I've had my Bold for a few months now. At first I was extremely frustrated with the "call failed" issue, so I got the OS upgrade and forced 2G all the time. That fixed that problem.

However, the sound quality on voice calls is terrible! The phone will lose signal for bits at a time, dropping syllables so I can't understand the person on the other line. For example, "police" ends up sounding like "lease." I have to say "sorry, can you repeat that?" at least once every few minutes.

I thought this was an AT&T issue and was ready to terminate my contract early, but then borrowed an iPhone 3G and had NO voice quality issues at all. I made calls from the same location (my apartment) where my BB often loses signal/drops syllables. The iPhone had just 1-3 bars of signal also, but the voice quality was great and never dropped any syllables at all.

Does anyone else have poor voice quality problems on their BB? Is this something I could take up with AT&T?

I live in Orange County, CA, if that helps.
    11-17-09 10:30 AM
    I have the Bold and the iPhone.

The Bold, (And most BlackBerry's except the 8800WE) normally have great call quality when compared to other smartphones.

In my experience, the Bold works better as a "phone" than the iPhone.
    11-17-09 10:41 AM
    It could be a faulty speaker on your bold. I'd call into Warranty for some trouble shooting on your device.
    11-17-09 10:43 AM
    2nd. My Bold sounds crystal clear on both ends, and is infinitely clearer than my iPhone. Must be something specific to your phone.... Call warranty service.
    11-30-09 01:12 AM
    It also could be the network in your area. The IPhone and Bold are both in 3G mode with the iPhone being superior? I would call 611 and ask where the nearest replacement center is or hit a corporate store and test your Bold next to another unit. Here in DFW I have never had problems on my BBB nor my iPhone 3G.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-30-09 10:23 PM
    I don't have any issues with the clarity of calls or dropped calls on 3G or 2G here. The only time I use 2G is when I need to conserve the battery. The only time people complained about how I sounded on calls was when I used my Bluetooth headset, but I have a cheap one.
    12-01-09 01:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD