Wow, I just set up VZW Access Manager under Windows 7 with my new Storm 2 and it screams! I'm getting 2300 kbs down and 600 kbs up at Speed Test - dslreports.com

I went to Youtube and was able to stream hi-def (720p) video.

Amazing
    01-23-10 11:55 PM
    nice man......
    01-24-10 03:48 AM
    Just remember that with VZW you have a 5GB cap and continual streaming will burn thru that quite fast. When I had it, the most they did when I went over my limit was restrict the bandwidth to half.

I have long since switched to "TetherBerry" and have not had any problems, I drive truck and use it on my laptop for streaming shows from primetime tv and have went over 5GB many times without any problems.

Tetherberry uses the "unlimited" data from your blackberry instead of Verizons bandwidth, just like Slacker or Pandora, the best part is it's a one time purchase and you never pay a monthly fee.

They have a Free trial, check it out and see what you think, it sure saved me alot over the period of a year I haven't had to pay Verizon's monthly tether charge.
    01-24-10 07:08 AM
    Just remember that with VZW you have a 5GB cap and continual streaming will burn thru that quite fast. When I had it, the most they did when I went over my limit was restrict the bandwidth to half.

I have long since switched to "TetherBerry" and have not had any problems, I drive truck and use it on my laptop for streaming shows from primetime tv and have went over 5GB many times without any problems.

Tetherberry uses the "unlimited" data from your blackberry instead of Verizons bandwidth, just like Slacker or Pandora, the best part is it's a one time purchase and you never pay a monthly fee.

They have a Free trial, check it out and see what you think, it sure saved me alot over the period of a year I haven't had to pay Verizon's monthly tether charge.
    I hear its risky business to abuse tether. I use it spuratically but thats about it (just to be safe).

Although, it is pretty funny to have an app that tethers in RIMs official blackberry appworld, have it available on a device that is only available from a carrier that has a strict TOS rule against illegal tethering.

Is it just me or is something seriously wrong with that picture?

kind of reminds me of how Verizon blocked all apps "INCLUDING" RIMs own BB maps from accessing the aGPS that it was designed to access lol
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 01-24-10 at 07:34 AM.
    01-24-10 07:31 AM
    I hear its risky business to abuse tether. I use it spuratically but thats about it (just to be safe).

Although, it is pretty funny to have an app that tethers in RIMs official blackberry appworld, have it available on a device that is only available from a carrier that has a strict TOS rule against illegal tethering.

Like I posted though, it doesn't use Verzons bandwidth, so they could have as many rules as they want, if it's not their bandwidth they have no say in the matter. For all they know I could be streaming Slacker or Pandora non-stop all day long.

The reason it's in Appworld is because their is nothing "illegal" about it, I'm paying 29.99 to Verizon for Unlimited Blackberry Data service, not unlimited Verizon bandwidth, that's why VZW offers their own tether service is because they cannot charge anymore than what your already paying for Blackberry data and they know that apps are out there that allow you to use that data instead of their bandwidth.

I mean if you think about it, "Tether/Tetherberry" wouldn't have such a big PUBLIC business if it wasn't legal, VZW and other carriers have lawyers that could find loopholes to shut them down if it was illegal.

Think of it in terms of "VOIP", that's been using your bandwidth off of your internet connection @ home and their nothing illegal about that. It's the same concept.

IMO it's not "illegal tethering" if I'm already paying for it.
    Last edited by JoelTruckerDude; 01-24-10 at 07:54 AM.
    01-24-10 07:44 AM
    Like I posted though, it doesn't use Verzons bandwidth, so they could have as many rules as they want, if it's not their bandwidth they have no say in the matter. For all they know I could be streaming Slacker or Pandora non-stop all day long.

The reason it's in Appworld is because their is nothing "illegal" about it, I'm paying 29.99 to Verizon for Unlimited Blackberry Data service, not unlimited Verizon bandwidth, that's why VZW offers their own tether service is because they cannot charge anymore than what your already paying for Blackberry data and they know that apps are out there that allow you to use that data instead of their bandwidth.

I mean if you think about it, "Tether/Tetherberry" wouldn't have such a big PUBLIC business if it wasn't legal, VZW and other carriers have lawyers that could find loopholes to shut them down if it was illegal.

Think of it in terms of "VOIP", that's been using your bandwidth off of your internet connection @ home and their nothing illegal about that. It's the same concept.

I agree with you 100% there are just ppl out there that dont. And the ones that dont are usually employed by verizon (if you know what I mean). And at the end of the day, they are the ones that handle your bill. I've also heard the stories of tether users getting slammed when caught.

I think its still up for debate in the wireless community as a whole (basically, it isnt as black&white as we would hope it to be).
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 01-24-10 at 09:24 AM.
    01-24-10 09:11 AM

You make a good point Joel. I use tether(berry) also and love it. I can't ever get my VZAccess to work right so I just go with the tether.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-10 09:16 AM
    oh boy! They moved this one to the VZ forum! Now you've done did it!!!

TAKE COVER!!!
    01-24-10 09:19 AM
    oh boy! They moved this one to the VZ forum! Now you've done did it!!!

TAKE COVER!!!
    LMAO

Although I think it shoulda went to 3rd party apps IMO
    01-24-10 09:35 AM
    the mods were tryin to start a fire
    01-24-10 10:24 AM

It does use Verizons bandwidth just like Slacker & Pandora do. Just because it's in the app store doesn't mean it's sanctioned. Enjoy it now but if Verizon catches you they're going to backbill you for all the KBs you used and shut off your phone.
    01-24-10 11:10 AM
    weekend,

no fire or bicker... but what are your thoughts as an employee on the strange combination of tether being available in RIMs official appworld specifically for the storm 2, yet, the single only carrier, Verizon, has a strong stance against it causing a violation of service?

Contradiction here??? Entrapment of the customer??? Your thoughts...
    01-24-10 11:36 AM
    weekend,

no fire or bicker... but what are your thoughts as an employee on the strange combination of tether being available in RIMs official appworld specifically for the storm 2, yet, the single only carrier, Verizon, has a strong stance against it causing a violation of service?

Technically, VZW isn't the only carrier that offers a Storm2. Carriers with 9520 may have different tethering customer agreements. That's the only thing I can think of that rationalizes App World carrying it without carrier blowback.

01-24-10 12:15 PM
    It's not just BlackBerry App World that sells Tether. It is for sale on Verizon's official mobile website, (start.vzw.com)

Tether - VZW App Store

This link can be found by going to VZStart (start.vzw.com) from your BB browser ,which is VZW's official mobile site, click on the green icon that says, "Get Apps," then click on "Get Apps for Fun & Work", click on "Best Sellers", then "Tether for Blackberry".

Tether is #2 on Verizon's best seller list. Since VZW not only endorses Tether but profits from it, to me this puts an end to the whole right/wrong debate.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by TravellingFool; 01-24-10 at 12:24 PM.
    01-24-10 12:22 PM
    It's not just BlackBerry App World that sells Tether. It is for sale on Verizon's official mobile website, (start.vzw.com)

Tether - VZW App Store

This link can be found by going to VZStart (start.vzw.com) from your BB browser ,which is VZW's official mobile site, click on the green icon that says, "Get Apps," then click on "Get Apps for Fun & Work", click on "Best Sellers", then "Tether for Blackberry".

Tether is #2 on Verizon's best seller list. Since VZW not only endorses Tether but profits from it, to me this puts an end to the whole right/wrong debate.

Just my opinion.

Well put travel...
    01-24-10 12:40 PM

Tether - VZW App Store

Just my opinion.

Nice find, I agree this would put an end to the whole right/wrong debate.
    01-24-10 12:47 PM
    weekend,

TBH I find it conflicting because we're still getting told that if customers get caught using illegal tethering their services will be shut off/charged. I can more understand now why a customer that may not research it may inadvertenly get into some hot water.
    01-24-10 12:48 PM

kind of reminds me of how Verizon blocked all apps "INCLUDING" RIMs own BB maps from accessing the aGPS that it was designed to access lol
    Actually, even ODDER, perhaps, is the Verizon also offers Tether through their BB website. It is sold by handango but you get to it from the verizon bb's homepage. Now if that is not "entrapment" nothing is!!!!

But, again, cautious use is advised by many.........

(sorry, I see others have posted about the verizon offering of Tether)
    Last edited by F2; 01-24-10 at 05:43 PM.
    01-24-10 05:40 PM
    Actually, even ODDER, perhaps, is the Verizon also offers Tether through their BB website. It is sold by handango but you get to it from the verizon bb's homepage. Now if that is not "entrapment" nothing is!!!!

But, again, cautious use is advised by many.........
    Si se�or, and the links to prove it are posted 4 posts above yours.

And I agree with your entrapment comment. Entrapment with a touch of hypocrisy.

Last edited by TravellingFool; 01-24-10 at 06:02 PM.
    01-24-10 05:43 PM
    Most people misuse the term "Entrapment," but it seems to fit here.

Entrapment, legally, is basically convincing someone to commit a crime, that they would not of otherwise committed, under the pretense there will be no punishment for the crime, and then punishing them for committing it.

So by Verizon offering Tether on their site, it convinces a customer to commit a "crime" (violation of ToS), which they would not have otherwise committed (If VZW sells it, it has to be within the ToS), which makes them believe there would be no punishment for using the service.

But I agree with Weekend, I have read other people's stories here of $3,000 monthly bills and service cutoff after using Tether, so there is some discrepancy.

My question is, and this is really specifically for Weekend: If Tether uses VZW bandwidth, and so does Slacker and Pandora, then how does VZW, one, determine a customer is using one and not the other, and two, justify punishing using the same bandwidth for different purposes?

I drive a patrol car for ten or more hours a day, four days a week, and I stream Pandora the majority of that time. At what point does VZW say, "You are using too much of you UNLIMITED data alotment, and we think you are tethering. Please send us $3,000."
    01-24-10 06:03 PM
    Most people misuse the term "Entrapment," but it seems to fit here.

Entrapment, legally, is basically convincing someone to commit a crime, that they would not of otherwise committed, under the pretense there will be no punishment for the crime, and then punishing them for committing it.

So by Verizon offering Tether on their site, it convinces a customer to commit a "crime" (violation of ToS), which they would not have otherwise committed (If VZW sells it, it has to be within the ToS), which makes them believe there would be no punishment for using the service.

But I agree with Weekend, I have read other people's stories here of $3,000 monthly bills and service cutoff after using Tether, so there is some discrepancy.

My question is, and this is really specifically for Weekend: If Tether uses VZW bandwidth, and so does Slacker and Pandora, then how does VZW, one, determine a customer is using one and not the other, and two, justify punishing using the same bandwidth for different purposes?

I drive a patrol car for ten or more hours a day, four days a week, and I stream Pandora the majority of that time. At what point does VZW say, "You are using too much of you UNLIMITED data alotment, and we think you are tethering. Please send us $3,000."
    The data that tethering uses is different than the data that pandora uses. Tethering (specifically tetherberry) logs into the tetherberry servers (which have ip addresses known to Verizon Wireless) and then connects you to the internet. The data in our system has different markers which is why they can tell when you hit your 5gb cap on tethering but they know not to count your handset data towards it. It's why we don't charge megabytes for downloading backup assistant or sending pictures when in fact that it does use data to do those things.
    01-24-10 06:06 PM
    The data that tethering uses is different than the data that pandora uses. Tethering (specifically tetherberry) logs into the tetherberry servers (which have ip addresses known to Verizon Wireless) and then connects you to the internet. The data in our system has different markers which is why they can tell when you hit your 5gb cap on tethering but they know not to count your handset data towards it. It's why we don't charge megabytes for downloading backup assistant or sending pictures when in fact that it does use data to do those things.
    That makes perfect sense. Thank you.

Oh, and I love your sig. I agree with all the statements in it!
    Last edited by Mr. Orange 645; 01-24-10 at 06:22 PM.
    01-24-10 06:19 PM
    That makes perfect sense. Thank you.

Oh, and I love your sig. I agree with all the statements in it!
    No problem and yes it is a good quote. People could learn a thing or two from Thomas now a days and you said you were in a patrol car so I assume that means your LEO, well thanks for your service.
    01-24-10 06:55 PM
    No problem and yes it is a good quote. People could learn a thing or two from Thomas now a days and you said you were in a patrol car so I assume that means your LEO, well thanks for your service.

I am indeed. And thank you.

I wish Mr. Jefferson and some of the other founders would come back and knock some sense into people.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread....
    01-24-10 07:09 PM
    I'm not an expert but I would think Verizon sells Tetherberry because you can legally tether your blackberry. It costs more monthly but it is legal. If someone is using tetherberry but not paying the extra monthly fee (and surpassing the 5gig limit) that is where Verizon has the problem.
    01-24-10 07:27 PM
81 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD