We seem to have so many claims of 3G this and AT&T is 3G while Verizon isn't. While I've gone into the realities of the 3G process, its definition and the actual differences between AT&T EDGE 3G on GSM and VZW EVDO 3G on CDMA, here I just wanted to make it visual.

I have attached a 3G Network Survey for AT&T as run by Wired. It is less than 6 months old. Green is 3G, while less than green is not really or at all.

After you've looked at the image, check out this YouTube video:

While you're at it, the 2009 J.D. Powers Survey is out.

Search Awards and Studies
    The awards in this section recognize the highest-ranking products, services, or companies in the firm’s syndicated studies. Awards and award categories are determined before each study is conducted.

2009 Wireless Call Quality Performance Study—Volume 1

The 2009 Wireless Call Quality Performance Study—Volume 1 measures wireless call quality based on seven problem areas that impact overall carrier performance: dropped calls; static/interference; failed connection on the first try; voice distortion; echoes; no immediate voicemail notification; and no immediate text message notification. Call quality issues are measured as problems per 100 (PP100) calls, where a lower score reflects fewer problems and higher quality.

Industry: Telecommunications
    Category: Wireless

Awards

Highest Call Quality Performance Among Wireless Cell Phone Users In the Northeast Region
    Awardee(s): Verizon Wireless

Highest Call Quality Performance Among Wireless Cell Phone Users In the Mid-Atlantic Region

Highest Call Quality Performance Among Wireless Cell Phone Users In the Southeast Region

Highest Call Quality Performance Among Wireless Cell Phone Users In the North Central Region
    Awardee(s): U.S. Cellular

Highest Call Quality Performance Among Wireless Cell Phone Users In the West Region in a Tie
    Awardee(s): Sprint Nextel

Highest Call Quality Performance Among Wireless Cell Phone Users In the Southwest Region

Highest Call Quality Performance Among Wireless Cell Phone Users In the West Region in a Tie
    Then note the overall for 2008:

2008 Wireless Retail Sales Satisfaction Study–Volume 2
    The 2008 Wireless Retail Sales Satisfaction Study–Volume 2 analyzes evaluations from customers who recently had a wireless retail sales experience. Overall customer satisfaction with major wireless carrier-branded stores is based on four factors. In order of importance, they are: sales staff (51%); store display (17%); store facility (16%); and price/promotion (16%).

Industry: Telecommunications
    Category: Wireless

Awards

Highest in Overall Customer Satisfaction with Wireless Retail Service
    So, when your iPhone toting teeny-bopper tries to tell you that you're behind because you're on VZW, or a co-worker points to the hopelessly advertising-slanted drivel from Computerword or Computer Shopper, pat them on the head, give them a cookie and smile.

More graphic indicators:

AT&T and VZW Overlap:
    Verizon EVDO 3G Broadband:

And you see those wee little pinpoints of red? That is where AT&T Data Connect is stronger than VZW. Step one way or another and your speed craps out.

Which would you be better off with - the yellow or the orange & red?

Why is it only Verizon Wireless has the courage to post 3G comparisons on their site? The other guys just claim their network is faster, larger, better. Try it yourself here:

3C Coverage Comparison

Make sure you check the link on that page labeled: Broadband 3G Network Comparison. And before you blow it off as VZW propaganda, the information has been confirmed by TelephonyOnline & others.

The AT&T Network is so underdeveloped - it is said that VZW will have more 4G coverage than AT&T has 3G coverage by Q2 2010.

Smoke that in your iPhone.
    03-28-09 07:52 PM
    ATT to my knowledge has no plans to roll out 4g until 2nd quarter 2011, where VZW will have it out in 4th quarter 2010
    03-28-09 07:56 PM
    ATT to my knowledge has no plans to roll out 4g until 2nd quarter 2011, where VZW will have it out in 4th quarter 2010

AT&T's plans include 10-20% of their 3G network being converted by Q2 2012, while VZW is shooting for 80% of their current coverage map by Q2 2011.

My point is that VZW will have more of the US covered in 4G than AT&T will have total 3G coverage within the next year or so.
    03-28-09 08:00 PM
    Nice Post. Just another example of how Verizon OWNS AT&T.
    03-28-09 08:05 PM
    Yet another reason why I chose the storm over the iphone. Nice post.
    03-28-09 08:36 PM
    Wondering if the maps are pre or post Alltel acquistion.
    Last edited by lastraid; 03-28-09 at 10:12 PM.
    03-28-09 09:04 PM
    While Verizon is spending its money on advertising, AT&T is focusing on improving its infrastructure.

In 5 years Verizon is going to be the 1970's equivalent of the Cadillac - all gliter, no substance.
    03-28-09 09:53 PM
    While Verizon is spending its money on advertising, AT&T is focusing on improving its infrastructure.

In 5 years Verizon is going to be the 1970's equivalent of the Cadillac - all gliter, no substance.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH Wrong
    03-28-09 09:54 PM
    Great FREAK"N Post!!!!
    03-28-09 10:07 PM

Seriously????

You may want to read the well thought out posts prior to your attempt.

Fact: AT&T = dropped calls/no service
    03-28-09 10:28 PM

That's good - coming from someone in the network infrastructure industry, I know that, for every dollar in infrastructure improvements AT&T spends, VZW has been spending about $2.46, give or take a penny or two.

Fact: while only about 10% of all cell towers are connected to fiber optics, AT&T is at less than 1% and VZW is at 8%. VZW recently announced a contract with Ethernet to bring all towers into fiber within the next 5 years, while AT&T sits on its thumbs.

Fact: by the time AT&T starts its 4G rollout, VZW will be about 90% complete.

Fact: AT&T's marketing budget is about 15% higher than VZW's and is roughly equal to that of T-Mobile & VZW combined.

Fact: while AT&T made a big marketing deal about spending $350million in upgrades to the Phoenix area, the fifth most populated city in America, VZW quietly spent over $500million. The result? AT&T's 3G coverage in the area is still reliable only in about 45% of the city, while VZW offers seamless 3G coverage over most of the state. Tucson, home of the UA Wildcats & about 3/4million people, still is waiting for 3G coverage AT&T promised them 4 years ago.

Fact: the AT&T fanboys don't care about, nor understand, facts. They only like regurgitating unsubstantiated rumor & talking points.

VZW smokes AT&T, except in 1/10th of a percent of metro areas - look at all those red spots on the map. What red spots? Exactly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-09 11:00 PM
    This guy speaks the truth! Verizon is the most reliable and always adding to its already great network! TwinX2Dad has clearly stated facts and centerfield is voicing has uneducated opinion.
    03-29-09 12:24 PM

LOL

And TwinX2Dad a excellent post that leaves no room for ATT fanboys to talk smack or claim superiority.
    03-29-09 12:38 PM
    Terrific post! Thanks!
    03-29-09 12:48 PM
    Great info guys!
    03-30-09 01:28 AM
    Wondering if the maps are pre or post Alltel acquistion.

Judging by the Southern coverage, I'm gonna guess pre Altell.
    03-30-09 09:06 AM
    Maybe it was the phone (N95-4) but I had someone surprised to hear I was on a cell phone while using it on AT&T's 3G. On my Storm I haven't had complaints, but my ears say "that sounds 'too digital' and not as good" while making calls. Plus losing data while on a call is lame. And yes it would be nice to be able to send emails and such while on the phone.

Calls sound better on my G1, too.

Coverage/signal strength is better at my job than either att or tmo, though.
    03-30-09 10:10 AM
    That's good - coming from someone in the network infrastructure industry, I know that, for every dollar in infrastructure improvements AT&T spends, VZW has been spending about $2.46, give or take a penny or two.

Fact: while only about 10% of all cell towers are connected to fiber optics, AT&T is at less than 1% and VZW is at 8%. VZW recently announced a contract with Ethernet to bring all towers into fiber within the next 5 years, while AT&T sits on its thumbs.

Fact: by the time AT&T starts its 4G rollout, VZW will be about 90% complete.

Fact: AT&T's marketing budget is about 15% higher than VZW's and is roughly equal to that of T-Mobile & VZW combined.

Fact: while AT&T made a big marketing deal about spending $350million in upgrades to the Phoenix area, the fifth most populated city in America, VZW quietly spent over $500million. The result? AT&T's 3G coverage in the area is still reliable only in about 45% of the city, while VZW offers seamless 3G coverage over most of the state. Tucson, home of the UA Wildcats & about 3/4million people, still is waiting for 3G coverage AT&T promised them 4 years ago.

Fact: the AT&T fanboys don't care about, nor understand, facts. They only like regurgitating unsubstantiated rumor & talking points.

VZW smokes AT&T, except in 1/10th of a percent of metro areas - look at all those red spots on the map. What red spots? Exactly.

Okay this is completely off topic BUT this post reminded me of those Wendy's commercials where they are sitting around saying "FACT"...lol...okay sorry...I know, but it's been a rough Monday morning!
    03-30-09 11:53 AM
    Maybe it was the phone (N95-4) but I had someone surprised to hear I was on a cell phone while using it on AT&T's 3G. On my Storm I haven't had complaints, but my ears say "that sounds 'too digital' and not as good" while making calls. Plus losing data while on a call is lame. And yes it would be nice to be able to send emails and such while on the phone.

Calls sound better on my G1, too.

Coverage/signal strength is better at my job than either att or tmo, though.
    Part of this may be the phones in use, but good ears (not mine, unfortunately) may be able to detect the difference between GSM & CDMA - GSM does provide a more natural sound, because it isn't fully digital across the entire transmission. This is one of the GSM advantages, but one that most folks may never notice.

LTE promises a little more warmth in sound quality - I hear it is much like the TrueVoice improvements AT&T implemented for long distance calls a number of years ago.

As for Monday morning, I wish it was a rough one for me - maybe the doctor will let me return to work sometime soon.

03-30-09 12:40 PM
    But.. but.. I have an iPhone so WHAT now?
    03-30-09 03:19 PM
    But.. but.. I have an iPhone so WHAT now?
    Um, you have GSM & you're screwed?

03-30-09 03:35 PM
    But it's an iphone. You fail.
    03-30-09 03:43 PM
    But it's an iphone. You fail.
    Let's see here - what was that famous quote attributed to P.T. Barnum?

Oh crud - my brain isn't working. Maybe I should Google it?

I mean, isn't that what iPhone users do for every bit of info a normal person would know?

03-30-09 03:50 PM
    Well I would google it but unfortunately my phone service isn't working right now. So you'll have to wait until some people hang up so I can use my pretty paper-weig...err phone.
    03-30-09 03:52 PM
    Well I would google it but unfortunately my phone service isn't working right now. So you'll have to wait until some people hang up so I can use my pretty paper-weig...err phone.
    Need my universal phone-fix-tool? It is guaranteed to fix every iPhone problem. As always, my 10# slegehammer is ready & willing.

03-30-09 04:07 PM
143 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD