The 3G(s) fails in many ways, first of all its on ATT. The data speeds are so slow compared to a PDA on Verizon. That's why customers outside see WiFi as a benefit because America's fastest network is really not that fast. I put my blackberry's side by side on the ATT and VZW network and there is no comparison. VZW blows ATT away. I have a 3G(s) as well and its even slower than my Bold. I do not work for verizon, but I work for ATT. I'm going to give up my discount so I can get better coverage and faster data speeds. The iphone on att is like my girlfriend..sexy, hott at times, but not reliable. Any blackberry on verizon is like my wife..always there for me, reliable, and always gonna put out when I request it. I'm sure my opinion of the iphone would change if the exclusive rights ran out and verizon picked it up. I will keep my 3G(s) because it's a change of pace for UI, but I will always keep my VZW Blackberry (especially the Tour next month) in the other pocket when I need to make phone calls that don't drop and when I need to access the internet quickly. Of course, this all applies to my calling are in the South. I'm sure others have different results elsewhere, but I gave ATT a chance to change it and they have not. Like getting herpes, I went into it quickly without thinking now I have to pay for the next 2 years. It's all good though, rocking 3 phones makes me the geek that i am. I can't wait for the Tour. The storm almost did it, eventhough the new update makes it a lot better. I miss my keypad of my curve and bold. Also, tethering the Tour to my Mac will probably be a lot better than my Bold does (the 3g(s) can't do it yet).
    06-27-09 09:44 PM
    Wow, this was kinda outta left field and probably will be moved in less the 5 posts...

Opinion noted though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-27-09 09:49 PM
    coolio thanks for the writeup.. in the right situation at&t can be faster... depending on where your at..

but I use verizon and really like the service...
    06-27-09 10:19 PM
    in before "verizon is 3g" comment.
    06-27-09 10:40 PM
    wow and i almost bought a 3g s today out of instant gratification. you definitely just dissuaded me. thanks!
    06-27-09 11:05 PM
    Soon AT&T and Verizon will be on the same playing field when they are running on LTE (4G). No more GSM vs. CDMA.

The selling points are going to become more about who has the most coverage and who is selling what device exclusively.

As far as speed and technology goes they both will be exactly on the same page.
    06-28-09 01:56 AM
    You deserve an award for your cheesy similes.

06-28-09 02:05 AM
    The iphone on att is like my girlfriend..sexy, hott at times, but not reliable.
    I nominate this for Crackberry Forums Quote of the Year.

Also, next time you have extra money to blow, just send a portion of it my way please.
    06-28-09 02:24 AM
    Soon AT&T and Verizon will be on the same playing field when they are running on LTE (4G). No more GSM vs. CDMA.

The selling points are going to become more about who has the most coverage and who is selling what device exclusively.

I say this all the time, but the carriers wars won't end because of my words. I just know that their is no way that Verizon is faster than a GSM phone that has wi-fi enabled. If I have wi-fi connected on my Bold right now, do you think Verizon's superior 3G would be faster? That's not even a fair comparison.
    Last edited by Sinternet Jr.; 06-28-09 at 06:08 AM.
    06-28-09 06:04 AM
    I love wifi just like the next guy but i have tested it. When I'm at home I go on youtube with my storm and bold (fast processor than storm). The storm stream with no hitches while my bold has lots of missing frames and takes forever to load. My 3Gs actually performs well here on wifi. In starbucks across town i get the same results: storm good...bold average...iphone good. When I'm driving down the street my storm still performs well, but for some reason my 3Gs and bold can't get a signal. Let's try the park where my kids play...hmmmm, my storm gets a 3G signal and my bold and iphone do not. I better call the FCC so they can regulate this awesome WiFi signal in parks and driving down the road. I need to write the FCC a letter because my Wifi carrier doesn't work everywhere i am. Yes, I am waiting for LTE as well. That will make everyone even (Verizon and ATT anyways). But, VZW has the fastest migration strategy and resources to launch nationwide and with some girth. I've seen the other teams plan and it looks like it will follow a year or two later in select markets. Just look at the last bandwidth auction where verizon just but so much POPs that it resembles their current 3G coverage. Comparing apples to apples, ATT's 3G network is still in the starting gate. But hey, they could make a comeback. Just remember that before ATT wants to go to LTE they want to get that 7.2 implemented first. Verizon is going straight to LTE from Rev A (i did see that Rev C is in the works). I wish Sprint wasn't a trillion dollars in debt, because I would like to see a nationwide launch of WiMax. My boy in Baltimore says that sh*t is fast. Oh well, thats what happens when you give your incompetent CEO's the biggest bonuses in the biz.
    06-28-09 11:05 AM
    I say this all the time, but the carriers wars won't end because of my words. I just know that their is no way that Verizon is faster than a GSM phone that has wi-fi enabled. If I have wi-fi connected on my Bold right now, do you think Verizon's superior 3G would be faster? That's not even a fair comparison.

this has nothing to do with the users comment..

the truth is when they are both on LTE if either network has wi-fi enabled bb's they both willl....

the reason cdma hasn't had a wi-fi berry is because of technical issues with the only chipssets that are available to cdma...

this isn't a wi-fi vs cell network battle..

this is a network cdma vs gsm battle..

of course wi-fi is faster...

however LTE has already broken the speeds of most any home network cable/dsl so potentially lte can be faster then a wi-fi connection to the internet

a wi-fi connection alone is faster but to the internet wi-fi is limited by the backbone that it sits on.

But even with lte wi-fi is not a mute point being that lte probably still wont work well in basements and some places just flat out wont have coverage.
    06-28-09 02:25 PM
    this has nothing to do with the users comment..

the truth is when they are both on LTE if either network has wi-fi enabled bb's they both willl....

the reason cdma hasn't had a wi-fi berry is because of technical issues with the only chipssets that are available to cdma...

this isn't a wi-fi vs cell network battle..

this is a network cdma vs gsm battle..

of course wi-fi is faster...

however LTE has already broken the speeds of most any home network cable/dsl so potentially lte can be faster then a wi-fi connection to the internet

a wi-fi connection alone is faster but to the internet wi-fi is limited by the backbone that it sits on.

But even with lte wi-fi is not a mute point being that lte probably still wont work well in basements and some places just flat out wont have coverage.

What I bolded is incorrect, and I've stated my reason in another thread. How do I know? Because I've tested Berries with wifi and everything was good to go. CDMA will have wifi BlackBerries before LTE, which you probably know by now. Now I'm trying to understand the talks of Verizon's coverage being so fast that it doesn't really need Wifi talk. Also, why did you bring up GSM vs CDMA and LTE? Ignore AT&T and let's say Sprint had a wifi Tour in the market, and Verizon didn't. Would Verizon's 3G be faster than Sprint's with wifi?
    06-28-09 02:34 PM

What I bolded is incorrect, and I've stated my reason in another thread. How do I know? Because I've tested Berries with wifi and everything was good to go. CDMA will have wifi BlackBerries before LTE, which you probably know by now. Now I'm trying to understand the talks of Verizon's coverage being so fast that it doesn't really need Wifi talk. Also, why did you bring up GSM vs CDMA and LTE? Ignore AT&T and let's say Sprint had a wifi Tour in the market, and Verizon didn't. Would Verizon's 3G be faster than Sprint's with wifi?

well no offense but I trust cx's posts about this issue.. so thats what I am standing by..

more then likely previous to your testing I feel confident that the battery issue was valid..

reguardless of that point

what I bolded is a mute point..

wi-fi technology has nothing to do with sprints 3g network..

wi-fi is wi-fi and relys on a wi-fi access point connected to some sort of internet connection..

I want wi-fi really bad but wi-fi doesn't make a specific cell network faster then the other..
    06-28-09 02:43 PM

Yes & no - same basic technology, different spectrums & a large difference in bandwidth. VZW wins easily in the bandwidth and will offer performance starting roughly where AT&T leaves off.

As for the WiFi issue - again, I have a mobile phone to carry with me on the go. If I am semi-stationary, I have laptops & such, with much better data security protections. You can't use WiFi running down the road. And, when you get right to it, GSM slows dramatically in a mobile environment due to hard tower handoffs, while CDMA & LTE don't see as dramatic a drop CDMA & LTE don't have to deal with hard handoffs - it is a fairly seamless transition.

Driving across town or coast to coast, CDMA spanks WiFi in average speed and usability. It also does far better than GSM in average speed.

If you're sitting still, break out the laptop or get on your home computer.

And no, I don't care what you want to do - I can get online with big screens in the bathroom or kitchen here - compare apples & oranges with me & I stop caring what you want & will only focus on the realistic.

06-28-09 03:11 PM
    And no, I don't care what you want to do - I can get online with big screens in the bathroom or kitchen here - compare apples & oranges with me & I stop caring what you want & will only focus on the realistic.
    But, but, but, I want wifi that works on the freeway. I want it tied to gps so I can find my way to the bathroom. I want it to work in caves. And I want it to be any company other than verizon and I want it to be better just because I say it is better.

06-29-09 03:56 PM
    07-02-09 11:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD