Hello,
    I've started shopping for a smartphone and have access to very good phone and plan pricing discounts at VZW through my employer. I can get the 8330 Curve for $105 with no rebates, no shipping, out-the-door price. However, the lack of wifi on this phone (and other VZW Blackberry devices) has me concerned. I would imagine that wifi access points provide a MUCH faster data transfer speed while web surfing than does the open air Verizon 3G or EV-DO network. I am talking here in terms of REAL speeds and not THEORETICAL ones. So I am asking for help from users and their experience. On web forums you will sometimes read people talking about how fast Verizon's existing 3G network is, but is it really that fast? Or does it sometimes crawl? How consistently do you find it to be acceptably fast? And, although this question would vary for everyone, where do you go that sometimes doesn't get you a signal? (basement, just outside of urban areas, etc). I know that wifi networks aren't available everywhere, but I am thinking it would be nice to be able to connect via wifi in those areas where the Verizon signal is weak or non-existent. I guess I like to at least have the option... Thanks in advance!
    10-31-08 02:13 PM
    Well you can stop thinking that you can connect to WIFI like you stated you would like to do, it will not happen.

Also I have used my Curve for a while now and have never had a problem with speed or loading pages. It's not as fast as computer based broadband, but good enough for a mobile phone. I have even had low signal and still was able to connect to pages for viewing at a reasonable speed, but Verizon network is so spread out i have coverage mostly everywhere.
    10-31-08 02:18 PM
    Everyone here has a bias. Check out consumer reports or third party speed testing.
    10-31-08 02:25 PM
    There are no CDMA Blackberries that have WIFI, regardless of carrier. Only GSM ones have WIFI and a lot of that has to do with the fact that their EDGE data speeds are a bit lacking and having WIFI onboard helps offset that.

CDMA WIFI Blackberries will be coming in the next few months with the introduction of the 9330 Curve (Niagra based BB).
    10-31-08 04:06 PM
    Take into consideration that between those speeds, your blackberry can be the bottleneck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-31-08 04:34 PM
    that's exactly what I tell everyone, you could have wifi on the phone, but, the CPU and everything isn't going to take that much more advantage of it....the only place you MIGHT see more speed on wifi would be sending pics through e-mail....
    10-31-08 05:08 PM
    There are times when I can't get a digital signal inside certain buildings. Having wifi probably would not make a difference any way. Those particular places have a wifi signal, but it it's password protected.
    10-31-08 06:16 PM
    yester18 wrote...

Well you can stop thinking that you can connect to WIFI like you stated you would like to do, it will not happen.
    Uhh, yes, I am aware. That is the whole point of this thread actually, and the reason the words " *No* wifi " are featured prominently in the title...

Nonetheless, thank you for your comments about where you receive the signal and how. That is helpful.

JRSCCivic98 wrote ...

There are no CDMA Blackberries that have WIFI, regardless of carrier. Only GSM ones have WIFI and a lot of that has to do with the fact that their EDGE data speeds are a bit lacking and having WIFI onboard helps offset that.)

Perfectly non-understandable comment. Please consider the knowledge of the audience when responding. What is CMDA? What is EDGE, and, how does having WIFI onboard do any offset of that?

dhyde79 wrote ...

you could have wifi on the phone, but, the CPU and everything isn't going to take that much more advantage of it....the only place you MIGHT see more speed on wifi would be sending pics through e-mail....

This comment seems to be reasonable, but where is the data backing it up? When one Googles user comments about the 8820, you find loads of accolades for increased web browsing speed (for instance) when using wifi access.

cdf3 wrote ...

There are times when I can't get a digital signal inside certain buildings. Having wifi probably would not make a difference any way. Those particular places have a wifi signal, but it it's password protected.

Obviously this OP question has to do with access to networks that one *can* access ...
    10-31-08 06:23 PM
    Perfectly non-understandable comment. Please consider the knowledge of the audience when responding. What is CMDA? What is EDGE, and, how does having WIFI onboard do any offset of that?
    No offense, but it sounds to me like you need to either hit Wikipedia and do some research or continue to read these forums before you post. If you don't know what something is, search, you will learn by reading. A lot of us are not going to reexplain or rewrite something that's been covered many times over. The knowledge is here, just take it in... that is all that's required for you to understand.

Your lack of knowledge is your #1 reason for not knowing what you bought in the first place. Perhaps it would be a good idea to research your products prior to purchase. That way you can make a very good informed decision. BTW, asking a sales rep in the store to explain half this stuff is probably not going to give you "correct" answers. Some of those people have even less training/knowledge in the subject then you do.

Again, don't take this post the wrong way, but understand that you do have the free will and capability to learn by research.
    10-31-08 08:51 PM
    What does this have to do with marriage or divorce?? I'm soo confused.

Graffen, with 2 posts so far on the forum, both of them in this thread, it would behoove you not to tell others how to post ("Please consider the knowledge of the audience when responding. What is CMDA? What is EDGE, and, how does having WIFI onboard do any offset of that?"). Most people on this website know how search for the term "CMDA" if not, point your internet browser to google and type it in the field and hit search. You should get 1 or 2 results to read

Also, the wifi portion of this discussion is moot, I'm not why it's even being discussed after the "it's not available" answer.
    10-31-08 09:00 PM
    Guys, you are right. There are better places to get information than here.

We seem to have had a spade of people who can't or won't or didn't read the OP. If they had, (it exists in unedited form at the top...) ... they would know that I have not purchased a smartphone yet, from anybody. That's right. (You, too, can read it again.)

Also, they would know (having read the OP) that my concern (I even used the word "concerned") is the relative strength and reliability of the Verizon signal *without* wifi on their VZW phones. yester18 and cdf3 seemed to have read the OP, and without any much technicality at all, answered the question.

However, I am grateful to learn about the coming of the 9330, since I have a 60-day window in which to buy a smartphone until my current phone contract expires.

But again, you are right. It seems there are definitely better places to get accurate, *appropriate* answers on the web. I'll go there. :-)
    10-31-08 09:27 PM
    Verizon's data speed on my blackberry is descent. I wish it could be faster, but I haven't been able to compare it with the OTA speed of other carriers. So it could be faster than other carriers...I'm not sure. I have had the opportunity to use the browser on several phones from another carrier, and yes the browser speed was fast. But I eventually found out they had it running using a wifi signal, and not their OTA signal.
    10-31-08 09:37 PM
    I'm very confused, in your profile it says you have a Curve from Verizon but here:
    We seem to have had a spade of people who can't or won't or didn't read the OP. If they had, (it exists in unedited form at the top...) ... they would know that I have not purchased a smartphone yet, from anybody. That's right. (You, too, can read it again.)

You tell us you don't have one yet.

This is THE only place on the internet to get information related to Blackberry. However, sometimes instead of just asking a question that has been asked 1,000 times, a person can go and read where others asked the same question, that is specifically in reference to "researching".
    10-31-08 09:39 PM
    cdf3 wrote ...

several phones from another carrier, and yes the browser speed was fast. But I eventually found out they had it running using a wifi signal ...
    Well I'll be damned. Thank you, cdf3, for answering my question precisely. The more I read, the more I am stunned about the lack of wifi on some Blackberry phones (errr, currently ALL at Verizon). That's a dealbreaker for me. I am grateful for the opportunity to shop the Blackberry Bold next week at AT&T. Again, thanks.
    10-31-08 09:42 PM
    TheSultan wrote ...

This is THE only place on the internet to get information related to Blackberry.
    TheSultan, I am really hoping you sincerely mistyped and forgot the word "not" above, before the word 'THE' ? Because I'm definitely not feelin' your truthfulness on that comment, as I sit here reading forums on another browser tab at Black berry forums.c o m ...
    10-31-08 09:47 PM
    EDGE is the equivalent to Verizon/Alltel/Sprint's 1X connection, i.e. about 150kbps, or 3-4 times dialup, and is the "other form of connectivity" that the wifi GSM phones have, so yes, it's a drastic connection speed change from dialup plus, to broadband.

CDMA is a technology type in which the transmissions are controlled via Code Division Multiplex Access (there are other common definitions that mean the same thing for CDMA), it's the system that Verizon/Alltel/Sprint use instead of GSM.

as far as looking at users commenting on the difference in speed from wifi and non-wifi, you have to look at the bold, cause you need to compare 3G to the wifi....not slow internet to the wifi. I have a PPC 6800 with alltel and it's got both EVDO (the CDMA 3G) and wifi, and there's **NO** noticable speed difference between the two, however, when there was no EVDO in the area, it was a drastic difference.

to get an idea of what you could expect, connect your computer both to a wifi hotspot and to an ethernet connected internet connection......and see how much performance loss you have because you've got two broadband connections trying to overstep the other.
    10-31-08 09:48 PM
    However, the lack of wifi on this phone (and other VZW Blackberry devices) has me concerned. I would imagine that wifi access points provide a MUCH faster data transfer speed while web surfing than does the open air Verizon 3G or EV-DO network. I am talking here in terms of REAL speeds and not THEORETICAL ones. So I am asking for help from users and their experience.
    You asked question and people gave u their opinions and experience. People addressed ur questions but was not the answers u wanted. Guess you need to seek answers elsewhere.

10-31-08 10:00 PM
    OK, have fun with the crappy 3G signal from AT&T. Oh wait, you probably won't know what that means because you have no idea what 3G is. I tell ya what, just walk into any carrier's store and look for the BB that grabs your visual attention. Then buy it cuz it looks cool.

Don't blame anyone but yourself for not wanting to read up on what the various network technologies are.

To make it worse, you've even completely misunderstood CDF3's post. If he was comparing WIFI browsing speed to EDGE (GSM - i.e. carrier like AT&T, T-Mobile) then of course WIFI would be faster.

That's like telling people that I can boil water faster then another person, but I leave out the info that I'm using a gas stove while the other person is using a match.

I don't understand why you're getting all upset over something that you're not doing and blaming us on it.

I think what you need to do is go to various carrier's stores and play with the Blackberries they offer if you know how to use the devices. Find the one that fits your needs and go from there. I think right now you have it set in your mind that "you just want wifi", but there's no really good reasoning for it. There are tons of uses for WIFI based BB, but not all carriers support them. For example, T-Mobile has a capability called UMA, which allows you to connect and use your BB over your home wifi network and make calls for free (kinda like voip/voice over ip) and use free data as well. However, AT&T even though they sell BBs with WIFI, they don't have this capability. So, as you can see, having WIFI on one carrier can differ in capabilities to another carrier far besides the point of "my browser can pull pages up quicker". This is my point, I can sit here and write a book to try and cover all of these various aspects, but all this info is already in the HELP/FAQ section.

Here, something even easier. Go here BlackBerry FAQ - BlackBerryFAQ Have fun staying up reading all of that.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 10-31-08 at 10:09 PM.
    10-31-08 10:02 PM
    Civic is my crackberry hero of the week!
    10-31-08 11:33 PM
    I think the verizon 3G network is comparible to wifi, I have used an ipod touch in a wifi zone and my phone is just as fast.

I know that isn't comparing apples to apples, but the lack of wifi with verizon is made up with the huge area of coverage.

I have yet to find a place where I don't have coverage, including camping in the badlands of north dakota.

11-03-08 10:18 AM
    ^^^ Exactly, the people complaining about this need to realize that for the time being RIM characterizes WIFI needs with poor coverage chances, not speed needs.
    11-03-08 10:33 AM
    JRSCCivic98. You need to take a chill pill. If you havee the time to berate someone you have the time to answere the original question. This is not the first time I have seen you berating another user for a mis statement. We come here to ask questions not see how smart and superior you are.
    Thanks for your time.

No offense, but it sounds to me like you need to either hit Wikipedia and do some research or continue to read these forums before you post. If you don't know what something is, search, you will learn by reading. A lot of us are not going to reexplain or rewrite something that's been covered many times over. The knowledge is here, just take it in... that is all that's required for you to understand.

Your lack of knowledge is your #1 reason for not knowing what you bought in the first place. Perhaps it would be a good idea to research your products prior to purchase. That way you can make a very good informed decision. BTW, asking a sales rep in the store to explain half this stuff is probably not going to give you "correct" answers. Some of those people have even less training/knowledge in the subject then you do.

Again, don't take this post the wrong way, but understand that you do have the free will and capability to learn by research.
    11-04-08 05:08 PM
    Well I'll be damned. Thank you, cdf3, for answering my question precisely. The more I read, the more I am stunned about the lack of wifi on some Blackberry phones (errr, currently ALL at Verizon). That's a dealbreaker for me. I am grateful for the opportunity to shop the Blackberry Bold next week at AT&T. Again, thanks.
    Stunned by lack of wifi? Ok. On a 3G network, what's the point of wifi? Yes, Verizon's EVDO network is 3G. Perhaps AT&T has wifi on some of their BlackBerry models because they are not 3G? Oh wait, are you stunned again?
    11-05-08 10:20 AM
    JRSCCivic98. You need to take a chill pill. If you havee the time to berate someone you have the time to answere the original question. This is not the first time I have seen you berating another user for a mis statement. We come here to ask questions not see how smart and superior you are.
    Thanks for your time.

In My Opinion (and yes it is unsolicited)- you may want to read through the whole thread. Civic's comments were justified. For someone just looking for an answer- the "tone" was very condescending. If you have a question, the members here are full of answers but I don't think its asking too much to be respectful.
    11-05-08 10:06 PM
    ^^^ Wow, another new member who "Gets it". Things are starting to look up and up again for CB newcomers.
    11-05-08 10:15 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD