For the moment if you get a Rival with Verizon at Walmart it does not have to have the data plan but if you get it through Verizon it does.
    That is not correct. The Rival was removed from the list on Monday, no matter where you get it.
    01-21-10 10:09 AM
    That is not correct. The Rival was removed from the list on Monday, no matter where you get it.
    talked to the Verizon rep yesterday. He said it doesn't.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-10 01:07 PM
    I didn't assume. I asked why it can't be done. Its a fair enough question not directed directly at you but to anyone for that matter. Who said that a data block has to block pictures also.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Because when pix are transmitted they are turned into data to be sent and recovered at the other end.
    01-21-10 03:02 PM
    You can have web blocked and still have pic messaging. I am not sure what it is that they do-I know its not an all access block or something but my niece's phone has web and downloads blocked but she sends me pic messages with no problem. I forget how they did it but I know I did the same thing on my husbands phone b/c he has a flip phone that has web access ability and no desire to use it at all-but I picked the phone I did for him b/c the buttons were easier for his hands to use. He had gone online by accident a few times b/c of one of the buttons so we blocked it but he still sends pic messages.

I understand Verizon needed to make a buck-they are a business. I am just personally against the idea of forcing data plans on phones that are not BB or other smartphones. A Mulit-media 3G phone to me should not be forcing people to pay for data if they are not going to use. I had considered upgrading my grandfather's phone at some point to the Env3 because of the larger print on the screen and the speech output and the keyboard if he wanted to try and text but he is NEVER going to go online on it. I have shopped for cell phones with multiple friends who are blind/visually impaired and the Env3 and the touch have both turned out to be the best phone for a few of these friends b/c of features they had such as larger text, text read out and high contrast for some buttons. But I know none of them are using those phones for the web and should not be forced to pay for it just because that particular phone was more accessible.

There are a lot of reasons for choosing a phone-and sometimes features are not used. Forcing a data charge on a phone (and I am referring to not smart phone/BB phones) I think is just a cheap shot at getting extra $$ from customers. I KNOW its a business-but if you treat your customers well it goes a long way. That is why me and many people I know have been with vzw for as long as we have. But if the trend continues with these type of charges, then I do think people will be talking with their pocketbook right over to the other companies who are waiting with open arms and are willing to hook them up and suck them away from Vzw.
    Well then Sprint and TMO should be showing an increase in customers from this point on.
    01-21-10 03:11 PM
    WOW I called my local VZ rep and asked him about the new rates
    as of now I am still on an Alltel plan at $89 for data and 500 minutes
    I asked for a unlimited rate and he asked about putting my wife on he said she would only be $20 a month so after he figured it all out he came back to tell my my new rate would be $180 a month , needless to say I was in shock and told them never mind.
    01-21-10 03:55 PM
    WOW I called my local VZ rep and asked him about the new rates
    as of now I am still on an Alltel plan at $89 for data and 500 minutes
    I asked for a unlimited rate and he asked about putting my wife on he said she would only be $20 a month so after he figured it all out he came back to tell my my new rate would be $180 a month , needless to say I was in shock and told them never mind.
    So you were going from a 500 minute plan to an Unlimted plan and you didn't expect an increase in price? That's a little unrealistic on your part.
    01-21-10 04:13 PM
    So you were going from a 500 minute plan to an Unlimted plan and you didn't expect an increase in price? That's a little unrealistic on your part.
    Didn't expect a $30 drop in the unlimited price and didn't expect a $90 price increase. Guess the $99 price advertised on TV being dropped to $69 was miss leading.
    01-21-10 04:24 PM
    Didn't expect a $30 drop in the unlimited price and didn't expect a $90 price increase. Guess the $99 price advertised on TV being dropped to $69 was miss leading.
    The $69.99 is for a single plan, not a family plan and not misleading.
    01-21-10 04:57 PM
    I only asked to add my wife so how could it go to $180 a month
    01-21-10 05:07 PM
    Unless I am missing something that won't be the first time
    I now pay $89.99 includes unlimited text and data etc with my Tour as I stated before that is for 500 minutes and I have 11 circle of friends which I wouldn't need with unlimited so the new price is $69.99 but I need to add
    $20 for texting so that brings me back to $89.99 which is fine, I don't understand where adding my wife for $20 a month works out to $180.00.
    01-21-10 05:12 PM
    One thing I maybe overlooking is the cost of the DATA
    with Alltel it was all in the price of the package I had
    This is not the case with VZ
    01-21-10 05:22 PM
    Personally, I think requiring a data plan is ridiculous, especially for those who don't use data on their phones. Technically, if I wanted to activate my 5 year old Motorola V3m it would fall under this because it can play music and can access content.
    No it wouldn't. The deciding factor is the web browser. That silly little WAP thing on the RAZR doesn't have it.

It's not the 3G. It's not the newness of the phone. It's the web browser. Heck, I'm surprised the voyager doesn't require it now. (Or does it? Haven't seen enough voyagers lately.)
    01-21-10 05:47 PM
    ... I don't understand where adding my wife for $20 a month works out to $180.00.
    Because there was a miscommunication, you can't just add another line to a single-line plan for $20.

You'd have to change your single-line plan to a Family Share plan. Unlimited minutes on a family share plan is $120 (total for two lines); unlimited minutes and unlimited messaging is $150 (again, total for two lines).

That $150 plus the $30 for your data plan equals $180.

edit: for info, you could mimic your current Alltel plan (almost) on Verizon by getting a (single-line) 450 minute Talk & Text for $59.99 and adding unlimited data for $30.
    Last edited by Nofez; 01-22-10 at 11:30 AM.
    01-22-10 11:27 AM
    Because there was a miscommunication, you can't just add another line to a single-line plan for $20.

You'd have to change your single-line plan to a Family Share plan. Unlimited minutes on a family share plan is $120 (total for two lines); unlimited minutes and unlimited messaging is $150 (again, total for two lines).

That $150 plus the $30 for your data plan equals $180.

edit: for info, you could mimic your current Alltel plan (almost) on Verizon by getting a (single-line) 450 minute Talk & Text for $59.99 and adding unlimited data for $30.

Thanks for clearing it up for me

I did look at that Verizon plan but its too big of a step backwards when you compare both plans. ( ie: I have 500 minutes and 11 Friends and Family members included )
    01-22-10 11:37 AM
    Can I reduce my bill??? I have a bb as primary phone and two other lines on a Family Share Plan 1400 min and am paying 117.98 + the 9.99 ea for the other two lines. After all the bazillion taxes I usually pay around $150/mo.
    Will any of the new changes help me out or is it just for single lines?
    Thanks!!
    01-24-10 10:41 PM
    New plans are close to being a benefit to my fam, but generally end up not given that we don't ever go over on minutes.

We are currently on the Nationwide Loyalty 550 minute plan.

Currently Monthly is ~105

70 (for 3 lines)
    30 (my BB data)
    5 (my daughter's 250 text....she pays extra if she wildly goes over.......she has an enV3)

If I went Unlimited T&T 700, I see our charges as ~150

110 (for 3 lines)
    30 (for my BB data)
    10 (for data on my daughter's enV3....would go unused/blocked)

If I went 700 Talk it would be ~115

80 (3 lines)
    30 (my BB data)
    5 (my daughter's 250 text)

So that doesn't really work either since the extra 10 (over what I am paying now) only gets me 150 extra minutes. And as I said, we almost never go over.

If we made any kind of a change, I could see changing my daughter's text plan from 250 to 500 (including unlim mob-2-mob). But right now the 250 seems good for her.
    01-25-10 09:12 AM
    Heck, I'm surprised the voyager doesn't require it now. (Or does it? Haven't seen enough voyagers lately.)
    The Voyager is out of the lineup. The Env Touch takes it's place, and yes, that does require the minimum of 9.99 coverage.
    01-25-10 11:39 AM
    Soooooo if I get a replacement phone for my bf (he's got and EnV2) he wouldnt then need a data plan though. right?
    01-25-10 11:57 AM
    This is not true. The env2 is not on the list. The only list of existing phones I put in my OP and it also inluces all EVDO phones released today or later.
    Not unless you get a different model. Not according to this quote at least. The EnV 2 does not require a data plan. The EnV 3 does. I asked the same question earlier and Weekendbum cleared it up for me when I asked.
    01-25-10 01:28 PM
    Thats good.. cause at least I can make sure Les has a CLNR phone that works for a while. I'd gladly pay $50 for an out of warrenty. He just needs a phone that doesnt power off while charging and rings when its supposed to be in ring mode.
    He can upgrade now, but he made the same huffy sounds I've been hearing here when I told him he'd have to have a data plan. I explained to him that I would give up my VZnav for him so that our bill wouldnt go up. (I wouldnt but I'd just TELL him that) I pay the bill and manage the account so its not like he'd know.
    *tee hee*
    01-25-10 02:27 PM
145 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD