"Twinx2dad put out a very good article comparing facts between the two companies and people still try to bash sprint with speculation and non-factual store rep talking points.."

Twins knows I respect his posts... But I just have my own input.... And just curious... Why should your speculation ridden posts have any credibility to them?...
    Last edited by R.O.C.; 11-10-09 at 01:41 PM.
    11-10-09 01:34 PM
    So you say MY post was full of speculation when you say things like:

"Sprints primary coverage network is usually much better then verizon in terms of signal strength and 3g speeds."

Really? Which rep told you that?

Sprint 3G Data Service Speeds Top AT&T and Verizon in Download Performance Test | Business Wire

And:

"Sprint has more roaming contracts with small CDMA carriers then verizon (and there are not many of those left anyway)."

Again... This is unlikely. Verizon wouldn't have the largest coverage by area if they didn't have their roaming agreements...
    Considering Sprint doesn't maintain the majority of the network (except in high population dense areas) while verizon is the largest maintainer of the CDMA infastructure in the united states.. You appear to be dead wrong again... Good to know you attempt to bash me by not really knowing anything and apperently don't know how to look something up...

"Sprint already can roam off a majority of verizon towers (sprint currently has a general roam agreement) and the service has been great... What would make the service not good.. Only thing you can not do is call *2 while roaming.. otherwise it is just like being in a primary coverage area.."

If you read my post, you'd see the part where I talked about being in an area where you are connected to a Sprint tower thats giving you poor signal even when theres a Verizon tower thats closer that could give you better signal...etc (I'm not goint to type it all out again). There are many areas that you'll get better Verizon service than Sprint... And similarly, there are areas where you'll get better service with Sprint, just not nearly as many of them...
    Actually, as twinx2dad has already pretty much stated you get better density with sprint.. meaning in primary sprint coverage areas your signal is usually better then the comparing verizon... This doesn't hold true in rural areas, but sprint doesn't maintain a network in the majority of rural areas...

As for this:

"Twinx2dad put out a very good article comparing facts between the two companies and people still try to bash sprint with speculation and non-factual store rep talking points.."

Twins knows I respect his posts... But I just have my own input.... And just curious... Why should your speculation ridden posts have any credibility to them?...
    Because i actually know what i am talking about, or atleast have the ability to research the subject...
    11-10-09 03:36 PM
147 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD