My home is a "3G Deadzone" and I usually get terrible coverage while I am there. Because of this I recently purchased the verizon network extender for $250. It is a piece of junk. Now I have data coverage all over the house, but all phone calls are dropped instantly. I am just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Verizon is the devil.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-09 01:32 PM
    My home is a "3G Deadzone" and I usually get terrible coverage while I am there. Because of this I recently purchased the verizon network extender for $250. It is a piece of junk. Now I have data coverage all over the house, but all phone calls are dropped instantly. I am just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Verizon is the devil.

How is VZW the devil? lol.. just send it back and get a refund. Not VZW's fault that you live in a deadzone.

Have you tried calling tech support?
    09-01-09 01:34 PM
    Or maybe you didn't set it up properly. The network extender supports voice and messaging with 1X data capabilities. You also need to make sure the network extender is properly plugged into the router. You also need to make sure your internet connection is running properly. Lots of different things.

09-01-09 01:36 PM
    Calling tech support requires effort. Whining and calling vzw the devil is easier

09-01-09 01:41 PM
    I just can't understand why no one wants to help you.

09-01-09 02:12 PM
    The network extender I own works great. Sounds like a hardware malfunction or user error.

09-01-09 02:43 PM
    Or not enough Internet bandwidth - if you're dropping calls while accessing data on a computer, it sounds like you don't have enough data bandwidth to support both. Your router is giving priority to your computer instead of the femto.

It isn't VZW that is the devil - it is you sleeping through Elementary Networking 101.

09-01-09 03:25 PM

Is it a "3G Deadzone" or just a "Deadzone". If you're getting terrible voice coverage, the Network Extender (NE) does help. If you're getting terrible 3G data coverage, the NE does nothing. The NE only supports 1xRTT data speeds. There is no EVDO coverage with the NE.

While your blackberry may have full bars in vicinity of the NE, the full bars indicate strong signal of voice and 1xRTT only.

As far as your calls dropping, try a couple things:

1. Update your PRL (*22899)
    2. Add your number to your NE's preferred number list
    3. Make sure you have enough bandwidth upload speed, adjust your QoS settings on your router if you use other bandwidth heavy appliciations on your network, i.e. torrents, skype, etc.

Finally, as with any other Verizon device, you have 30 days to return if you don't like it.
    09-01-09 03:27 PM
    I also live in a shadow zone for 3 local VZW towers and inside calls are always dropped.
    I just installed the unit and it works GREAT! I now have 4 bars for the first time since I got my BB Storm with no dropped calls. HOWEVER, the one I am trying to install at work ( 2miles from my home)is having issues due to the network router and DHCP settings. Its NOT the extender. Check your internet for the compatibility requirements etc. I bet you find the problem there. Good luck.
    Last edited by 3POMS; 09-02-09 at 09:20 AM. Reason: spelling
    09-02-09 09:19 AM
    How is VZW the devil? lol.. just send it back and get a refund. Not VZW's fault that you live in a deadzone.

Have you tried calling tech support?
    technically it is VZWs fault. VZW should have the area covered. It is their due diligence to make it work. If you are a customer, you can call and complain, enough complains from enough people warrants an new tower. Or if you get a petition signed and submit it. I have seen it done before.

I have crappy coverage at home and was thinking of getting one of these. The pain it getting them to upgrade the network and fix the problems is alot, not something im down for.
    09-02-09 05:39 PM
    technically it is VZWs fault. VZW should have the area covered. It is their due diligence to make it work. If you are a customer, you can call and complain, enough complains from enough people warrants an new tower. Or if you get a petition signed and submit it. I have seen it done before.

I have crappy coverage at home and was thinking of getting one of these. The pain it getting them to upgrade the network and fix the problems is alot, not something im down for.
    Area licensing requirements say you're off-base. VZW has all of their area licenses covered. They cannot put more towers in than they are allowed per their license for the area, nor can they add facilities in areas where they have no licenses.

Find me a single utility, communications or otherwise, that covers the entire country - sorry, one doesn't exist.

Not even Dish Network or satellite mobile service offers coverage everywhere.

LTE service will come close.

09-02-09 05:53 PM
    I live in a deadzone near the local airport. I bought extender and I have not have any problem. It works so well, I dropped my landline. VZW tech support was wonderful helping me get it set up with my Mac. ATT DSL tech support was awefull in helping me with some network issues. It took me several days to get those fixed.

09-02-09 06:58 PM

Yes, because Americans are promised life, liberty, and 3G data coverage everywhere.

09-03-09 11:50 AM

No. My N.E. works like a charm and does the job it is supposed to do.
    09-03-09 12:35 PM
    VZW commercials always say they have coverage in "dead zones".
    09-03-09 10:53 PM
    Yes, because Americans are promised life, liberty, and 3G data coverage everywhere.
    But with what we've incrementally allowed the government to do over the last 20 years - especially now - we're about to lose the first two.

09-04-09 12:37 AM
    There is no such thing as 100% coverage for every square foot of the United States for any utility.
    09-05-09 01:27 PM
    There is no such thing as 100% coverage for every square foot of the United States for any utility.
    That's correct & no carrier claims it either.
    If there was coverage, it isn't a dead zone.

09-05-09 01:46 PM
    That's correct & no carrier claims it either.

If there was coverage, it isn't a dead zone.

I'm not splitting hairs, a dead zone is where coverage is spotty enough to be unreliable. I live in a dead zone, however I do get a bar or so. But before I bought the N.E. there were a lot of missed calls and call quality was sub-par. The network extender has been doing the job it claims to do.
    09-05-09 11:32 PM
    Help please......I get 1 to 0 bars in my house. When I do get a bar, it's EV. I KNOW it doesn't help data but if I get a NE should it not still be in EV at least one bar. I can't stand not being able to get apps and stuff.
    09-14-09 04:47 PM
    Help please......I get 1 to 0 bars in my house. When I do get a bar, it's EV. I KNOW it doesn't help data but if I get a NE should it not still be in EV at least one bar. I can't stand not being able to get apps and stuff.
    Net Extender deos not support EV at all. It does how ever suport 1X data and you can D/L apps and stuff.
    09-14-09 04:54 PM
    But very very very slowly

09-14-09 05:58 PM
    144 kbps isn't all that slow.

09-14-09 08:17 PM
    144 kbps isn't all that slow.

144 kbps is a burst or top speed for 1X, avgerage would be 60-80 kbps.
    09-14-09 08:33 PM
    hi. upgraded to the tour 9630 and found radio problems in my home i didn't have with my 8830. So I tried out the NE today at the suggestion of customer svc at a verizon store.

Some questions:

(1) I still see the signal bars or -dB numbers fluctuate even when I'm sitting still. Is this flucuation normal?

(2) I have seen my signals drop to approx 1X or lower (-110 or higher) when I was just 3 feet away from the NE. That call then dropped. A hiccup? Is that to be expected?

(3) Since I'm getting 5 bars most of the time in my home office, should I even bother with stringing up the external atenna? Would stringing the antenna or moving the unit higher/more central in the home be likely to improve the signal strength?

(4) Does anyone know if Verizon offers rebates on these NE's to customers under any circumstances?

Lot of questions there. thanks for any feedback,
    e
    Last edited by HuckleberryF; 11-13-09 at 11:32 PM.
    11-13-09 11:24 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD