I see the forcing of a data plan as a cash grab, plain and simple.
    There is nothing to prevent them from blocking data if you don't want to surf the f'n web on your phone.

Some people just like the look and feel of a particular phone.
    I don't want to pay for data on my daughters phone when I get her a new phone.
    She won't use the web, she texts.

Funny how just about every phone with a keyboard is now a 3G phone.
    An extra $9 for nothing.

Sorry, but they do suck.
    Completely blocking data also blocks picture/video messaging. The samsung intensity has a keyboard and does not require a data plan.
    01-18-10 11:56 AM
    And if you don't like someone posting comments about your choices, then don't post them on a public forum...moron.
    My post was about the data....not about your nonsense post about my choice without being me to decide. Must be nice to live in your lala land world of what you think is right for everyone else...whats that called? Oh yeah, Ignorant...lol..

My post was not about MY choice, but about verizons change...stay on track girly
    01-18-10 11:59 AM
    Please don't turn this into an argue fest. Take it to PMs.
    01-18-10 12:00 PM
    yeah my kids aren't getting anything but urbasicphone. they don't need to be texting, surfing the web, doing any of the things that i do with a phone

Typical Verizon...change a good thing and make it as confusing as possible.
    01-18-10 12:08 PM
    I see the down side for people with phones that can push data but they choose not to, but then I also see the upside for people like myself.
    01-18-10 12:26 PM
    My post was about the data....not about your nonsense post about my choice without being me to decide. Must be nice to live in your lala land world of what you think is right for everyone else...whats that called? Oh yeah, Ignorant...lol..

My post was not about MY choice, but about verizons change...stay on track girly
    Right on. Funny how many experts on other people's business there are on the net.
    01-18-10 12:54 PM
    As an existing customer 9 months into a 2 Year contract, what are the odds of me being able to get a new phone if I 'upgrade' to one of the new plans?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-10 01:01 PM
    You can wait three more months and get an annual upgrade depending on your plan.
    01-18-10 01:10 PM
    Okay so in order for me to get the new pricing I need to upgrade my phone and my 2 yr agreement? correct?
    01-18-10 01:12 PM
    No, you can change to new pricing with no contract extension.
    01-18-10 01:12 PM
    So should I just call then or go to a store and have them change it for me? I know I'll like the extra 20 bucks off my bill.
    01-18-10 01:15 PM
    I started with an LG Voyager and hated it with a passion, Paid out of pocket for a Tour about a month and a half before the Droid dropped. I'd like to try a Droid, but I'm not going to pay market value for one just to find out I don't like it. Guess I'm stuck with the tour for 15 more months.

01-18-10 01:21 PM
    I started with an LG Voyager and hated it with a passion, Paid out of pocket for a Tour about a month and a half before the Droid dropped. I'd like to try a Droid, but I'm not going to pay market value for one just to find out I don't like it. Guess I'm stuck with the tour for 15 more months.

The droid is a very good phone. The only things I didn't like was the actual call quality of the phone or the fast draining battery.
    01-18-10 01:28 PM
    In a personal opinion, the 3G multimedia phones requiring a data plan is crap.

Most people who use those phones don't plan on or want to use the web on them. If receiving pictures is such a big load on the network then why include it with unlimited texting? Otherwise what they should do is make it so you can block internet data without blocking pictures and people would be happier.

Their non 3G lineup phones are bottom of the barrel if you ask me.

Some of the phones they put on as 3G multimedia phones are just plain ridiculous also. Why is the Entice, a basic flip phone, nothing more, requiring a data plan? People are not browsing web and checking emails on that phone. Not like you can browse to too many websites on a phone that can only load mobile websites.
    01-18-10 01:34 PM
    Most people who use those phones don't plan on or want to use the web on them. If receiving pictures is such a big load on the network then why include it with unlimited texting? Otherwise what they should do is make it so you can block internet data without blocking pictures and people would be happier.
    Agreed. I wouldn't be surprised if they get enough flack about this to incorporate this into some of the plans....eventually.
    01-18-10 01:38 PM
    this was pretty sweet for me. I was on the 450 min blackberry plan before which was unlimited blackberry data and email and texting. I swapped to the 450 min talk plan, added on the blackberry email and web surfing for $29.99 and then $10 500 txt messages and I'm saving about $20 a month now. not too bad if ya ask me!
    01-18-10 02:06 PM
    In a personal opinion, the 3G multimedia phones requiring a data plan is crap.

Their non 3G lineup phones are bottom of the barrel if you ask me.

Some of the phones they put on as 3G multimedia phones are just plain ridiculous also. Why is the Entice, a basic flip phone, nothing more, requiring a data plan? People are not browsing web and checking emails on that phone. Not like you can browse to too many websites on a phone that can only load mobile websites.
    I am going to agree as a consumer and stay on the fence as a rep...
    I have 3 lines... 2 are regular phones... my daughter I will have no issues with as she has an LG vx8300 and will keep it until there is NO other alternative but to upgrade. Then she will get her dads enV2.
    My bf however, wants the EnV3 and I was going to get it for him for his birthday. However, once I tell him about what has transpired today he's going to be one of those who pi$$es and moans about the data plan.
    He doesnt use it he likes having the full keyboard for texting. He doesnt care about getting on the net or his email. Its going to be hard for him to get over this. I guess I will have to research and find something that will work for him. Hopefully though we should be able to get things squared away finance wise for me to do an AOL on our account so we can get the 20% employee discount at Qwest and then the data plans will not be so harsh.
    As a rep, I understand and agree with this move as a business...
    More people are using data. Did you know that JUST LOGGING INTO facebook or myspace takes about 3MB!? This is true!
    at 1.99 per MB thats $6 just to log into your app... might as well have 25 right?
    It was inevitable I guess and I can only say that I could see it coming down the pipe the more data blocks and overages I was dealing with every day.
    Goal is to get as many data blocks off accounts as possible. We've been working tward this for a year now with data block alternatives... like the plans and usage controls.
    This move along with the fru policy change has enabled verizon to be able to decrease price plans. They waited for Tmo to make their move first but generally thats what they do... AT&T watches VZW and makes their moves after us.
    I'm sure everything will calm down just like it did after the implementation of the data plans on smart phones...
    (btw smartphones like the 6800 and Palm Centro WILL require the data plans if the phone is changed.. fru insurance or 3rd party purchase )
    Happy hunting! For all those complaining and threatening to go to another company... well... you'll get most of the same thing anywhere else.
    Last edited by IDsweetcheeks; 01-18-10 at 02:14 PM. Reason: ammending the phone daughter has
    01-18-10 02:14 PM
    I really like the new unlimited plan structure but as usual my corporate discount of 19% would be inactive with this plan.
    01-18-10 02:21 PM
    Oh sorry,
    Just popped the vzw website and here are the list of phones that are considered 3G Multimedia phones.

Moto Rival
    Moto Entice
    LG 8360
    EnV3
    EnV Touch
    Nokia Twist
    Samsung Rogue
    LG Chocolate touch

Here are the phones considered Simple Feature Phones...

Samsung SCH-u340
    Samsung SCH-u410
    Samsung Sway
    Samsung Smooth
    Samsung Trance
    LG VX5500
    VZW Razzle
    VZW Escapade
    Samsung Intensity
    Samsung Renown
    Samsung Knack
    Samsung Convoy
    Moto Barrage
    Casio G'zOne Rock

See? There are TONS of phones that would work out for those who didnt want a data plan.
    They all seem to be nice hardy phones.
    Here is the website to look at them...
    Verizon Phone Lineup
    01-18-10 02:21 PM
    I'll probably just hold out for a *true* unlimited plan. I just want to pay $X a month for whatever the phone is capable of doing and not have to worry about going over some predetermined limit. They say 'unlimited' on the front end then nickle and dime you to death on the back end. $30 a month because I have a Blackberry, $3 a month for Visual Voicemail, $10 a month for navigation etc.

01-18-10 02:30 PM
    They wont. Thats why they took away the connect, premium and email plans.
    The new plan is designed so that you can alacarte the features you want.
    Like picking and choosing the ammenities you want in a car... sorta.
    You pay extra for those too you know.

No unlimited "everything" plan in the works as it would seem from how I read the training module.
    You dont HAVE to have those other features either you know.
    01-18-10 02:35 PM
    They wont. Thats why they took away the connect, premium and email plans.
    The new plan is designed so that you can alacarte the features you want.
    Like picking and choosing the ammenities you want in a car... sorta.
    You pay extra for those too you know.

No unlimited "everything" plan in the works as it would seem from how I read the training module.
    You dont HAVE to have those other features either you know.
    I understand what they're doing, but I don't plan to eliminate my plan anytime at this point. I was told by several Verizon representatives that most if not all corporate discounts cover the voice plan itself and not the extras such as data and text messaging. However, because I have the $119.99 [900 Minutes/Unl. Text/Data] plan, I get 19% off of that total number.

Besides, I only use like 300 minutes per month because of Friends and Family so it's fine.
    01-18-10 02:40 PM
    Thanks for the post Bum. Hopefully this will answer a lot of questions people have about the changes. And maybe save us a few calls in the centers
    01-18-10 03:03 PM
    Thanks for the post Bum. Hopefully this will answer a lot of questions people have about the changes. And maybe save us a few calls in the centers
    That's always the goal .
    01-18-10 03:09 PM
    WOW Great post! THanks for the info. Too bad they didn't help me out at all! I'm on the 1400 family plan with 3 phones! They should allow you to drop to 700 w/ f&f!
    01-18-10 03:21 PM
145 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD