Gotcha, here is a link to the FCC auction 73. FCC Auction 73 You can view the results of the auction and see what AT&T got. A quick scan I did showed that most of AT&T winning bids were in the B block.
    Cool thanks
    04-27-09 12:06 PM
    It looks like the MHz will be the same but like Twin said VZW got the biggest block according to the description.
    This is gonna make things very interesting.
    04-27-09 12:16 PM
    this link shows a better view of what verizon's 4g will look like in the us;
    Cellular Map Net-700 MHz Wireless Auction Results Maps
    04-27-09 01:07 PM
    this link shows a better view of what verizon's 4g will look like in the us;
    Cellular Map Net-700 MHz Wireless Auction Results Maps
    Speechless...............................

I see why Appl wants to jump on the VZW bandwagon.....
    That is why I am staying with VZW.
    Thanks for the link.
    04-27-09 02:05 PM
    Ok....someone educate this dumba$$. What is the difference in blocks and how does it equate to overall coverage? Twins...hook a brotha up
    04-27-09 02:35 PM
    Don't forget that AT&T already owned a bunch of 700 MHz spectrum before the auction from Aloha Partners and therefore did not really need to purchase a national license during the auction.
    04-27-09 05:20 PM
    Ok....someone educate this dumba$$. What is the difference in blocks and how does it equate to overall coverage? Twins...hook a brotha up
    Gladly - the "blocks" are blocks of the upper end of the old UHF TV spectrum.

Block A: 12 MHz bandwidth - 698�704 & 728�734 MHz
    Block B: 12 MHz bandwidth - 704�710 & 734�740 MHz
    Block C: 22 MHz bandwidth - 746�757 & 776�787 MHz
    Block D: 10 MHz bandwidth - 758�763 & 788�793 MHz
    Block E: 6 MHz bandwidth - 722�728 MHz

I'd like to note that VZW picked up Block C, with its much wider bandwidth. This will allow VZW a therorical maximum bandwidth & speed much greater than the others. For comparison, WIMAX uses 20MHz slots, but lacks national reach or rural coverage. In an attempt to close the gap, AT&T is exploring keeping voice on the current GSM network, running data on both GSM & LTE. If you think this is a good idea, know first that bandwidth will still be below that of Block C. Couple that with the customer service nightmare of using your phone & having it switch between three native networks, then if one network is down... why is my data working but not my phone? And the inevitable, WHY DOES MY BATTERY DRAIN SO QUICKLY? Then there is the issue of handoffs - GSM doesn't play nicely in handoffs to other GSM towers, with its hard handoff protocol (which leads to a lot of dropped calls). It is much worse with GSM to another technology. CDMA, on the other hand, doesn't suffer like this. LTE to either CDMA or GSM is still theoretical for real world operation, but LTE itself is a soft handoff technology, meaning that equipment switching speed would be the limiter for CDMA. GSM itself would be the limiter on handoffs from LTE.

The images from the links above match the licensing overlays. Coupled with VZW's far more aggressive rollout, this places VZW many years ahead of anyone else on near-nationwide. The block they bought also means a greater number of services they will be able to offer.

With what I've seen, the coverage/speed pretty much renders WiFi a moot subject. As for GPS - early indications say probably not. But that doesn't mean that more devices won't be coming with dual-mode GPS. It looks like most of the new BlackBerry & WinMo smartphones will have dual-mode - and it doesn't matter on dumbphones, since you're mostly stuck with what it comes with.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-09 05:48 PM
    Don't forget that AT&T already owned a bunch of 700 MHz spectrum before the auction from Aloha Partners and therefore did not really need to purchase a national license during the auction.

Aloha Partners LP is a telecommunications company based in Providence, RI. It is the largest owner of 700MHz spectrum in the United States.

Aloha Partners LP is and was the largest buyer of spectrum in the FCC auctions of 700MHz radio frequencies in 2001 and 2003. Since that time Aloha has also acquired the second largest (Cavalier Group LLC) and third largest (DataCom Wireless LLC) owners of 700MHz spectrum.[1] As a result, Aloha currently owns 12 MHz of spectrum covering 60% of the United States - including all of the top 10 markets and 84% of the population in the top 40 markets.

On September 19, 2007, Aloha Partners announced that it had reached an agreement with LIN Television Corp. to purchase their entire catalog of 31 spectrum licenses in the 700 MHz band.[2]

On February 4, 2008, the FCC approved the $2.5 billion buyout of Aloha Partners by AT&T Mobility.[3] This gives AT&T control of former television channel 54 and 59 in a coverage area which includes 72 of the top 100 metropolitan areas and a grand total of 196 million people in 281 markets.[4]

According to this info AT&T looks as though they will have the upper hand.
    So what say you
    Thanks Twin
    Last edited by TrendyProfessional1; 04-27-09 at 06:54 PM.
    04-27-09 06:47 PM
    Is this sticky material?
    04-27-09 06:50 PM
    So will VZW still be the largest?
    Whether or not AT&T uses all of the licenses, a point still in contention, speculation & debate, the answer is... Yes.

04-27-09 06:51 PM
    So Twin u are saying even if AT&T uses all the liscenses VZW will still be larger?
    WOW; thanks.
    There has to be a reason that Appl is talking with VZW because the know
    VZW will reign supreme.
    I also cannot see VZW giving up it's claim to being the largest most reliable.
    04-27-09 06:59 PM
    Gladly - the "blocks" are blocks of the upper end of the old UHF TV spectrum.

Block A: 12 MHz bandwidth - 698�704 & 728�734 MHz
    Block B: 12 MHz bandwidth - 704�710 & 734�740 MHz
    Block C: 22 MHz bandwidth - 746�757 & 776�787 MHz
    Block D: 10 MHz bandwidth - 758�763 & 788�793 MHz
    Block E: 6 MHz bandwidth - 722�728 MHz

I'd like to note that VZW picked up Block C, with its much wider bandwidth. This will allow VZW a therorical maximum bandwidth & speed much greater than the others. For comparison, WIMAX uses 20MHz slots, but lacks national reach or rural coverage. In an attempt to close the gap, AT&T is exploring keeping voice on the current GSM network, running data on both GSM & LTE. If you think this is a good idea, know first that bandwidth will still be below that of Block C. Couple that with the customer service nightmare of using your phone & having it switch between three native networks, then if one network is down... why is my data working but not my phone? And the inevitable, WHY DOES MY BATTERY DRAIN SO QUICKLY? Then there is the issue of handoffs - GSM doesn't play nicely in handoffs to other GSM towers, with its hard handoff protocol (which leads to a lot of dropped calls). It is much worse with GSM to another technology. CDMA, on the other hand, doesn't suffer like this. LTE to either CDMA or GSM is still theoretical for real world operation, but LTE itself is a soft handoff technology, meaning that equipment switching speed would be the limiter for CDMA. GSM itself would be the limiter on handoffs from LTE.

The images from the links above match the licensing overlays. Coupled with VZW's far more aggressive rollout, this places VZW many years ahead of anyone else on near-nationwide. The block they bought also means a greater number of services they will be able to offer.

With what I've seen, the coverage/speed pretty much renders WiFi a moot subject. As for GPS - early indications say probably not. But that doesn't mean that more devices won't be coming with dual-mode GPS. It looks like most of the new BlackBerry & WinMo smartphones will have dual-mode - and it doesn't matter on dumbphones, since you're mostly stuck with what it comes with.

Thanks Twins. You're in a class that only a few can reach. Please PM me...I need to talk to you. Thanks brother!
    04-27-09 10:26 PM
    Is this sticky material?
    I definately think it is Trendy....lots of good info here for us technologically challenged (me)
    04-27-09 10:44 PM
    I definately think it is Trendy....lots of good info here for us technologically challenged (me)
    U and me both Dr. Twin is off the chart. Also if others step up for intelligent debate it make is that much more interesting.....
    Its nice talking about the latest gizmos and gadgets coming out. But knowing the road you will be driving on makes it
    that much more interesting. I like nuts and bolts stuff
    04-28-09 06:51 AM
    That's a lot of info yall are puttin out
    04-28-09 06:54 AM
    Since folks are coming and asking about LTE and all just thought I would bump.
    Its informative should be a sticky and closed...
    04-30-09 11:50 PM
    GREAT POST!!! i work for the company and trust me we are killing att and will kill them even more once we get Sprint(SHHH i didnt tell)
    05-03-09 06:14 PM
    While Verizon is spending its money on advertising, AT&T is focusing on improving its infrastructure.

In 5 years Verizon is going to be the 1970's equivalent of the Cadillac - all gliter, no substance.
    If I remember correctly when ATT advertises its best network it is based off global coverage and not there USA network. To me its an admission that they know there network is not the best.
    05-03-09 07:29 PM
    While Verizon is spending its money on advertising, AT&T is focusing on improving its infrastructure.

In 5 years Verizon is going to be the 1970's equivalent of the Cadillac - all gliter, no substance.
    Don't make me laugh. You've got it backwards!

VZW has had virtually their entire network at 3G for over a year and the last figures I saw AT&T was just over 40%. They wont finish that for almost a year.

Verizon is adding new towers regularly and is now testing LTE in a handful of markets while AT&T is struggling to maintain and upgrade legacy equipment they got from Dobson CelOne and other carriers they ate. They are also investing tons of time flip flopping the EDGE and 3G frequencies because their 3G is so weak.

Verizon will have their LTE network done before AT&T even starts on theirs.
    05-03-09 11:00 PM
    That's good - coming from someone in the network infrastructure industry, I know that, for every dollar in infrastructure improvements AT&T spends, VZW has been spending about $2.46, give or take a penny or two.
    Hi Twin,

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, as you can see in my signature, I'm a big believer of VZW and push them on all my friends and family whenever I can.

With regard to the above fact, does any of this have to do with the fact that their technology is "owned" (patented) by Qualcomm so the technology and infrastructure costs THAT much more?

Also, do you have a way to prove all the facts you pointed out? Again, it's certainly not that I disbelieve anything you said ... I would just love to be able to point certain people in the right direction to see some first-hand sources that prove every fact you pointed out.

However, if you don't, please keep the facts coming, it's very cool learning some of the "behind the scenes" stuff that we're normally blocked from seeing.

Thanks,
    Eric
    05-04-09 01:55 PM
    Man that was some post.
    05-07-09 09:39 PM
    You GET what you PAY for! GO VERIZON!!!!
    05-08-09 08:57 AM
    Good post. I have trouble seeing why people would go to ATT except for certain circumstances. I can see why you'd switch to TMo - to save money, and gain unique features like UMA, at the cost of lesser overall coverage.

But ATT to me almost seems like TMo's coverage with VZW's prices! Granted they are a bit broader than TMo, but nonetheless, I think generally speaking, its a fair assessment.
    05-08-09 11:52 AM
    I had ATT for a couple of months just for the roll over minutes. I live in Scottsdale, AZ and attempted to make a call on the local highway and after about 3 miles the call would not connect. Gave up and went to Verizon. Verizon also has way better service out in the country in AZ too.
    05-08-09 12:51 PM
    Nice post i hope you dident do all this from your phone. if you did god bless
    05-08-09 09:55 PM
143 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD