WOW Great post! THanks for the info. Too bad they didn't help me out at all! I'm on the 1400 family plan with 3 phones! They should allow you to drop to 700 w/ f&f!
    No problem, glad it helped!
    01-18-10 03:27 PM
    this was pretty sweet for me. I was on the 450 min blackberry plan before which was unlimited blackberry data and email and texting. I swapped to the 450 min talk plan, added on the blackberry email and web surfing for $29.99 and then $10 500 txt messages and I'm saving about $20 a month now. not too bad if ya ask me!
    Hmmm, I better go look again. I didn't see the 500 text message plan for $10. It's not a lot, but I could save $10 doing that.

Cool, got it this time! The bulk of my text messages are Verizon to Verizon and only about 100 per month are out of network, so that plan works well for me!

Thanks for mentioning this!
    Last edited by ChuckH0308; 01-18-10 at 04:18 PM. Reason: edit
    01-18-10 03:37 PM
    My post was about the data....not about your nonsense post about my choice without being me to decide. Must be nice to live in your lala land world of what you think is right for everyone else...whats that called? Oh yeah, Ignorant...lol..

My post was not about MY choice, but about verizons change...stay on track girly
    The real joke is you calling other people morons when you bought your kids high end data phones and now face the possibility of paying for what they are intended to be used for. Lol!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-10 03:38 PM
    Hmmm, I better go look again. I didn't see the 500 text message plan for $10. It's not a lot, but I could save $10 doing that.
    OP didn't mention that on the first page actually, but I went to the vzw site myself and redid my plan with the help of an online agent. with the 450 min Nationwide talk plan (w/o unlimited txt'ing) it's $39.99 (since I only use less than 500 txt messages a month so far... let's hope it doesn't come back to bite me in the @$$!) and then the texting plans were:
    • 250 for $5
    • 500 (w/ unlimited txt'ing with other vzw users) for $10
    • 1500 (w/ unlimited texting for vzw) for $15
    • 5k txt messages for $20.

vzw's website doesn't show the texting options until after you choose a plan, so you'd have to dig deeper to find all of this info. so if you don't text all that much... you could save a few bucks a month by going this route.
    01-18-10 04:15 PM
    What I'm hoping that people notice here is that 3g capability or a keyboard is not the deciding factor as to whether or not the phone is considered a "3g multimedia phone". It's whether or not the device has an HTML browser. We have *way* too many calls just from regular flip-phones of people claiming the browser browsed itself. So....... just imagine what it was like when the Voyager first came out, on the heels of $1.99 per megabyte.

There are plenty of options for people who need something a little less crazy.
    01-18-10 04:21 PM
    The real joke is you calling other people morons when you bought your kids high end data phones and now face the possibility of paying for what they are intended to be used for. Lol!

WHat? LOL...you have no idea of the OTHER capabilities of these phones. and no nohting of the reasons why they have them....bing..ignorant
    01-18-10 04:42 PM
    WHat? LOL...you have no idea of the OTHER capabilities of these phones. and no nohting of the reasons why they have them....bing..ignorant

OK, I'll bite....what are thse other capabilities, that no other phone has, that they use them for?
    01-18-10 04:59 PM
    OK, I'll bite....what are thse other capabilities, that no other phone has, that they use them for?
    Who said I needed to explain. The comment was that my kids have phones that arent being used for what they are made (3G obviously).

We researched phones based on our situation and circumstances and found these phones to be the best for what we needed...not that its anyones business here or anywhere else. THis whole thing had nothing to do with the phones anyway...this started because I didnt like verizons new policy on data charges...so can this thread stay on track please?
    01-18-10 05:03 PM
    Who said I needed to explain. The comment was that my kids have phones that arent being used for what they are made (3G obviously).

We researched phones based on our situation and circumstances and found these phones to be the best for what we needed...not that its anyones business here or anywhere else. THis whole thing had nothing to do with the phones anyway...this started because I didnt like verizons new policy on data charges...so can this thread stay on track please?
    Ummmm, you are the one who said what your kid has, and are calling people names for "not knowing better"

But hey, if you just want to start trouble for nothing, be my guest....I already have a data plan.
    01-18-10 05:19 PM
    techincally its on track. You don't like the policy changes because they don't fit YOUR needs. The phones *may* fit the needs of your child's texting to their friends, but the phone, specifally the env touch is a multi-media device that goes online, and for that, is considered in the right catagory. In my opinion, I do think ithey're in the right to ask what "the" important needs were of the phone? Touch screen? Txt msgs? Touch screen would be a vaild point as the env touch and LG dare are almost basic but not quite basic phones for touch screen besides the pda devices...

IMO, if you don't want to pay far a DATA plan phone, don't have your kids buy a DATA plan phone.. period. The ENV Touch always required a data plan, but you could put the Pay As You Go feature on there & Then block it, to not make it go on the web... Just in my opinion, if your kids want to have a touch screen device and able to send MMS/TXT, they are pretty much screwed into a data-phone. If you don't want them to have a data phone but can just send TXT/MMS then .. get them a plan old grandma phone.... Or make them pay for the data charges...

Can't complain about VZW changing plans, when all companies do this.. no matter what you see fit for said company. Meh, everyone's going to complain about new changes in X company, until they use it for X months or X years... and then they'll become happy. It's a up and down spiral.
    01-18-10 05:19 PM
    Subscribed .......

01-18-10 05:25 PM
    Exactly.
    The point is this.
    The data requirement bites. If you plan never to surf the web on the phone, why should you have to take a data plan. They could block data. Yea, I know picture messaging would be affected. But that's a drawback.

When you walk in the store to buy a phone they could explain the situation and you either take a data plan if you want picture messaging/web or you don't.

It's simple. It's a money grab pure and simple.
    I'm tired of Verizon fanboys/fangirls trying to justify the rates.
    There is no valid technical reason to force the $9.99 data plan.
    There is no valid technical reason to force a data plan on any device.
    As long as you know what the limitations are and are willing to live with them; they should block data and not make you pay.
    01-18-10 05:25 PM
    techincally its on track. You don't like the policy changes because they don't fit YOUR needs. The phones *may* fit the needs of your child's texting to their friends, but the phone, specifally the env touch is a multi-media device that goes online, and for that, is considered in the right catagory. In my opinion, I do think ithey're in the right to ask what "the" important needs were of the phone? Touch screen? Txt msgs? Touch screen would be a vaild point as the env touch and LG dare are almost basic but not quite basic phones for touch screen besides the pda devices...

IMO, if you don't want to pay far a DATA plan phone, don't have your kids buy a DATA plan phone.. period. The ENV Touch always required a data plan, but you could put the Pay As You Go feature on there & Then block it, to not make it go on the web... Just in my opinion, if your kids want to have a touch screen device and able to send MMS/TXT, they are pretty much screwed into a data-phone. If you don't want them to have a data phone but can just send TXT/MMS then .. get them a plan old grandma phone.... Or make them pay for the data charges...

Can't complain about VZW changing plans, when all companies do this.. no matter what you see fit for said company. Meh, everyone's going to complain about new changes in X company, until they use it for X months or X years... and then they'll become happy. It's a up and down spiral.
    Actually, the ENV3 and Touch did not require data plans. Never had one. that was my original complaint which seemed to not been read by most of these posters when I was put down for my kids owning these phones...without knowing why I even have them...but the REAL thread here is about verizons new plans...uh..right?

The problem is NOW they do require it, IF they lose the phone or it breaks and ithas to be replaced. When the phones were purchased, there was no requirement for this.

whatever though. It seems folks would rather tell me what I should and shouldnt do and that i should leave verizon if I dont like it...lol...hmmm....funny...i didnt intend to pay data...so now i should pay etf according to them...lol...what a funny bunch of folks...

Verizon, per their contact does say they can change their pricing policy at any time, all carriers have that clause. But honestly, who would think they would FORCE data on someone. (and it is forcing it if something happens to the phone and it needs to be replaced with the same phone..which it wouldnt be..unfortunately).

Can eveyrone stay on track please? this isnt about my families phone choices, its about the changes in verizon pricing plan..thanks
    Last edited by berryfit; 01-18-10 at 05:41 PM.
    01-18-10 05:38 PM
    Exactly.
    The point is this.
    The data requirement bites. If you plan never to surf the web on the phone, why should you have to take a data plan. They could block data. Yea, I know picture messaging would be affected. But that's a drawback.

When you walk in the store to buy a phone they could explain the situation and you either take a data plan if you want picture messaging/web or you don't.

It's simple. It's a money grab pure and simple.
    I'm tired of Verizon fanboys/fangirls trying to justify the rates.
    There is no valid technical reason to force the $9.99 data plan.
    There is no valid technical reason to force a data plan on any device.
    As long as you know what the limitations are and are willing to live with them; they should block data and not make you pay.
    Or in my opinion, if they are bent on doing this, then make it for all NEW phones, new signups, not on prexisting phones, that if they have to be replaced will incur the data pricing which was explained to me by a rep on the phone.
    01-18-10 05:40 PM
    It is for NEW phones NEW sign ups. If you change your contract or if you UPGRADE your phone, it's considered under the new data change.
    If you get a Certified Like New Replacement or a FRU, it's not under the new changes....If you have a pre-existing plan, it will not change your plan.
    01-18-10 06:04 PM
    It is for NEW phones NEW sign ups. If you change your contract or if you UPGRADE your phone, it's considered under the new data change.
    If you get a Certified Like New Replacement or a FRU, it's not under the new changes....If you have a pre-existing plan, it will not change your plan.
    Thanks Zukin. Maybe this new pricing plan is confusing to some reps then, because I asked her that exact question, and she said the phones wont be charged the data unless the plan is changed, do an update, or IF THE CURRENT PHONE IS REPLACED, EVEN IF IT'S THE SAME PHONE. No mention of FRU or CLN.

Thanks for the clarification....
    01-18-10 06:08 PM
    I only verified for myself because, I myself am a rep... and even though I did get full-length training on it, I wanted to be sure. I haven't had *any* calls on it today (surprisingly), but I just wanted to be sure for myself.... and for sake of not giving out wrong information - though it seems has been all day today.

But I did clarify that if you do any type plan change/upgrade change/contract change(same as plan change really..) and your phone is under the "3g/multimedia/smartphone" catagory, you're subject to paying the $9.99 for 25MB, or $30.00 for Email/Web smartphone Unlimited plan.

If you get a CLNR/FRU, your plan does NOT change, as you're considered to be "grandfathered" so to speak.
    01-18-10 06:12 PM
    I have a question. I am the primary line on a family plan and will be upgrading next week. One of my secondary lines has an EnV Touch purchased before the data requirement. If I upgrade my line will I have to add data to the Touch on the other line? I mean I don't really mind I just want to know what to expect. I don't want a confused rep telling me I have to add it if in reality I don't because I am not changing my plan or that phone. I will probably add it anyway but I am curious what to expect. Also my third line has an EnV 2. It is not on the list of 3G phones but does it need a data plan as well? I don't know what type of browser it has.
    01-18-10 06:23 PM
    Actually, the ENV3 and Touch did not require data plans. Never had one. that was my original complaint which seemed to not been read by most of these posters when I was put down for my kids owning these phones...without knowing why I even have them...but the REAL thread here is about verizons new plans...uh..right?

The problem is NOW they do require it, IF they lose the phone or it breaks and ithas to be replaced. When the phones were purchased, there was no requirement for this.

whatever though. It seems folks would rather tell me what I should and shouldnt do and that i should leave verizon if I dont like it...lol...hmmm....funny...i didnt intend to pay data...so now i should pay etf according to them...lol...what a funny bunch of folks...

Verizon, per their contact does say they can change their pricing policy at any time, all carriers have that clause. But honestly, who would think they would FORCE data on someone. (and it is forcing it if something happens to the phone and it needs to be replaced with the same phone..which it wouldnt be..unfortunately).

Can eveyrone stay on track please? this isnt about my families phone choices, its about the changes in verizon pricing plan..thanks
    At the risk of being called a moron again (hello pot, I'm kettle...but I digress) I can offer a couple of solutions to your problem that do not require you to pay the data charge:

1. Don't let your kids upgrade their phones;
    2. Hold your kids responsible for their phone. If they break or lose it, they can either a) go without or b) have it replaced with a non-data phone.

In the event that you choose not to exercise one of those two options, you can always try getting out of your contract via the "change in terms" clause and carry your happy self to another carrier.

Best of luck to you, hope it works out for ya.
    01-18-10 06:30 PM
    I have a question. I am the primary line on a family plan and will be upgrading next week. One of my secondary lines has an EnV Touch purchased before the data requirement. If I upgrade my line will I have to add data to the Touch on the other line? I mean I don't really mind I just want to know what to expect. I don't want a confused rep telling me I have to add it if in reality I don't because I am not changing my plan or that phone. I will probably add it anyway but I am curious what to expect. Also my third line has an EnV 2. It is not on the list of 3G phones but does it need a data plan as well? I don't know what type of browser it has.
    It should only affect the line that is upgrading, not the other lines. Also, the Env2 IS part of this list, and if you try to activate an old one you have lying around, data package you go.
    01-18-10 06:42 PM
    Also, to add what another user said earlier, you are not put on to new pricing automatically. If you need a warranty/insurance replacement and you still are on your old/plan pricing, NO changes will be required. If you move over to the new plans, upgrade/activate a 3G multimedia phone, then you will be put on the data plans.
    01-18-10 06:43 PM
    Thanks. I didn't see the EnV 2 on the list only the EnV 3 but I didn't think there was much of a difference between them. I was thinking about getting the connect plan before the change anyway but I waited too long to move on it so the 9.99 data package isn't too bad of an alternative.
    01-18-10 06:47 PM
    Yeah, the Env2 isn't listed since it isn't a phone we sell anymore. I guess time will tell which ones will be on this list. I already had someone call in to activate an Env2, so that's the only reason I know it will add the package. The Voyager seems to be free and clear. I think it comes down to HTML browser, which I wasn't totally aware the Env2 had, but the data feature auto add never lies.
    01-18-10 07:13 PM
    It should only affect the line that is upgrading, not the other lines. Also, the Env2 IS part of this list, and if you try to activate an old one you have lying around, data package you go.
    This is not true. The env2 is not on the list. The only list of existing phones I put in my OP and it also inluces all EVDO phones released today or later.
    01-18-10 07:55 PM
    As long as you don't do an alternate upgrade on the line with the Env Touch this will not require a data plan.

I just want to clarify people. If you currently have a 3G Multimedia Phone and it does not have a data plan and you change it do a different MDN for any reason the data plan will be required. If you have a phone and you keep on the same MDN but change ESNs for any reason other than warranty exchanges or insurance replacements it will require a data plan.
    01-18-10 07:58 PM
145 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD