Thank you for the clarification Weekendbum. As I said I don't mind adding it if I needed to I just didn't want to be surprised when I upgrade my line. It won't be an alternate upgrade so I am ok. I actually keep my phones for 2 years if they give me no problems

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-10 08:08 PM
    I just want to clarify people. If you currently have a 3G Multimedia Phone and it does not have a data plan and you change it do a different MDN for any reason the data plan will be required. If you have a phone and you keep on the same MDN but change ESNs for any reason other than warranty exchanges or insurance replacements it will require a data plan.
    MDN = Mobile Directory Number?
    change it to a different MDN = move that phone to a different line?
    01-18-10 08:20 PM
    I think we should have the choice of the data plan on those phones. I don't like being told if I had that phone that I have to have a data plan. I feel for families on a budget but those phones shouldn't be for young kids. Texting is the way of the communication world for kids but they don't need a data plan for email. And then if they go over it there is extra charge. It should be a choice. Not a requirement.

Let me clarify I am not talking about BB I know a data plan is required I am talking about the EnvTouch, the Env3, these type of phones.
    01-18-10 09:28 PM
    This is not true. The env2 is not on the list. The only list of existing phones I put in my OP and it also inluces all EVDO phones released today or later.
    IDK man just going off experience lol I did an ESN change today and the system put the data feature right on there for an Env2. Confused me but our system does list the Env2 as EVDO capable so I guess it makes sense.
    01-18-10 09:29 PM
    MDN = Mobile Directory Number?
    change it to a different MDN = move that phone to a different line?
    Correct. Sorry to use jargon.

IDK man just going off experience lol I did an ESN change today and the system put the data feature right on there for an Env2. Confused me but our system does list the Env2 as EVDO capable so I guess it makes sense.
    If this is true you should probably file a ticket with the ITSC and get it resolved because it should not be auto-adding for Env2
    01-18-10 09:47 PM
    Correct. Sorry to use jargon.

If this is true you should probably file a ticket with the ITSC and get it resolved because it should not be auto-adding for Env2
    I told the customer about it and they said no and wanted me to block it. Sure enough putting on a data block and manually removing it kept it off, so maybe it was just that specific instance.
    01-18-10 10:00 PM
    I have update my OP with new information. It is highlighted in red.
    01-18-10 10:02 PM
    Interesting adds.. going to keep that in mind for CCD. Already switched someone over but I think they were on the new tiers anyways. Thanks for the info!
    01-18-10 10:08 PM
    I didn't see this anywhere in the posts on this topic, but I believe that the new AT&T plans (the ones they changed after they heard about the VZW changes) also require a $20 or $30 data plan for multimedia or quick messaging phones. That makes it $10 more than VZW requirements.

Can anyone verify?

The industry is moving toward data. It's where the money is at now. In the future, voice calls will be just a feature on your data plan.
    01-18-10 10:12 PM
    I think this is ridiculous. Everyone that I know that has those phones don't have or want a data plan. They just use the phone for texting and calls. I think that they should allow customers to choose whether or not they want a data plan. I know many people who have these types of phones that don't even know what a web browser is or where to even find it on their phone and now Verizon wants to make it a requirement that to purchase any non-smartphone with a keyboard you must get at least a $10 data plan. Many older people have these phones for texting because it is simply easier to use with a full keyboard rather than having to use ABC or Word and now they are going to have to get a data plan for $10 a month per phone that they will never use?
    Also this is bad for us because with all these popular phones needing data plans, is the Verizon network going to become overloaded with traffic like AT&T is? If everyone and their brother now have a phone with a data plan and are using it, what Is going to happen to the network?? Will our speeds be throttled to provide enough bandwidth for these new non-smartphones that now have data plans? I think this is a very bad choice for Verizon and an even worse choice for AT&T who is making any customer who purchases a phone with a keyboard get either a $20 unlimited texting package or a $30 unlimited data package. Their network already experiencing problems can't handle the data from iPhone users and now their going to make it mandatory that if you buy a phone with a keyboard, you must have a data plan? If you don't believe me that AT&T is having network issues then watch this video directly from AT&T talking about the issue themselves:

With all these new non smart phones using data AT&T is going to be in for some real trouble and I can almost guarantee that Verizon will be loosing customers left and right because their phone selection already puts them at a disadvantage and the customers who purchase the En V phones don't want to get get ripped off with a $10 data plan for 25 mb a month-- They just want the phone for texting. If they wanted a data plan, wouldn't it be better for it to be optional so they can choose to have it or not? Why not give customers the choice of what they want, rather than forcing them to have a data plan that most people wont even use. I understand that people enjoy checking their Facebook, updating their Twitter accounts and the whole social media type of thing (I do. Which is why I CHOOSE to have a smartphone) but this isn't the time to force people into paying more a month for something they may never use. We are in a recession right now, the unemployment climbs higher everyday and people are going to have to make the choose to either have food on their table, or get rid of their cell phones that are constantly increasing in price.

Not only do I believe that consumers should be able to choose what they want, but they are simply being ripped off by this new mandatory data plan. Ten dollars for 25 megabytes is very pricey, that's 40 cents per megabyte and with the poor tools Verizon offers to track your usage many individuals will end up going over. I can say this with experience, I use about 300 megabytes of Data a month on my Blackberry and If I decide to go on Youtube and watch a video, then go to check my data usage, it takes a few days for the data I just used to populate on their website or the My Verizon app. on the phone. If these carriers plan on making data mandatory on non-smartphones, they at least need to provide an up to date tracking solution so people can tell how much data their using in real time. If a user that goes on with say their En V Touch and checks their Facebook a few times and then later checks My Verizon to see how much data they used, it may say they only used 15 megabytes so they think they have 10 remaining megabytes that their data plan allows, without going over and next thing they go back on the web to a few sites and now they check back and their over by 10 megabytes because originally when they checked their data usage, they were already over but it didn't update in the system.

I just thought I would bring this up. The press seems to put this as a good thing because they are reducing the price of their unlimited voice plans, but making it back by forcing customers into a mandatory data plan which is only ripping off consumers. When I had an LG Dare on the connect plan it was only costing me $10 for unlimited data. That was a year and a half ago and mobile internet has been out longer now, so you would think that the price would degrease as time goes on. But that's not the case, its big businesses screwing over consumers. T-Mobile and Sprint are doing the right thing and they will see a positive gain by it, when people get fed up and switch over. What do you guys think?

Personally I agree with Berry fit. Wouldn't it be a win/win situation for the customer to be able to choose whether to have a data plan or simply pay the $1.99 pay as you go data? This would clearly be the best situation; the people here that feel they need a data plan could purchase one and the people that may not need or want to shell out an additional $10 or $30 a month wouldn't have to, plus they could get the phone they want. I know many people, teenagers especially that love the En V line of phones. They are extremely popular among teens and with the economy the way it what makes you think that parents who pay their kids wireless bill are going to pay an additional $10 for every child they have? While I understand many feel they should just not upgrade, eventually your phone will be in need of a replacement and you will have to purchase another phone. Verizon simply has very little "simple phone" choices with keyboards. Verizon has one phone, the Samsung Intensity, a keyboard phone. With this new required data plan choice both Verizon and LG can say goodbye to their En V products being a top hit, but instead the majority of the market who doesn't want a data plan will have the Intensity simply because its the only full qwerty keyboard they offer and research shows the industry is going towards keyboard phones and less towards the standard "Flip" design.

As a Blackberry user, I understand the required Data plan on smart phones but I think that it is absolutely ludicrous that a data plan be required on a feature phone. It should be the choice and it seems the growing trend is to let big business dictate to what consumers are going to get and we don't mind letting them dominate the industry and rip us off. Paying $10 for 25 megabytes is just outrageous and with the poor data tracking Verizon provides, its obvious that the majority of users will go over which again means more cash to these big business. I've been a Verizon Customer for years and their coverage is excellent, but if these data plans are in effect when my contract end data is up and I go to upgrade, I won't be a Verizon customer anymore. The only way to let these companies know your not happy with their choice to shove something you may not need down your throat is to take you business elsewhere and if enough people do this, Verizon and AT&T will see their not making $$ and they must either change with the demands or go out of business.

I hope you can see why I took the time to express my thoughts on this issue. I think that as consumers we should have a choice not be forced into something. If you want data plan, then you should be able to purchase it, if its not something you need then you should have the option to not have it. It's all about choice and as consumers we should be able to choose what is best for us. If we want something done we must tell these companies that we aren't happy and as consumers we deserve a choice. If we call, email, send in letters, take our business elsewhere something will be done and everyone will benefit. Unfortunately this is just only the beginning in the cell phone industry and not before long, there will be another "must have" feature that the carriers will be trying to make mandatory so they can get us consumers to pay more cash for something that we many of us will not even use or need.

If you haven't seen the Press statement heres where you can view it:
    AT&T messes with plans in wake of Verizon's moves, slashes unlimited voice pricing -- Engadget
    Verizon Wireless Offers Simple, Affordable Convenience With New Unlimited Voice Plans
    Last edited by runnerboy967; 01-18-10 at 11:23 PM.
    01-18-10 10:34 PM
    ^^^ runnerboy, you realize press statements are written by the companies, and not the press, right?

edit: this is for JDnLou:

From the ATT Press Release:

Quick Messaging Device customers may choose unlimited talk for $69.99 and Family Talk customers may choose unlimited talk for $119.99 per month (for two lines). These plans require a minimum of $20 per month for individual plans and $30 per month for Family Talk plans in texting and/or Web browsing packages for new and upgrading customers.
    Last edited by Nofez; 01-18-10 at 10:38 PM.
    01-18-10 10:34 PM
    OP didn't mention that on the first page actually, but I went to the vzw site myself and redid my plan with the help of an online agent. with the 450 min Nationwide talk plan (w/o unlimited txt'ing) it's $39.99 (since I only use less than 500 txt messages a month so far... let's hope it doesn't come back to bite me in the @$$!) and then the texting plans were:
    • 250 for $5
    • 500 (w/ unlimited txt'ing with other vzw users) for $10
    • 1500 (w/ unlimited texting for vzw) for $15
    • 5k txt messages for $20.

vzw's website doesn't show the texting options until after you choose a plan, so you'd have to dig deeper to find all of this info. so if you don't text all that much... you could save a few bucks a month by going this route.
    yep, I got it all figured out and changed, thanks! 90% of my texts are VZW to VZW, so this was a good plan I think. Now if I could just get them to add friends and family to the 450 minute plan! I'm on the 900 minute plan, but only use about 200 minutes per month of that because the rest are in my friends and family. But if I were to lose the friends and family then I would go well over the 450 minute limit...ugh!!!
    01-18-10 11:15 PM
    ^^^ runnerboy, you realize press statements are written by the companies, and not the press, right?

edit: this is for JDnLou:

From the ATT Press Release:
    yup, I understand that. I just wanted to link the press release so people cant get an idea of the changes in the data plan. The Engadget link is not posted from the companies. Thats from the Engadget Blog. (Engadget
    01-18-10 11:28 PM
    Does anyone know if there will be plan design changes for Verizon business accounts? Currently my company runs about 15 lines with one bucket of pooled minutes.

Last edited by ilguy; 01-19-10 at 07:40 AM.
    01-18-10 11:44 PM
    Please login to https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=wI6TGEPi to change your plan. Most plans will have to be future dated to your next bill cycle, remember that any on demand will result in prorations on your bill. The new plans can only be backdated to today (1/18/2010).
    Why can I not find the correct place on myverizon to change my plan. I don't seem to have any options to do this???

Thanks
    01-19-10 12:07 AM
    Why can I not find the correct place on myverizon to change my plan. I don't seem to have any options to do this???

Thanks
    I'm not sure. Just click on "Go" next to the picture of your phone on the main page. Then click "My Plan" then "Change Plan" and pick the plan you want.
    01-19-10 12:09 AM
    The unlimited price plan drop sounds cool i think I am going to upgrade.
    01-19-10 12:16 AM
    Dont have an option to click 'go' next to the pic of my phone. Says only 'my contacts', 'make a payment' and 'write a review'.
    01-19-10 12:18 AM
    I wonder when Verizon will consider roll over minutes now???
    01-19-10 12:25 AM
    Dont have an option to click 'go' next to the pic of my phone. Says only 'my contacts', 'make a payment' and 'write a review'.
    Make sure you're registered as the account owner. You should have "Overview" "My Bill" "My Services" etc.. at the top. Make sure the Overview tab is clicked.
    01-19-10 01:23 AM
    its in the "my services" tab... Then on left you have "my plan" that's where you make changes.
    Its tricky but once you get used to the sight its easy peasy.

01-19-10 09:46 AM
    Did I just totally spell "site" wrong or right but wrong in its proper contxt? LOL no more posting in bed!

01-19-10 09:47 AM
    You used the wrong version of the word. What do they call them? Homonyms!
    01-19-10 11:55 AM
    I think we should have the choice of the data plan on those phones. I don't like being told if I had that phone that I have to have a data plan. I feel for families on a budget but those phones shouldn't be for young kids. Texting is the way of the communication world for kids but they don't need a data plan for email. And then if they go over it there is extra charge. It should be a choice. Not a requirement.

Let me clarify I am not talking about BB I know a data plan is required I am talking about the EnvTouch, the Env3, these type of phones.
    Yep, and everyday we get the calls about thier kid going over on data and when we suggest a data plan they flip and only want a credit, no more credits, we get 100s of calls a day about overages. thats why they came up with this plan
    01-19-10 12:29 PM
    Yep, and everyday we get the calls about thier kid going over on data and when we suggest a data plan they flip and only want a credit, no more credits, we get 100s of calls a day about overages. thats why they came up with this plan
    Why not just come up with a plan to either block it or require it?

01-19-10 12:59 PM
145 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD