So if i have the Blackberry 29.99 plan and buy that $50 dollar app. Im allow to use it with my labtop whenever i want without buying another plan or am i wrong?

Thanks
    01-24-10 10:30 PM
    I'm not an expert but I would think Verizon sells Tetherberry because you can legally tether your blackberry. It costs more monthly but it is legal. If someone is using tetherberry but not paying the extra monthly fee (and surpassing the 5gig limit) that is where Verizon has the problem.
    I disagree. You don't need to spend $50 for an app that you can get for free from Verizon (VZAM). Nobody is going to do that, and VZW knows it. The only possible reason that someone would spend $50 for Tether is the reason that it was developed for; to circumvent the carrier's monthly tethering fees. Period.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-10 10:34 PM
    So if i have the Blackberry 29.99 plan and buy that $50 dollar app. Im allow to use it with my labtop whenever i want without buying another plan or am i wrong?

Thanks
    Technically according to Verizons interpretation, no.
    01-24-10 10:36 PM

Thanks

You don't need a 3rd party app to tether. If you are going to pay the $30/mo tethering fee, then use VZAM for free.

People use the $50 app, Tether, to circumvent the monthly fee. VZW doesn't allow this, but it works.

Last edited by TravellingFool; 01-24-10 at 10:41 PM.
    01-24-10 10:38 PM
    Wow, I just set up VZW Access Manager under Windows 7 with my new Storm 2 and it screams! I'm getting 2300 kbs down and 600 kbs up at Speed Test - dslreports.com

I went to Youtube and was able to stream hi-def (720p) video.

Amazing
    I love how this /\ started a bunch of complaining about Tether again.
    01-24-10 10:46 PM
    I love how this /\ started a bunch of complaining about Tether again.
    Yeah, talk about thread hijacking! But it brings up an interesting question - which is faster, VZAM or Tetherberry? Has anyone done a comparison?

Another question, does Tetherberry use the modem settings on Windows or do you have to install a Windows client to use it?
    01-24-10 11:23 PM
    VZAM is faster than tetherberry.
    01-24-10 11:26 PM
    VZAM is faster than tetherberry.
    Before I turned VZAM off in lieu of getting tetherberry I did this speedtest, 3 times for each of them and averaged them out. The averages were dead even. Then for 3 months there after I used 7-9 GB of data per month via tetherberry with no ill effects. (I was in the hospital that didn't provide an internet connection for 3 months.)
    01-25-10 12:58 AM
    Before I turned VZAM off in lieu of getting tetherberry I did this speedtest, 3 times for each of them and averaged them out. The averages were dead even. Then for 3 months there after I used 7-9 GB of data per month via tetherberry with no ill effects. (I was in the hospital that didn't provide an internet connection for 3 months.)
    I smell something fishy. No way a proxy service is the same speed.

01-25-10 02:06 AM
    I smell something fishy. No way a proxy service is the same speed.

Tether has a 7 day trial. Find out for yourself.
    01-25-10 06:30 AM
    Agreed, as I stated earlier in this post, I'm a truck driver and have used "tetherberry" since March of last year and nearly every month I've went above and beyond the 5gb limit of Verizons with no recourse or extra charges, now when I had VZW $30 tethering and I went over, they would decrease my bandwidth speed until the next month and then back to normal.

I also use it for streaming video from CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX, so I can keep up with my PrimeTime shows while over the road.
    01-25-10 06:49 AM
    Like I posted though, it doesn't use Verzons bandwidth, so they could have as many rules as they want, if it's not their bandwidth they have no say in the matter. For all they know I could be streaming Slacker or Pandora non-stop all day long.

The reason it's in Appworld is because their is nothing "illegal" about it, I'm paying 29.99 to Verizon for Unlimited Blackberry Data service, not unlimited Verizon bandwidth, that's why VZW offers their own tether service is because they cannot charge anymore than what your already paying for Blackberry data and they know that apps are out there that allow you to use that data instead of their bandwidth.

I mean if you think about it, "Tether/Tetherberry" wouldn't have such a big PUBLIC business if it wasn't legal, VZW and other carriers have lawyers that could find loopholes to shut them down if it was illegal.

Think of it in terms of "VOIP", that's been using your bandwidth off of your internet connection @ home and their nothing illegal about that. It's the same concept.

IMO it's not "illegal tethering" if I'm already paying for it.
    I don't disagree with you, but as I practical matter, I don't want to be in the position of having to defend myself if I use Tetherberry and VZ decides to pursue me.
    01-25-10 07:54 AM
    Yeah, talk about thread hijacking! But it brings up an interesting question - which is faster, VZAM or Tetherberry? Has anyone done a comparison?
    VZAM is quite a bit faster. There's no way Tetherberry can be faster or even as fast as VZAM. I've tried both just to see. In my case Tetherberry was less then half as fast as VZAM. I wouldn't take TB if I was paid.
    01-25-10 07:28 PM
    It's not just BlackBerry App World that sells Tether. It is for sale on Verizon's official mobile website, (start.vzw.com)

Tether - VZW App Store

This link can be found by going to VZStart (start.vzw.com) from your BB browser ,which is VZW's official mobile site, click on the green icon that says, "Get Apps," then click on "Get Apps for Fun & Work", click on "Best Sellers", then "Tether for Blackberry".

Tether is #2 on Verizon's best seller list. Since VZW not only endorses Tether but profits from it, to me this puts an end to the whole right/wrong debate.

Just my opinion.

Ever of the mind to get good service on the cheap, I called Verizon customer service and inquired about this. I spoke with a first level customer service agent, who in turn transferred me to a technical support (I think that was the department) agent, and both agents told me this service could be used. They each said that Verizon does not directly support the service and could not speak for any charges from Handango aside from the application purchase price, but that Verizon would consider its usage as simple BB data and would not charge nor limit its usage. Their comments were to the effect that it was simple data usage through an approved third party company and Verizon had no say in the matter.

I'm really asking for clarification from any Verizon employees on this. Um, does this seem correct? Can one in fact purchase a Verizon approved tether application that does not incur monthly service charges and data limitations? That goes against anything I've heard and read thus far.

Thank you.
    01-25-10 11:07 PM
    badhangover:

All I can say is "plausible deniability!"
    01-26-10 12:02 AM
    Ever of the mind to get good service on the cheap, I called Verizon customer service and inquired about this. I spoke with a first level customer service agent, who in turn transferred me to a technical support (I think that was the department) agent, and both agents told me this service could be used. They each said that Verizon does not directly support the service and could not speak for any charges from Handango aside from the application purchase price, but that Verizon would consider its usage as simple BB data and would not charge nor limit its usage. Their comments were to the effect that it was simple data usage through an approved third party company and Verizon had no say in the matter.

I'm really asking for clarification from any Verizon employees on this. Um, does this seem correct? Can one in fact purchase a Verizon approved tether application that does not incur monthly service charges and data limitations? That goes against anything I've heard and read thus far.

Thank you.
    That's not correct as it stands now you could get charged/disconnected.

01-26-10 02:33 AM
    So right now i pay for the unlimitd blackberry plan 29.99 i need for my storm/PDA so that includes VZAM tethering rite? So i can use my phone to connect whenver i want and there is no usage cap?
    Or on top of the blackberry data plan i need to pay extra to use phone to connct with labtop?
    Sorry im a newbie thanks.!
    01-26-10 02:33 AM
    Thank you for your response. I appreciate it.

I am, however, still confused. I see in post #17 of this thread you had answered VZW does not sanction the tethering app (which I think is TetherBerry) sold through RIM's official website. Okay, I can work with that. RIM sells devices through many carriers and that doesn't mean that VZW has to approve of all of RIM's approved apps. But this one (Tether for Blackberry) is different. It is sold through VZW's own website (or at least redirected by them to their app store, "...Powered by Handango"). How can VZW later penalize for the use of an app they appear to sell or otherwise condone themselves?
    01-26-10 02:58 AM

Considering it's NOT illegal, how so.

Documentation PLZ?

No matter what you people say, I am living proof it isn't how you say it is.
    And considering I've been using almost a year now, my average usage is between 5-9gb a month, sometimes more depending on the streaming of video and your gonna continue to buy that BS that you'll get charged.

BTW, forgot to mention that my father also uses this as his PRIMARY and ONLY ISP for the same length of time and I know he has used more data than me some months and still no extra charges.

So, I'm gonna leave it like this, everything the other poster stated about what VZ told them is the same that they told me and for a year that's been true. I'm not forcing anyone to believe me, unlike other statements in this thread, but all I can say is "It works for me and my father and that's all I care about".

If you don't wanna use it then don't, but don't tell others things that just aren't true and I know I'm not the only one using this.

To the poster who was questioning about buying, the reason VZW's not gonna condone the use of it's because they want you to BUY their tethering plan and pay more money a month, this is all that it's about, the fact the someone came up with a LEGAL way to use the data that your already paying for, is something that's stopping them from making thousands of dollars a month, the thing is they can't legally tell you that you can't use it because it's not illegal and they know it.

And just an FYI, don't totally rely on what someone on here who may or may not be a VZW employee says because you have no idea who they are, they could be someone on the bottom of the totem pole who thinks they know VZW's legal contracts inside and out. It's one thing to help people, but another to play like the CEO with all the answers.
    Last edited by JoelTruckerDude; 01-26-10 at 07:32 AM.
    01-26-10 07:27 AM
    So right now i pay for the unlimitd blackberry plan 29.99 i need for my storm/PDA so that includes VZAM tethering rite? So i can use my phone to connect whenver i want and there is no usage cap?
    Or on top of the blackberry data plan i need to pay extra to use phone to connct with labtop?
    Sorry im a newbie thanks.!
    I believe, OFFICIALLY, the BB data plan does NOT include any tethering. You need a separate plan for that.

Verizon reps - please correct me if I'm wrong.
    01-26-10 08:51 AM
    I agree with TruckerDude, has anyone that has actually gotten fined and can attest to it on here? otherwise everything seems to me that we can use tether just fine on vzw bb's....
    01-26-10 10:18 AM
    I agree with TruckerDude, has anyone that has actually gotten fined and can attest to it on here? otherwise everything seems to me that we can use tether just fine on vzw bb's....
    Here is the Terms and Conditions, I'm sure read them already but just a refresher. I bolded some important stuff for you.

Additional Plan Information
    Required Equipment
    NationalAccess or Mobile Broadband�capable device

Required Minimum Term, Activation Fees, and Early Termination Fee

�Month-to-month, one- or two-year contract term required per line
    �Activation Fee: $35 per line
    �Activation fees may vary or be waived for business customers that have a Major Account Agreement with Verizon Wireless.
    �Early Termination Fee: Up to $175, or up to $350 if you purchased an advanced device, per line for one- or two-year contract terms. Customers activating on month-to-month terms are not eligible for monthly access fee discounts.
    �In the Canadian Broadband and Canadian Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Areas, usage will be charged at a rate of $0.002 per KB or $2.05 per MB.
    �In the Mexican Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Area, usage will be charged at a rate of $0.005 per KB or $5.12 per MB.
    �In the Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Cayman Islands, China, Curacao, Dominican Republic, Guam, India, Israel, Jamaica, Japan, Netherland Antilles, Northern Mariana Islands, Palestinian Authority, Saipan, and South Korea, St. Maarten Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Areas, usage will be charged at a rate of $0.02 per KB or $20.48 per MB.
    You must add I-Dial to your account to roam in many destinations. To add I-Dial to your account, and for more information on Wireless Data Roaming internationally (800) 922-0204 or visit https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=XvxzxniB. Only select Rate and Coverage areas support EVDO.
    Taxes, Surcharges, and Fees

�Taxes, surcharges, and fees, such as E911 and gross receipt charges, vary by market and as of December 1, 2009, add between 5% and 37% to your monthly access fees and airtime charges.
    �Monthly Federal Universal Service Charge (varies quarterly based on FCC rate) is 14.1% on interstate and international telecom charges.
    �Monthly Regulatory Charge (subject to change) is up to 2� per line.
    �Monthly Administrative Charge (subject to change) is 6� per line.
    �The Federal Universal Service, Regulatory, and Administrative Charges are Verizon Wireless charges, not taxes. For more details on these charges, call (888) 684-1888.
    Important Customer Information
    For more information, refer to the Customer Agreement or speak with a Sales Representative. Service is subject to the Customer Agreement, which you should read before activating service. Plans not available in all areas. Credit approval required. Billing, shipping and end�user address must be within the Verizon Wireless licensed and service areas where the wireless phone number is issued.

Mobile Broadband / NationalAccess
    Subject to VZAccessSM Acceptable Use Policy, available at https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=FBMHP3Zd. To make sure you have coverage in newly expanding markets, from the VZAccess Manager, go into "Options" and click "Activation," while in the National Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Area every three months. This may alter your Rate and Coverage Area. You are responsible for maintaining virus protection when accessing service. NationalAccess/Mobile Broadband is for individual use only and is not for resale.
    Charges for Quick 2 Net� or dial�up calls will be based on the cell sites used and time of day at the telephone switching office that carries your call, which may be different from the time of day shown on your device. Rates do not apply to credit card or operator�assisted Quick 2 Net or dial�up calls, which may be required in certain areas. Usage rounded up to the next full minute. Charges start when you first press CONNECT or the call connects to a network on Quick 2 Net or dial�up calls. Time may end several seconds after you press DISCONNECT or the call otherwise disconnects. For Quick 2 Net or dial�up calls, we only bill for those calls that are answered (which includes Quick 2 Net or dial�up calls answered by machines). Quick 2 Net or dial�up calls to "toll�free" numbers are toll�free; you will be billed airtime.

Data Plans and Features: Permitted Uses. You can use our Data Plans and Features for accessing the Internet and for such uses as: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) e-mail;(iii) intranet access (including accessing corporate intranets, e-mail and individual productivity applications made available by your company);(iv) uploading, downloading and streaming of audio, video and games; and (v) voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP).

Data Plans and Features: Prohibited Uses. You may not use our Data Plans and Feature for illegal purposes or purposes that infringe upon others' intellectual property rights, or in a manner that interferes with other users' service, that violates trade and economic sanctions and prohibitions as promulgated by the Departments of Commerce, Treasury or any other U.S. government agency, that interferes with network's ability to fairly allocate capacity among users, or that otherwise degrades service quality for other users. Examples of prohibited usage include: (i)server devices or host computer applications that are broadcast to multiple servers or recipients such that they could enable "bots" or similar routines (as set forth in more detail (ii) below) or otherwise denigrate network capacity or functionality; (ii)"auto-responders," "cancel-bots," or similar automated or manual routines that generate amounts of net traffic that could disrupt net user groups or e-mail use by others; (iii) generating "spam" or unsolicited commercial or bulk e-mail (or activities that facilitate the dissemination of such e-mail);(iv) any activity that adversely affects the ability of other people or systems to use either Verizon Wireless' services or the Internet-based resources of others, including the generation of dissemination of viruses, malware, or "denial of service" attacks;(v) accessing or attempting to access without authority, the information, accounts or devices of others, or to penetrate, or attempt to penetrate, Verizon Wireless' or another entity's network or systems; or (vi) running software or other devices that maintain continuous active Internet connections when a computer's connection would otherwise be idle or any "keep alive" functions, unless they adhere to Verizon Wireless' requirements for such usage, which may be changed from time to time.Customers who do not have dedicated Mobile Broadband devices cannot tether other devices to laptops or personal computers for use as wireless modems unless they subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect.
    You may assess and monitor your own data usage during a particular billing period, including during the Return Period under your Worry Free Guarantee, by accessing My Verizon online, or by contacting Customer Service.
    Approximate Data Usage Examples: Basic information and examples showing the approximate data usage for several common Internet activities appear below.

The speed of the Verizon Wireless data network is measured in Kilobits (kb) per second. However, the amount of data transmitted over the Verizon Wireless data network is measured in Kilobytes (KB), Megabytes (MB) or Gigabytes (GB).
    Examples

Application
    Approximate Size

E-mail (1 text page without attachments)
    3 KB

Word Document (5 text pages)
    70 KB

Typical Web Page lookup1
    300 KB

Low Resolution Digital Photo
    500 KB

PowerPoint Presentation (20 pages text & light graphics)
    3 MB

Note: The above examples are just estimates, based on approximate size assumptions. Actual file sizes and user experiences will vary.
    1Graphically intense pages or pages with video can exceed 3MB.

The Data Plans or Features are for individual use only and you may not offer them for resale.

We further reserve the right to take measures to protect our network and other users from harm, compromised capacity or degradation in performance. These measures may impact your service, and we reserve the right to deny, modify or terminate service, with or without notice, to anyone we believe is using Data Plans or Features in a manner that adversely impacts our network.
    We may monitor your compliance, or other subscribers� compliance, with these terms and conditions
    , but we will not monitor the content of your communications except as otherwise expressly permitted or required by law. See https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=GiicvafC.
    Connecticut Customers: If you have any questions about your bill or concerns about your service, please call Customer Care at: (800) 922-0204 or dial *611 from your wireless phone. If you are a Connecticut customer and we cannot resolve your issue, you have the option of contacting the Department of Public Utility Control (DPUC): Online: www.state.ct.us/dpuc Phone: (866) 381-2355; Mail: Connecticut DPUC, 10 Franklin Square, New Britain, CT 06051.

Last Update 01/21/10
    01-26-10 11:06 AM
    You can view it here
    01-26-10 11:08 AM
    Oh and before you say "this has to do with Mobile Broadnband" keep in mind that Mobile Broadband Connect (tethering with VZAM) is the same thing and falls under the same guidelines. Although, there is no mention of Tether, it would fall under the catagory of "using the network"...but it is what it is.
    01-26-10 11:11 AM
    Blah, blah, blah, as stated b4 I've been using a year now and no problems, you people that are wondering whether to purchase, do what you want, it works for me and that's the only thing important to me.
    01-26-10 01:00 PM
81 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD