Part of this may be the phones in use, but good ears (not mine, unfortunately) may be able to detect the difference between GSM & CDMA - GSM does provide a more natural sound, because it isn't fully digital across the entire transmission. This is one of the GSM advantages, but one that most folks may never notice.
    If no one ever notices, then how exactly is it an advantage?
    04-08-09 06:02 AM
    Hey All
    I really wouldn't go messing with Twin. I work in the telecomm field.
    I can tell you this from his response in a thread I started. He knows
    his stuff. Very knowledgeable. Dudes um an upper level telecomm
    engineer. Hey may not admit it but I can tell that he is. I dare say
    design; plus I have a feeling he has been doing this for quite some time.
    Nice post; with pics and a very reputable JD Power survey to back it
    up.
    04-08-09 11:51 AM
    If no one ever notices, then how exactly is it an advantage?
    It I to those with sensitive hearing. Most may never notice because they don't have the opportunity to listen back-to-back in similar environments. Even with my hearing deficiencies, if I were to take say an 8330 and make a call on a CDMA network and then make the same call on a 8320 through a GSM network, I might detect a fuller sound or more "warmth" to the tone. Neither matches the sound we used to get with copper MaBell lines, using a Western Electric telephone set, though.

In reality, what happens is most folks attribute call sound differences to the individual connection or the phone being used.

I pointed it out primarily because some feel it is a GSM advantage, even if it is a slight one.
    Nice post; with pics and a very reputable JD Power survey to back it
    up.
    Thanks - although when Power doesn't back up someone's view, the talking point quickly becomes one about how slanted they are.

What I find disturbing is how facts are presented and the naysayers come out of the woodwork to defend their company of choice, using nothing more than rhetoric or talking points. If these same naysayers didn't pay their bill, that company they are so adamant about defending wouldn't stand by them at all. Even though they stoop to often using blatant hatred in defense of that company, they are just a number to that company. They get all riled up because I might say XYZ Co uses faulty widgets, yet they don't care what is going on in the world around them.

It is fun though, as I know my words affect them so deeply, I must be striking a chord, a weak spot in their psyche, to get them so irate as to defend a faceless company.

Facts are facts and do not change. Opinions are opinions and may be changed. Emotions are emotions and not always reasonable. Opinions are shaped by facts, but debates are never won by emotion.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-08-09 12:52 PM

Facts are facts and do not change.
    Thanks for the facts.

I've based my choices on my personal experience, although it's nice to see some facts which back up that my experience seems to be the rule and not the exception.

Thanks again. Great post.
    04-08-09 02:21 PM
    Nice post

04-08-09 09:06 PM
    Kinda hard to argue with those facts.

Looks like VZW is the horse to ride...
    04-08-09 09:26 PM
    And the best test of all....when I talk to mu EX wife, her att phone drops the call constantly! First I thoiught she was just hanging up on me, but she always called back and apologized for her phone service. The apologies were her only ones ever!

So in conclusion, att, although being inferior to vzw, they are great at making me happy otherwise!

04-08-09 09:40 PM
    we had ATT BB phones and the cellular tower was less than a mile away from my office building. Once inside the building the signal was no where to be found and of course that meant no calls or email were received. Verizon tower is 2 miles away and we are able to get calls/emails/text/MMS without a problem. Now here is the kicker, office building has been certified to withstand a category 5 hurricane so you can imagine how thick the walls are.
    04-08-09 09:46 PM
    we had ATT BB phones and the cellular tower was less than a mile away from my office building. Once inside the building the signal was no where to be found and of course that meant no calls or email were received. Verizon tower is 2 miles away and we are able to get calls/emails/text/MMS without a problem. Now here is the kicker, office building has been certified to withstand a category 5 hurricane so you can imagine how thick the walls are.
    see that is suprising to me, i've always heard that GSM has way better penetration, and CDMA not so much, due to the higher band and frequencies, etc. all this thread has done to me is salivate over LTE capabilities! i can't wait!!!
    04-09-09 08:35 PM
    see that is suprising to me, i've always heard that GSM has way better penetration, and CDMA not so much, due to the higher band and frequencies, etc. all this thread has done to me is salivate over LTE capabilities! i can't wait!!!
    1900MHz PCS, like Sprint uses, does have difficulty. It is high frequency, very localized service, requiring a lot of tower locations. The majority of VZW's network is 800MHz - longer range, better penetration. CDMA is also fully digital, meaning there is no conversion like GSM has to go through. Again, better penetration.

VZW's LTE will be 700MHz.
    04-10-09 12:26 AM
    VZW's LTE will be 700MHz.
    And with speeds comparable to home broadband it will completely and decisively WIPE THE FLOOR with the competition, all of em.
    04-11-09 01:59 AM
    Great post TwinX2Dad, if there was an imaginary election season with Verizon and ATT, you made a great factual commercial for them. i can picture your FACT FACT FACT 's running down the tv screen with a frown face next to the ATT symbol instead of a globe!
    04-11-09 02:34 AM
    Verizon+Niagra = FTW!!
    04-11-09 11:02 AM
    Great post TwinX2Dad, if there was an imaginary election season with Verizon and ATT, you made a great factual commercial for them. i can picture your FACT FACT FACT 's running down the tv screen with a frown face next to the ATT symbol instead of a globe!
    I wonder how much they'll pay me?

Wondering if the maps are pre or post Alltel acquistion.
    I finally got an answer - regular customer service channel question via the Website.

These are all pre-Alltel. Updated versions are coming, but no word as to when.

And, from my own information, AT&T has added roughly 200 square miles of 3G coverage in the past year - a rate that may actually drop in preparation for LTE.

Things work slowly over there.
    04-11-09 12:15 PM
    This is true in my experience my alltel service beats my friends at&t service. They don't even have 3g in our area about a 2 hours from phoenix when I get it just about everywhere in the city. On a side note sprint reps are saying their gonna have 4g out by the end of the year in arizona, anyone else heard this?

04-11-09 01:22 PM
    Have not heard this, but I know Sprint is going to WIMAX - their version of G4. NOw from what I have heard they will be the only one using this. It appears most other carriers are going LTE. Can you say VHS verses Beta? We all know what happened to Beta

Also very curious as to what a question like this would be asked in the VZW forums. Might get a better answer in the Sprint forums
    04-11-09 01:27 PM
    Right right I was just curious if anyone else had heard these claims I figured they were just a ploy to get more customers has the people at the mall here are telling everyone that walks by lol.

04-11-09 01:44 PM
    OIC - nothing like setting up customer to get business. If it is ture, then it is a sales ploy
    04-11-09 01:57 PM
    More like 2010 - but coverage will still be spotty. Sprint simply does not have the towers to pull off anything more than here & there.

Again, if you're in town, you'll have coverage. When not in town, you won't.

Has anyone seen the battery needs for WiMAX? It isn't pretty - it could be as bad as half the life (or worse) of current devices.

The battery issue is really formidable for manufacturers who want to build chips for multi-band WiMAX phones to be used in different parts of the world. Each region, such as the United States and Asia, is setting aside a different portion of the spectrum for WiMAX, and accessing multiple bands usually requires a separate chip for each band.

Some chipmakers are using smaller transistors that require less voltage to turn on and off. Additionally, algorithmic methods are being used to efficiently code and decode information onto radio waves, relieving some of the power-consumption burden from the MIMO process. We may also see a single chip capable of sending and receiving signals in two of the most widely used bands for WiMAX, which is 2.3-2.7GHz & 3.3-3.8GHz.

But again notice a few issues with WiMAX. Not all phones will be "world phones" as different frequencies will be in play. To have the capability of operating in several areas would also give you a device that has an even shorter batter life than WiMax already will be seeing.

There is promise to WiMAX, but not enough for me. In my eyes, it is an improvement on an old technology.

A nice article, centered on the primary use for mobile broadband - computer tethering - can be found here.

When you get realistic about mobile broadband, it isn't targeted toward BlackBerry or WinMo, but toward Windows Vista, Mac, etc. Laptops & stationary installations will be key. Mom on VCast won't notice.
    04-11-09 02:37 PM
    All of this 4G plays to my advantage. Even when VZW beats AT&T to the punch with 4G I can still roam on VZW because that is the goal for Long Term Evolution...LOL. Interoperability with all other networks on the planet.

Which means:

A.) I can keep my iPhone and continue building apps.
    B.) I can have 4G roaming, cheaper than having VZW directly.

Man I love capitalism...
    04-12-09 09:10 PM
    That will be interesting keeping the iPhone, unless of course Apple make an LTE capable device.
    04-12-09 09:17 PM
    All of this 4G plays to my advantage. Even when VZW beats AT&T to the punch with 4G I can still roam on VZW because that is the goal for Long Term Evolution...LOL. Interoperability with all other networks on the planet.

Which means:

A.) I can keep my iPhone and continue building apps.
    B.) I can have 4G roaming, cheaper than having VZW directly.

Man I love capitalism...
    Except you'll still only get 3g speeds because your phone doesn't have a 4g capable chipset.
    04-12-09 09:25 PM
    While Verizon is spending its money on advertising, AT&T is focusing on improving its infrastructure.

In 5 years Verizon is going to be the 1970's equivalent of the Cadillac - all gliter, no substance.
    Ya' gotta love it. The OP is one of the most fact-filled posts I've read on here in a long time (well done, btw), yet here comes a yahoo who seemingly didn't even read it! If it wasn't so sad, it would be hillarious!
    04-12-09 09:25 PM
    Except you'll still only get 3g speeds because your phone doesn't have a 4g capable chipset.
    That will be interesting keeping the iPhone, unless of course Apple make an LTE capable device.
    I'll answer both of you with one post...

Hopefully iPhone 4G is what we get in June along with OS 3.0

If not, it will be June 2010 and possibly shall I say, OS 4.0?

Regardless, I will still be able to pickup VZW GSM 3G because their 4G is going to be based on GSM technology so it is interoperable with the rest of the world.

Now, I'm sure at this point you are considering me an apple fanboy...do not be quick to assume. I actually have 7 Microshaft certs for XP/2003 and am an MCSE. Beyond all of that, I originally wanted to keep VZW when I bought my iPhone but in order to port my number they required that I pay a disconnect fee. If I wanted to continue to have VZW service I would've had to pay a disconnect fee and sign a new contract...that is not happening.

So, as you can see, the only reason I even switched is for supplemental income from the app store.
    04-12-09 09:34 PM
    Sorry, but LTE is in no way tied to GSM, other than they are both radios transmission types.

VZW has exclusive rights to the 700MHz band and there is zero reporting that they will have roaming agreements or even reason to believe they will enter into any with AT&T.

There is also the carrier statements that has VZW's LTE rollout starting 2 years before AT&T's and with a much more aggressive rollout schedule.

Any hope that AT&T phones will be allowed access to VZW's network is nothing more than the pipedreams of AT&T chatrooms.

04-12-09 11:52 PM
143 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD