12-01-09 08:26 PM
37 12
tools
    I have had Sprint & TMO (when they was Omnipoint) since the early 90's (around 97/98). My Sprints phones have never dropped a call. Coverage was awesome. I even had signal in some train stations ( Fulton Street Mall (R/N line for example) back then as well. Sprint was never spotty for me ever, never. Maybe they had Nexel (which I personally hate)?? I have been in about 30 states without dropping a call. Personally I believe that the phone you use also contributes to signal quality.
    I am assuming you were a customer. When I was in IT our company had people switch from sprint to att then verizon. I have not used sprint personally. Again great you have coverage. I am not knocking them.
    I spent 30 yrs in the nyc area and sprint was spotty for my co workers and friends that had it. I am not saying verizon is what everyone should be on.
    I have been across country and the only dead spot I hit is outside of scranton, pa. But we are getting off topic.
    Can we agree to just disagree on this one off topic issue?
    11-28-09 12:10 PM
    chevy VS ford. Verizon vs Sprint, it never ends. one says one is better than the other. If i may add my 2 cents, i had At&t, Verizon and now i have Sprint. I live in a major NY area where all 3 carriers have superior service. And truth is Sprint is just as good as the other 3 in this area. sure i get dropped calls once in a while, but i had them also with the other carriers. point to make is go with what carrier has the best service in your area, not cuz someone says there better. For me Sprint here is the best buy why? cuz i get the same superior service and much better prices its a no brainer.
    This I can agree with.. Everyone's experience with the same carrier will be different. I know some people who say VZ sucks, I know people who say TMO sucks, I say Nextel sucks..
    11-28-09 12:15 PM
    I have had them all. ATT sucked the most by far, T-Mobile was a little better but not much. Verizon was ok, the only problem were the constant dropped calls where I lived in Orange County, CA.

Big Timber, MT not a big city, in fact once can spit from one end of the town to the other. Wheatland, WY again not another large city I can go on and on to the small towns I've visited and flown to in the course of my employment with the airline. Ever hear of Flatonia? It's in Texas, right who knew.

Again driving across country (several times a year), I experience no loss of voice coverage, in more rural areas I lost data coverage.

So are you saying in 8 years Sprints coverage has gotten worse?

An airline employee's experience is somewhat limited in that he flies to the larger cities and doesn't necessarily make it to rural areas. A person traveling by car would experience the highs and lows of their particular carrier. Again, in my area Verizon and Alltel are the ONLY nationwide carriers that offer plans. So, as someone has already stated, whatever carrier meets your needs.
    Your last two questions are "mindblowingly" lame when connected with your statements. I'll turn it around on you. When was the last time you were a Verizon, ATT, T-mobile customer, or have you ever been? Are you basing your statements on experience or hearsay? When you say
    you are presenting hearsay.
    Anyhow, your experience is 8 years old. That is eons in cell phone coverage.
    11-28-09 12:26 PM
    I have had them all. ATT sucked the most by far, T-Mobile was a little better but not much. Verizon was ok, the only problem were the constant dropped calls where I lived in Orange County, CA.

Big Timber, MT not a big city, in fact once can spit from one end of the town to the other. Wheatland, WY again not another large city I can go on and on to the small towns I've visited and flown to in the course of my employment with the airline. Ever hear of Flatonia? It's in Texas, right who knew.

Again driving across country (several times a year), I experience no loss of voice coverage, in more rural areas I lost data coverage.

So are you saying in 8 years Sprints coverage has gotten worse?
    No. I'm saying that if you based your conclusions on your experience 8 years ago they are irrelevant today with the speed that cell usage, technology, and coverage has changed.
    I am also saying that you question others about using what they claim someone told them about lack of coverage, etc. yet you use the same type of evidence in your statement.
    11-28-09 10:10 PM
    First AT&T now Sprint...seems like Verizon wants everyone to bow down or out.
    11-28-09 10:13 PM
    For me Sprint is the most dependable 3G network. My girlfriend has VZW, and we have comparable service in most areas. Our service is pretty much identical. Where she roams, I roam, where she's got great service, I have great service.

I live in a rural area, and I go to school in an urban city. Either place, my service is consistently good.

I can't say the same for AT&T, which my dad has. The iPhone on AT&T has the worst service of any of ours, VZW, Sprint, or anyone else. I convinced him to switch his Nextel to Sprint and he's been nothing but pleased with the service. He still has the AT&T phone but it's a matter of time before that is canceled.
    11-29-09 07:58 PM
    For me Sprint is the most dependable 3G network. My girlfriend has VZW, and we have comparable service in most areas. Our service is pretty much identical. Where she roams, I roam, where she's got great service, I have great service.

I live in a rural area, and I go to school in an urban city. Either place, my service is consistently good.

I can't say the same for AT&T, which my dad has. The iPhone on AT&T has the worst service of any of ours, VZW, Sprint, or anyone else. I convinced him to switch his Nextel to Sprint and he's been nothing but pleased with the service. He still has the AT&T phone but it's a matter of time before that is canceled.
    I would have expected you to roam where she is on VZW and her to roam where you are on Sprint.
    11-29-09 10:41 PM
    First AT&T now Sprint...seems like Verizon wants everyone to bow down or out.
    Just about every company in the world wants their competition to bow down but preferably bow out.
    11-29-09 10:44 PM
    I am also saying that you question others about using what they claim someone told them about lack of coverage, etc. yet you use the same type of evidence in your statement.
    No, I'm using what I have witnessed with my own two eyes and my personal experience.

We'll just agree to disagree.
    11-30-09 01:03 AM
    each provider has their highs and lows... Period. There's nothing else to it. All these comparisons, arguments, and threads about it are pretty pointless.
    thank you!
    11-30-09 09:25 PM
    12-01-09 07:31 PM
    Interesting read. However, you can't escape the facts that: 1) VZW has filed not legal action against AT&T, unlike AT&T's ill-advised litigation against VZW; 2) All VZW has done is file a complaint with the advertising division of the BBB. The BBB would not have formally recommended that Sprint cease the use of its 3G tagline without some proof from VZW that Sprint's claim lacked merit. In fact, BBB relied on Nielsen's Mobile survey that supported VZW's claim that Sprint was overreaching with their tagline. Sprint is, of course, appealing.

I did a BBB search of both Sprint Nextel and VZW. What stood out to me was that in going to United States and Canada BBB Consumer and Business Reviews, Reports, Ratings, Complaints and Accredited Business Listings and searching for Verizon Wireless generated a series of listings, but the first listing is for the NJ HQ, which is listed as a BBB accredited business. As such they get a rating from A to F. VZW's rating, for the period of 1984 to present, is a B. There is record of about 16K complaints during the past 36 months on a variety of issues. Of those 16K, about 15,900 have been either "resolved" or "administratively closed." 16K isn't a lot of complaints considering that, as of 3Q2008 they reported 83.7 million customers.

A BBB search on Sprint Nextel revealed starkly different results. As a side note Sprint Nextel Corporation reports a little less than 50 million subscribers (with 500K subscribers lost YTD in 2009.) Specifically, searching "Sprint", "Sprint Nextel", "Sprint Nextel Corporation" (which is their legal entity's name), yielded no results of any accredited business by any of those names in Overland Park, Kansas (their reported HQ.) I've spent about 20 minutes trying to find an accredited listing for Sprint and have failed. Maybe someone else will succeed... Both companies have had regulatory actions filed against them, coincidentally both most recently in 2007. All complaints resulted in settlements with the carriers paying modest fines $1-2M.

Point is this: none of these guys are angels. All mega-corporations routinely find themselves embroiled in regulatory and/or legal actions from time to time. They have deep pockets (even struggling Sprint managed to eek out over $8B in revenue 3Q2009). Plaintiffs attorneys target deep pockets. No surprise.

At the end of the day each of us, as consumers, should step up and do our own independent research before making purchases. Relying on a carrier's tagline, its popularity, its phone offerrings, its service quality (as measured by independent entities) all play a role. The unfortunate tendency to follow the crowd, take the easy way out, sign on the dotted line, then ***** when you don't get what you think you're "owed" seems to be a tendency that's becoming ingrained in our culture. That's pretty sad. Perform your own due diligence, read contracts, and *take responsibility* and you'll usually be pleasantly surprised with the results - regardless of (in this case) whether you sign on with Sprint, VZW, AT&T, USC, etc.
    12-01-09 08:26 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD