ha, blah blah blah when verizon charges you overages and terminates your contract. They would be well within their rights to do so as it violates the TOS. Mobile Broadband is limited to 5GB and tethering through VZAccess Manager also falls under the 5GB limit. Third Party tethering apps like Tether or PDAnet are also violates your TOS. It's amazing at how many people don't read what they sign. I don't know how much verizon checks on it but if you play with fire, you're bound to get burned.

Also, speed tests run on blackberry connections are notoriously inaccurate as that pretty much measures the speed between the speed test servers and the Rim servers. A lot of people brag about 4-7Mbps on speed test with a blackberry. Those speeds aren't even possible on the Verizons EVDO network.
    Last edited by PJnc284; 01-26-10 at 01:07 PM.
    01-26-10 01:05 PM
    well, again I ask, has this happened to anyone yet? has vzw charged anyone for tethering and terminated the contract?
    01-26-10 04:47 PM
    Mobile Broadband is limited to 5GB and tethering through VZAccess Manager also falls under the 5GB limit.
    You get 5 gb under each plan.

Also, speed tests run on blackberry connections are notoriously inaccurate as that pretty much measures the speed between the speed test servers and the Rim servers. A lot of people brag about 4-7Mbps on speed test with a blackberry. Those speeds aren't even possible on the Verizons EVDO network.
    That's incorrect for tethered connections through VZAM. Those connections do not go through the BlackBerry servers. It's known as a "direct TCP" connection in BlackBerry developer lingo. Its just your PC -> BlackBerry -> carrier (Verizon) -> speedtest server.

Applications (such as Opera Mini) running on the BlackBerry can also bypass the Rim servers and use "direct TCP".

OTOH, if you are testing your connection speed using the BlackBerry browser, then you are going through RIM's servers. That's one of the reasons that browsing is so slow on BlackBerries.
    Last edited by wpwoodjr; 01-26-10 at 09:48 PM.
    01-26-10 09:40 PM
    Oh and before you say "this has to do with Mobile Broadnband" keep in mind that Mobile Broadband Connect (tethering with VZAM) is the same thing and falls under the same guidelines. Although, there is no mention of Tether, it would fall under the catagory of "using the network"...but it is what it is.
    Tethering is specifically mentioned in those terms of service that you posted:
    Customers who do not have dedicated Mobile Broadband devices cannot tether other devices to laptops or personal computers for use as wireless modems unless they subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect.
    01-26-10 09:46 PM
    You get 5 gb under each plan.
    That's what I said or were you agreeing with me.

And wasn't aware that tethering took a different route. I played around with speedtest a few times with PDAnet and tetherberry on my storm and was getting 3Mbps+ and figured it was going the same way.

And I believe the TOS pertaining to blackberries and smartphones are under the VZemail feature on Terms and Conditions posted above also.
    Terms & Conditions
    01-26-10 09:59 PM
    Tethering is specifically mentioned in those terms of service that you posted:
    Customers who do not have dedicated Mobile Broadband devices cannot tether other devices to laptops or personal computers for use as wireless modems unless they subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect.
    What if the user dedicates the BB to "mobile broadband"? Some folks don't use the phone at all.
    01-26-10 10:46 PM
    I'm not an expert but I would think Verizon sells Tetherberry because you can legally tether your blackberry. It costs more monthly but it is legal. If someone is using tetherberry but not paying the extra monthly fee (and surpassing the 5gig limit) that is where Verizon has the problem.
    Dumb *** Verizon should Buy the Tetherberry App and resell it as there own and not charge for extra $30 a month for tethering
    01-27-10 01:44 AM
    I smell something fishy. No way a proxy service is the same speed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    It is the same speed basically. I have both right now and just tested it
    01-27-10 01:54 AM
    Thank you for your response. I appreciate it.

I am, however, still confused. I see in post #17 of this thread you had answered VZW does not sanction the tethering app (which I think is TetherBerry) sold through RIM's official website. Okay, I can work with that. RIM sells devices through many carriers and that doesn't mean that VZW has to approve of all of RIM's approved apps. But this one (Tether for Blackberry) is different.

It is sold through VZW's own website (or at least redirected by them to their app store, "...Powered by Handango"). How can VZW later penalize for the use of an app they appear to sell or otherwise condone themselves?

1st
    Its NOT sold through VZW website. That link that was posted is not verizon wireless but a look alike site..GEEZ

2nd even if verizon wireless did sell it, you would still need a tethering data plan of $30..Tether plan is to there your phone.. Tetherbery is used to connected your device to the internet. 2 different things
    [/B]
    Last edited by BigDawgOfThemAll; 01-27-10 at 02:02 AM.
    01-27-10 01:59 AM
    1st
    Its NOT sold through VZW website. That link that was posted is not verizon wireless but a look alike site..GEEZ[/B]
    Can you read? Do you not see wherein you quoted me it says (or at least redirected by them to their app store, "...Powered by Handango")? Verizon's own VZStart home screen, as previously mentioned, leads to the Handango Tether for Blackberry app. I don't care who sells it. The fact that Verizon themselves directs to that application when one clicks to "Get Apps" on Verizon's own home screen makes it confusing at best.

I agree it appears the app is not officially condoned by Verizon. But..... it's confusing why they even cause such confusion.

Geez...
    01-27-10 06:20 AM
    well, again I ask, has this happened to anyone yet? has vzw charged anyone for tethering and terminated the contract?
    I think before we get all argumentive about this subject, this question should be answered first

As for me, I don't know the answer. However, as a customer who has purchased the app through "approved" channels (BB appworld), I find it extremely contradictory for it to violate TOS agreements. Not to mention, as others have stated, it is also sold through VZW appstore powered by handango.

On another note, a company who wants your business has the responsibility in my view to make things clear and not play a gotcha game with its customers. But again, I guess its all arbitrary until the above is answered
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 01-27-10 at 07:15 AM.
    01-27-10 07:04 AM
    My point exactly. The inconsistency is... Confusing at best. As exemplified by my being told be Verizon customer service it was in fact allowed with no possibility of penalty. Plenty of confusion to go around. Not cool.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-27-10 06:31 PM
    If it is true that there is no penalty for using it, I wonder what the motivation is for spreading misinformation... especially to the CB community.

Still would like to hear if someone has experienced charges or canceled contracts due to tether
    01-27-10 10:19 PM
    I have never seen a customer with this charge, it's more of an urban legend it seems.
    01-27-10 10:34 PM
    And another curious thing is that this thing is still for sale by both websites like the one directed to by Verizon's VZStart home page on my Blackberry device and right here on CrackBerry. I mean, if Verizon can and does shut down service and charge $$$ in penalties to customers for using it, then they certainly know it exists. But yet it's still sold?

It's not all that easy to sell or make available things long term on widely known sites (and Verizon likely knows CrackBerry at least exists.... plus that pesky link from their own VZStart page) if the offended company doesn't want them to continue. Or at least not continue without a huge disclaimer like "DO NOT BUY OR USE FOR VERIZON USE!" boldly displayed on the respective purchase cart page. A simple draft from Verizon's legal team would seem to squash this down if they truly and unequivocally didn't want it to be used on their network.
    01-27-10 10:44 PM
    I think the confusion keeps peoples usage limited, which they want. Because even Verizon knows, its a slippery slope
    01-27-10 10:48 PM
    It's sure working. I'm still confused. I mean, enough to not wanna risk the $$$$$$$$$$$ bill I might incur if I did purchase and use this. I'm small potatoes and couldn't fight off their legal team if they did come after me.

I swear I wish I would'a recorded the conversations I had with two separate Verizon customer service agents when I called and asked about this specific product - and was specifically told both times it was OKAY to use without penalty or other additional cost. Talk about a get outta jail free card if ever it came to be needed. It's only the many times I've read here of the many inconsistencies uttered by different VZW customer service agencies (who you talk to and when) that keeps me confused even after those conversations. I mean, I'd like to use it, but not at a $$$$$ gamble. I don't need it that much.

And Tether's website doesn't help much either. I wish they would say "Have at it!" Instead, their site says something along the lines of: It will work with everyone - but check your TOS to make sure it's okay...
    01-27-10 11:00 PM
    It's sure working. I'm still confused. I mean, enough to not wanna risk the $$$$$$$$$$$ bill I might incur if I did purchase and use this. I'm small potatoes and couldn't fight off their legal team if they did come after me.

I swear I wish I would'a recorded the conversations I had with two separate Verizon customer service agents when I called and asked about this specific product - and was specifically told both times it was OKAY to use without penalty or other additional cost. Talk about a get outta jail free card if ever it came to be needed. It's only the many times I've read here of the many inconsistencies uttered by different VZW customer service agencies (who you talk to and when) that keeps me confused even after those conversations. I mean, I'd like to use it, but not at a $$$$$ gamble. I don't need it that much.

And Tether's website doesn't help much either. I wish they would say "Have at it!" Instead, their site says something along the lines of: It will work with everyone - but check your TOS to make sure it's okay...
    Heres what I would do if I were you. Get the rep you speak to to note your account that you are able to use tether without penalty. Hang up and call back in 5 minutes and ask the rep to read you the notes from the last rep to make sure it was writen correctly and that you are covered. If it is writen properly where it protects you, remember the time and day of the discussion and if you ever get a charge or get hassled, refer back to that documented conversation
    01-27-10 11:06 PM

DAMN! I wish that convo was me! i would had recorded it and been using tetherberry like there wasnt a tommorow!

If VZW ever said something i would had played dumb and see what they woiuld had do ne. I would had told them there own reps told me this. Then let them call me liar etc.... They whipped out the tape on there *** in court!
    01-28-10 03:11 AM
    I think the confusion keeps peoples usage limited, which they want. Because even Verizon knows, its a slippery slope
    I think it's misinformation people keep spreading. I mean really, they won't charge you for the overage AND terminate your contract! they would rather keep collecting money off your @$$!

this coupled with vzw's confusion amongst their own reps makes this whole situation F'd up. either way, I think you're safe to use tether. Especially, if you're paying your bills on time and not doing anything illegal with it, I'm sure if they were to charge you for it, you could use any of the above excuses and talk your way out of the charge.

but all this talk about back charging you for months in the past you've used it and terminating your contract is complete ludicrous and scare tactics from people who don't have first hand knowledge of the situation. so unless someone can say vzw has actually back charged them for using tether and terminated their contract, STFU!

sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but people come to the forums for information on such issues and people posting without actually knowing first hand causes confusion and they need to stop.
    01-28-10 01:52 PM
    You raise a valid point.
    I came across the IP Modem setup on my DTM the other night and I was able to connect and authenticate w/ out a tether feature.
    I checked my usage today and it tagged bba connect but at 0.00kb
    I talked to technical support just to see if they knew about the new icon on DTM for starts but just to see what they would say about tethering w/ out a plan.
    The guy said that he recommended having the plan, and he also said that verizon was aware that users tether using other methods and that most likely would NOT see overage charges.
    Honestly I'm too chicken to try it.
    01-28-10 02:02 PM
    I think it's misinformation people keep spreading. I mean really, they won't charge you for the overage AND terminate your contract! they would rather keep collecting money off your @$$!

this coupled with vzw's confusion amongst their own reps makes this whole situation F'd up. either way, I think you're safe to use tether. Especially, if you're paying your bills on time and not doing anything illegal with it, I'm sure if they were to charge you for it, you could use any of the above excuses and talk your way out of the charge.

but all this talk about back charging you for months in the past you've used it and terminating your contract is complete ludicrous and scare tactics from people who don't have first hand knowledge of the situation. so unless someone can say vzw has actually back charged them for using tether and terminated their contract, STFU!

sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but people come to the forums for information on such issues and people posting without actually knowing first hand causes confusion and they need to stop.
    I think you'll find most of them are wannabe reps and don't have a clue, but think they do.
    01-29-10 08:14 AM
    ha, blah blah blah when verizon charges you overages and terminates your contract. They would be well within their rights to do so as it violates the TOS. Mobile Broadband is limited to 5GB and tethering through VZAccess Manager also falls under the 5GB limit. Third Party tethering apps like Tether or PDAnet are also violates your TOS. It's amazing at how many people don't read what they sign. I don't know how much verizon checks on it but if you play with fire, you're bound to get burned.
    Yeah ok, well lets see, 11 months of using 7-10gb a month on tetherberry, I'd say they've had ample time to catch anything illegal.

Do you really think I'd get away with it for that long if it was illegal. Big Red's eyes and ears are everywhere.

It's amazing how many people think they're lawyers and can interpret the TOS

end of discussion
    01-29-10 08:21 AM
    I'd like to know exactly WHY there are currently THREE threads regarding the SAME thing...
    Cant someone DO something about it!?

and learn how to use search.

I believe we've come to a consensus that it is unknown exactly what will happen if you use tether/tetherberry or IP modem link.
    Everyone is too chicken to try it who hasnt yet.
    Those who do; dont get charged and even a rep cant get a straight answer from another rep regarding how it works...

Bottom line: Yes there are 3rd party tether apps. Reps are aware of it... most have never seen the adverse repercussions of using them personally and all accounts are all second hand. Until I see visual proof with a customer bill... I will have to say that its an urban myth. This opinion is coming from a rep... I'm going to stay neutral on this and agree; you SHOULD subscribe to tethering to be safe... but if you roll like madmax... go for it.
    Personally... MY OPINION... is vzam is a decent program and I like it... but now that IP modem link is avail; I will most likely use it.
    Free is the way to go...
    When they open up GPS to use then we'll know the answer I guess.
    01-29-10 08:26 AM
    It's not interpretation when it's clearly spelled out. I'm not saying that using a large amount of data is going to get you busted but if verizon does happen to be in a bad mood one day, you're screwed and have no legal leg to stand on. Moderation is key and just be smart about it.
    01-29-10 08:29 AM
81 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD