Because by forcing it they rake in money from people who never use it too.
    It's a money grab, plain and simple.

I'll say it again. There is no technical reason why they can't block data on any device. They prefer you to pay for something you won't use.
    01-19-10 01:11 PM

I'll say it again. There is no technical reason why they can't block data on any device. They prefer you to pay for something you won't use.
    Vote with your pocket book
    01-19-10 01:32 PM

If they were to block nationalaccess which blocks complete access to the data network it blocks picture messages. Is there a way around that?
    01-19-10 02:26 PM
    If they were to block nationalaccess which blocks complete access to the data network it blocks picture messages. Is there a way around that?
    With they way they can code software now a days, I don't see why it would not be possible to create a data block on internet only. I haven't heard anything supporting why it can not be recoded. They can differentiate the difference between the two but they can't block one or the other is rather dumb.

Is this to say that the non multimedia phones can't use days at all and therefore can't get pictures? I bet you will still are people who will get days charges on the non multimedia phones and vomplain. Which brings me back to why include unlimited pictures and texting in one simple feature if it uses that much data. To me it just seems like they wanted to raise their rates but ten bucks but knew people wouldn't want to pay an additional ten a month so instead they only required it on the phones anybody really wants.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by mawint; 01-19-10 at 04:17 PM.
    01-19-10 04:10 PM
    With they way they can code software now a days, I don't see why it would not be possible to create a data block on internet only. I haven't heard anything supporting why it can not be recoded. They can differentiate the difference between the two but they can't block one or the other is rather dumb.

Is this to say that the non multimedia phones can't use days at all and therefore can't get pictures? I bet you will still are people who will get days charges on the non multimedia phones and vomplain. Which brings me back to why include unlimited pictures and texting in one simple feature if it uses that much data. To me it just seems like they wanted to raise their rates but ten bucks but knew people wouldn't want to pay an additional ten a month so instead they only required it on the phones anybody really wants.
    To me I'm wondering how BREW apps such as VZNAV will be handled. Maybe Verizon will let BREW apps be downloaded without airtime charges. My guess is Verizon wants to get off the credit $1.99 bandwagon. These voice only phones won't have the ability to rack up a data charge, although I wonder about BREW apps.
    01-19-10 04:31 PM

The simple answer to your question, is why should they block it?

Because Johnny 14-year-old wants a touch screen phone?

Or because Suzie text-a-lot "needs" a keyboard?

the worst part is there are phone that are offered, with keybo0ards that dont require data.

These phone are the main culprits, VZW just gave a man 22,000 because of data, that "wasn't blocked". You know what 22,000 can buy, its not chump change to anyone, especially, a business.

The fairest way, is that if you want the status, then you get the data. If you want a lexus, you dont get to put regular gas in it, you wanted the features, and the premiums, and the look, you pay for it. And trust me, the difference in gas is a heck of a lot more than 10 dollars.

I dont see why this is an issue, if you want a keyboard, you can still get, an env2, a rival, or an instinct. If you want a touch screen, you can still get a dare or a vers, if you want to getboth,you an get a versa, with a keyboard attached and no data plan.

But you(figuratively speaking) have a choice, if you want the status, sometimes you gotta pay for it.
    01-19-10 04:44 PM
    So you don't really know if it can be done. You just assume it can because of the great technology we have.
    01-19-10 05:02 PM
    You can block mobile web access on these phones, but that's not the point. VZW sells a SERVICE and one way to sell that service is to require it for certain phones. Just like with Blackberry - no reason VZW cannot block data and call it a day without adding a feature to the account. Think about it like this: why would VZW spend tons of money on training and product ads to sell someone a $500 phone with line access of $10 a month? That would be STUPID.

The choices are there - don't buy 3G capable phones OR go somewhere else.

Sure it's going to help those with data usage, but the real reason behind it would be driving revenue growth.

News flash people - this is a BUSINESS and it is about MONEY. If it weren't VZW would be tanking right now like the rest of the economy.
    01-19-10 05:55 PM
    So you don't really know if it can be done. You just assume it can because of the great technology we have.
    I didn't assume. I asked why it can't be done. Its a fair enough question not directed directly at you but to anyone for that matter. Who said that a data block has to block pictures also.

Last edited by mawint; 01-19-10 at 06:28 PM.
    01-19-10 06:26 PM
    I didn't assume. I asked why it can't be done. Its a fair enough question not directed directly at you but to anyone for that matter. Who said that a data block has to block pictures also.

Pictures are considered data. If you block data to a device, there is no way to send pictures.
    01-19-10 06:54 PM
    Pictures are considered data. If you block data to a device, there is no way to send pictures.
    Well my son has an lg nv2 and I investigated and there were some data charges on his phone. I blocked the data and told him he could no longer send pic messages. Ohhhhh well; but he could still text.
    01-19-10 07:00 PM
    Well my son has an lg nv2 and I investigated and there were some data charges on his phone. I blocked the data and told him he could no longer send pic messages. Ohhhhh well; but he could still text.
    Yes he can, text is xmitted over the voice network.

Also you should not have to block all data, there are other block available to stop certain data you do not want them to do. Block web, apps, etc. When kids get into trouble doing data, parents over react and block it all. On the old select plans and now the new talk and text plans that include unlim sms and mms, you are now paying for something they cannot use.
    Last edited by lastraid; 01-19-10 at 07:05 PM.
    01-19-10 07:02 PM
    its in the "my services" tab... Then on left you have "my plan" that's where you make changes.
    Its tricky but once you get used to the sight its easy peasy.

This is very weird. I don't have a choice of 'my plan'. I have the following:

My Phone
    My Contacts
    My Usage
    My Media
    Spam Controls
    01-19-10 09:08 PM
    It means you're not registered as the "account owner" you're registered as the "account member." If you do not know the account owner, you need to call in and get it changed. If you do know the account owner login then you can login and change you to the account under the "My Profile" tab.
    01-19-10 09:12 PM
    Thanks, I am the only owner, so not sure how this happened. Will call in and have it fixed and review my plan options at the same time.

Thanks again
    01-19-10 09:15 PM
    VZW sucks! It's complete BS that they are requiring even regular phones to have a data plan of at least $9.99 a month. Another scam by VZW!
    01-19-10 09:47 PM
    Thanks, I am the only owner, so not sure how this happened. Will call in and have it fixed and review my plan options at the same time.

Thanks again
    No problem.
    01-19-10 10:05 PM
    VZW sucks! It's complete BS that they are requiring even regular phones to have a data plan of at least $9.99 a month. Another scam by VZW!
    Only 3G multimedia phones require the $9.99 - Simple feature phones do not require any data.

Learn how to read, thanks.
    01-19-10 10:10 PM
    Oh my GOD you're all over the place pissin and moaning. YOU DO NOT NEED THE DATA PLAN UNLESS YOU GET A NEW DEVICE OR SWITCH TO A 3G PHONE THAT REQUIRES IT.
    01-19-10 10:13 PM
    You can have web blocked and still have pic messaging. I am not sure what it is that they do-I know its not an all access block or something but my niece's phone has web and downloads blocked but she sends me pic messages with no problem. I forget how they did it but I know I did the same thing on my husbands phone b/c he has a flip phone that has web access ability and no desire to use it at all-but I picked the phone I did for him b/c the buttons were easier for his hands to use. He had gone online by accident a few times b/c of one of the buttons so we blocked it but he still sends pic messages.

I understand Verizon needed to make a buck-they are a business. I am just personally against the idea of forcing data plans on phones that are not BB or other smartphones. A Mulit-media 3G phone to me should not be forcing people to pay for data if they are not going to use. I had considered upgrading my grandfather's phone at some point to the Env3 because of the larger print on the screen and the speech output and the keyboard if he wanted to try and text but he is NEVER going to go online on it. I have shopped for cell phones with multiple friends who are blind/visually impaired and the Env3 and the touch have both turned out to be the best phone for a few of these friends b/c of features they had such as larger text, text read out and high contrast for some buttons. But I know none of them are using those phones for the web and should not be forced to pay for it just because that particular phone was more accessible.

There are a lot of reasons for choosing a phone-and sometimes features are not used. Forcing a data charge on a phone (and I am referring to not smart phone/BB phones) I think is just a cheap shot at getting extra $$ from customers. I KNOW its a business-but if you treat your customers well it goes a long way. That is why me and many people I know have been with vzw for as long as we have. But if the trend continues with these type of charges, then I do think people will be talking with their pocketbook right over to the other companies who are waiting with open arms and are willing to hook them up and suck them away from Vzw.
    01-19-10 10:20 PM
    I had the perfect example of why the data plans are being enforced the other day. A customer e-mails in, said that her daughter used the internet on her phone and now wants it blocked. Her daughter used 37 MB's on an enV phone. That plus the downloads, 29.99 was MUCH cheaper. But I do not agree with some of the phones that require the data plan now. The Entice? Really? I am sure with the new catagory of phones, they will come out with more that do not need the data plan. At least I hope.
    01-19-10 10:27 PM
    Personally, I think requiring a data plan is ridiculous, especially for those who don't use data on their phones. Technically, if I wanted to activate my 5 year old Motorola V3m it would fall under this because it can play music and can access content.
    01-19-10 10:29 PM
    No you would not have to have a data plan on your razor. I listed the required phones in my OP.
    01-19-10 10:43 PM
    Yes he can, text is xmitted over the voice network.

Also you should not have to block all data, there are other block available to stop certain data you do not want them to do. Block web, apps, etc. When kids get into trouble doing data, parents over react and block it all. On the old select plans and now the new talk and text plans that include unlim sms and mms, you are now paying for something they cannot use.
    Yeah u are right but when I was first aware of it; and got a small glimpse of where it could lead all I saw was cha-ching cha-ching cha-ching.....
    01-19-10 11:45 PM
    For the moment if you get a Rival with Verizon at Walmart it does not have to have the data plan but if you get it through Verizon it does.
    01-21-10 10:02 AM
145 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD