I can't get into a VZW for a while, but soon can upgrade. I have the Tour currently (first smartphone). Question is...I will NOT change carriers to get a certain phone, VZW has best coverage here. I mainly use my BB for internet use first, BBM second, phone calls (a given) and accessing my Emails. Any suggestions on thoughts for my next smartphone? I do not stream video if that helps or use it for music. Oh and new phone doesn't necessarily have to be a BB either. Thanks for any tips!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-10 10:17 AM
    Well I was in your shoes (Tour was my 2nd BB), and there was no way I was buying a Bold, which re-used 95% (made up number but an extremely high percentage of parts) from Tour.

I ended up with a Droid 2, which Android might be worth a look for you since you say you use the internet as your top priority. IMO, the browser on Android really is second to none. Plus it has Flash 10.1 if you get a device with Froyo (Android OS 2.2) or later.

If you use BBM a lot and/or rely on it, you might be disappointed. There are a few options you could use (pingchat, liveprofile beta, etc) but they're still not quite BBM replacements and in some cases need a fair bit of refinement.

At any rate, it may be worth looking into.
    mariefnp likes this.
    12-01-10 10:24 AM
    Play with those phones they have at the store. I went three days straight, before making my decision.
    pkcable likes this.
    12-01-10 10:45 AM
    If you like the Tour, you may want to look at the Bold. More memory, wifi, a refined keyboard are all nice improvements over Tour.

ls is right, though, go to a VZW store and get some hands-on time with devices that interest you.
    12-01-10 10:48 AM
    Play with those phones they have at the store. I went three days straight, before making my decision.
    Getting in to the Store is your best bet! The best internet experience, while still on a BB would be the Bold 9650 with 6.0 and the Webkit browser (which you can get here via a leaked OS). IF you want THE best internet experience then you probably DO have to switch to an Android phone, HOWEVER you lose BB, and the email will not be as good (in my opinion).
    12-01-10 10:51 AM
    pk, is it me, or is the forum acting a little funky because the thanking function is there, and then it isn't for some sections? Hrm, oh well. It might be something on my end.
    12-01-10 10:51 AM
    pk, is it me, or is the forum acting a little funky because the thanking function is there, and then it isn't for some sections? Hrm, oh well. It might be something on my end.
    When a post FIRST pops up the thanks button may not be there, just refresh and it will appear. I think we were posting around the same time, IF you were thinking of thanking me.

Also they are tweaking the thanks button now too, so it COULD be related to that. I believe after today we will be limited to giving out only 10 thanks a day each, BUT don't quote me on that.
    12-01-10 10:55 AM
    hey, what's wrong with giving unlimited thanks? I don't want to be seen as an ingrate, ha ha!
    12-01-10 11:01 AM
    hey, what's wrong with giving unlimited thanks? I don't want to be seen as an ingrate, ha ha!
    It's like any rich food, a little is delicious, BUT too much can make you sick.
    12-01-10 11:05 AM
    I agree, play with the devices. Corporate stores tend to have activated devices while independant stores may not have that. The only way to see differences in performance is going to be on active devices.

Regarding email on Android it definitely depends what email provider you use as well as how you use it. On my gmail, hotmail, and yahoo, it allows me to use my email folders, view archives, and so forth. This is far better for me than BIS was since that only pushed new things and you'd have to use the browser to log into your webmail account and view archives. I don't absolutely rely on receiving emails quickly, but I've never experienced much lag in the delivery, and with gmail, often it arrives on my device a second or two quicker than my bb used to.

As with any decision though, it will come down to what compromises you are personally willing to make, since every device out there (android, iphone, windows, or BB) all have plusses and minuses, just have to make a list and see what features matter most to you and what doesn't come into play as much...

On the subject of thanks, pk, can you see if they can modify it to let me thank myself? . Sometimes one personality says something another likes and feels it's thanks worthy...
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 12-01-10 at 11:55 AM.
    12-01-10 11:46 AM
    I switched to Droid2 from the 9530 a few weeks back.

I miss surepress, BBM especially the groups, and the ability to easily control my music with hardkeys (safer for driving). Email is not that big a deal but alerts and notifications are much easier to miss (maybe I can customize this a bit better).

As a pure messaging/communictaions device Blackberry does lots right.

I was really looking forward to webkit and OS6 but I want the touchscreen and have never owned a keyboard blackberry.

The droids web experience is 500 million times better, the apps are all fancier, the phone is ridiculously fast, the voice recognition is amazingly good and the Navigation is really great (it's so easy just to ask your phone for directions with one button press and have turn by turn), and you can even listen to music or Pandora with your turn by turn going at the same time......overall I am liking the Droid2 but find myself continually looking for ways to make it more like a blackberry. The notifications panel is pretty cool along with the customization of the homescreen and widgets and all that jazz.....it's been steadily growing on me. Motorola also has much better voice quality than I had on my Storm....even when using bluetooth it seems to me.....

So while I miss some things about my blackberry, I went back and used it for a day and realized that there is no way I can go back....it feels like a dinosaur now that I have tasted the fruit of another.

I liked my blackberry and probably would have gotten another, but yeah there is currently nothing available on VZW that would qualify as enough of an upgrade to make me want it.
    mariefnp likes this.
    12-01-10 04:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD