I had ATT for a couple of months just for the roll over minutes. I live in Scottsdale, AZ and attempted to make a call on the local highway and after about 3 miles the call would not connect. Gave up and went to Verizon. Verizon also has way better service out in the country in AZ too.
    I can vouch for that, as well - even after a hugely advertised 2007 local 'investment' in the AT&T network ($350 million), they still couldn't keep up.

I drive through Scottsdale, Carefree, Cave Creek and most of the Valley nearly every day and have signaling equipment. There just is no comparison. AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint - they all have huge holes. There are village centers without 3G and many areas with marginal or no service - some transient & some static. Yet VZW holds up throughout the entire area & beyond.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-09 04:27 PM
    Why isn't this stickied?
    05-12-09 10:45 AM
    Should be stickied just to show how much VZW ownz
    10-05-09 02:50 PM
    Should be stickied just to show how much VZW ownz
    Oh it was bumped; we have been saying sticky this for a long time.......
    10-05-09 03:01 PM
    There's going to be some advertising starting tonight during the Monday Night Football game that pertains to this very topic....

...Watch for it...
    10-05-09 05:18 PM
    So Verizon has the best network and Apple has the best smartphone. Too bad you can't use the best phone on the best network.
    10-05-09 05:37 PM
    I can vouch for that, as well - even after a hugely advertised 2007 local 'investment' in the AT&T network ($350 million), they still couldn't keep up.

I drive through Scottsdale, Carefree, Cave Creek and most of the Valley nearly every day and have signaling equipment. There just is no comparison. AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint - they all have huge holes. There are village centers without 3G and many areas with marginal or no service - some transient & some static. Yet VZW holds up throughout the entire area & beyond.

It's like that in the valley, Northern CA, Southern CA, the Northeast. Large swaths of covered territory. This week I'm spending my time traveling between Scottsdale and Surprise.

10-05-09 05:49 PM
    It's like that in the valley, Northern CA, Southern CA, the Northeast. Large swaths of covered territory. This week I'm spending my time traveling between Scottsdale and Surprise.

When I was in no. cal this past summer. I noticed that m vzw signal was not
    that strong. I think maybe AT&T has no. cal wired. The bay area
    10-05-09 08:04 PM
    There's going to be some advertising starting tonight during the Monday Night Football game that pertains to this very topic....

...Watch for it...
    I won't be able to watch the game so please kind ladies and gents. Please keep up posted..........................
    I reall don't wanna leave VZW. But those rollover minutes and the 10 friends,
    I hope vzw has an answer. I get comfortable and some things I jus don't
    wanna change. Also I know vzw's lte netwrk is gonna be the deal.
    Called a rep and spoke with him. His answer was hopefull we will do something competitive.....
    N I really don't wanna get an iphone.
    I just cant see myself with it.
    Not that its a bad phone played with a co-workers.
    It was cool but I just don't know
    10-05-09 08:09 PM
    How many minutes do you have now?

How many minutes do you leave on the table each month?

Do you ever go over?

How many people do you call who are on VZW?

Answer these & I may be able to direct you.

Then again, I might not be able to. Laying in bed (do you have any idea just how comfy a Dux bed really is?), game on the big screen, Scotch in one glass, Jones lemon-lime in another (no HFCS for me), two laptops & several phones in reach. I may not be able to respond.

10-05-09 09:14 PM
    Old thread lol
    10-05-09 09:25 PM
    I respectfully disagree with some of your statements.

Please, allow me to retort.

1st: LTE as defined by the 3GPP will allow seamless integration with existing GSM, WCDMA, and CDMA infrastructures.

2nd: LTE as defined by the 3GPP is based on UMTS which is AT&T 3G (in combination with HSDPA.)

3rd: UMTS is based on WCDMA with a GSM based voice band.

4th: VZW is adopting and presently testing LTE as defined by the 3GPP. Which is the reason that they are migrating to a completely different infrastructure that supports the evolution of UMTS 3G, also known as LTE.

5th: The iPhone contractual agreements set forth by Apple to AT&T expire in 2010. I'm speculating, but I have a hard time believing that VZW is not going to jump at the chance to grab the next incarnation of that agreement if offered the chance. Now, even if there are no roaming agreements, and VZW does not grab the iPhone, given the fact that VZW is going to embrace 4G LTE based on UMTS, I can always grab a factory unlocked 4G iPhone from Italy or Australia and activate that on VZW.

6th: There are basically 3 effective 4G technologies as stated below:

-LTE: Based on GSM/UMTS with a flexible bandwidth selection. That being said, it would be unwise for VZW to choose an off beat spectrum and make phone manufacturers build devices to work on just its network while the rest of the world is using a standardized spectrum. This will not only push away phone manufacturers but also increase costs for all parties involved. As it stands now, CDMA is not exclusive to the US, and there are a few other countries that use it. So it is still somewhat cost effective to produce these phones. Plus, VZW could preach that all their phones are World Phones, as does AT&T currently, effectively removing AT&T's World Phone advertising advantage.

-UMB: Based on CDMA. Effectively killed off by Qualcomm

-WiMAX: Sprint (Need I say more?)

So, I cannot predict the future, as far as I know neither can any of you, but I do believe that what we see in the next couple of years is going to be completely b1tchin'.

Regardless of what happens VZW will have the best network in the US. They have the money and the customer base to back it up, and we all know this. What I am hoping for is a contractual agreement between Apple and VZW to release the iPhone on VZW. Although, I would be extremely pissed off if VZW locked down the GPS and WiFi...LOL...and I highly doubt that AT&T will allow that contract to fall into the hands of one of it's competitors, but hey, ya never know.

The one problem I see with this statement is that LTE is supposed to be standardized, is it not? So, that being said, how is it that early LTE capable devices in other countries are going to fall back on CDMA when they have no CDMA infrastructure?

Now, don't take me wrong, I switched for the phone, definitely not the service. AT&T is an archaic company that should just be put out of business in the wireless field. They should stick to DSL, landlines, and U-verse. Personally when I walk into an AT&T store I feel like I have went back in time by about 5 years and dread dealing with the CSR's that are absolutely useless.

Anyways, enough rambling for now. Time to get some sleep, I just pulled a 12 hour shift.

If any of my information is wrong, do feel free to correct me. I just wont be able to look at it until tomorrow sometime.
    WOW. Do I get CEU's for reading this thread
    10-06-09 11:23 AM
    I am due for an update at VZW. I currently have curve 8330 which I love. Should I wait until 4G is available?
    01-15-10 08:34 AM
    I am due for an update at VZW. I currently have curve 8330 which I love. Should I wait until 4G is available?
    I would not, 4G devices are a ways off and BB device even more so. The first devices to 4g from what I understand will most likely be modems.
    01-15-10 08:38 AM
    I would not, 4G devices are a ways off and BB device even more so. The first devices to 4g from what I understand will most likely be modems.
    I'm with the little devil on this one.
    01-15-10 01:50 PM
    If 4g modem comes out, I hope it's like the MiFi since I have that, I never leave home without it. I keep it in my laptop bag all the time and I love every bit of it. Battery life isn't that good but ability to have internet anywhere with more then one computer is a great.
    01-16-10 12:59 AM
    No but I would wait a little while longer and get the Tour2. As stated it's gonna be a while before we get a BB that uses 4G and my hunch is that it is gonna be the Storm3 or 4, not a traditional BB.
    01-17-10 03:24 AM
    I'm going to tell you like this. I had AT&T and I had to drive over an hour to get 3g. I then moved to one of those red spots where it is stronger than Verizon and it was not. It didn't feel 3g at all. It was slow as ****. Even on a regular phone my Verizon evdo has always been faster. And Verizon has rev a evdo in virtually every area I go. As a matter of fact I've never been out of their 3g network. I've never just had a regular 1x signal. Even on the mountains and most rural areas. And I live in the south.
    01-17-10 06:26 AM
143 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD