I know this isn't BB related. I'm thinking about getting one of the netbooks on the $25 black friday promotion. My question is does anyone have any experience with these computers? Are they a quality PC that will last for the full 2 years of the contract on the terms? Also, 250MB for $40 a month doesn't sound like much bandwith. How much web surfing, downloading does that really cover? How big are most webpages I guess is what I'm asking. I wouldn't call myself a power user, but I think I might need more than 250MB.

Thanks,
    Nick
    11-25-09 11:16 AM
    If you use the built-in wifi on the netbooks where available for free, the 250MB plan should cover most users adequately.

That said, the deal on netbooks only applies to people who take on the 5GB plans.
    11-25-09 11:25 AM
    I am currently using the HP 311 and first off can I just say that this is my 2nd netbook. About a week ago I had to DOA (Dead on Arrival) mine because I opened it and the screen was completely white. But that was their older model and they ended up sending me their newest one. Can I just say that I freaking love this thing. It is so light weight and works perfectly for what I use it for. I however am not using VZW Mobil internet services I just use my Home Wifi or any Wifi for that matter. I had to open a new line for this so I just put an old VZW phone on this line and I pay $5 a month for it. (Employee Account) But I would recommend it for any average user. It is not meant for gaming and does not come with a cd rom but any usb external cd rom will work on it. Happy Holiday's All..
    11-25-09 11:58 AM
    While I was purchasing my new device yesterday, the sales rep attempted to convenience me to buy a netbook (multiple times with the assistance of the manager) but once I figured I would be spending over $1,000 a year on the modem plan; I'm just going to purchase a MacBook. There netbooks are very nice though! But it doesn't have a CD-ROM or any of that jazz.
    Last edited by californiablackberry; 11-25-09 at 12:07 PM.
    11-25-09 12:05 PM
    While I was purchasing my new device yesterday, the sales rep attempted to convenience me to buy a netbook (multiple times with the assistance of the manager) but once I figured I would be spending over $1,000 a year on the modem plan; I'm just going to purchase a MacBook. There netbooks are very nice though! But it doesn't have a CD-ROM or any of that jazz.
    FWIW I got it on 11/13 before the crazy etf went into effect. I can put a phone on that line or if I decide to pay the etf which there is a good chance I will unless I see something better on blk fri I may return it. I will still come out ahead. These things go for 399.00 full retail.
    After mail in I get it for 100 bucks. U can play a few games on it.
    So still seeing if it's worth it but it is nice having a ultra portable device.
    I also have a hard wired connection at home so keepin
    11-25-09 12:46 PM
    How much is the ETF on the Netbooks? What is the crazy ETF you speak of. I don't want to get hosed on the deal. I know they aren't $1400 which is approximately what you would be paying if you pay it out over the term, but you do get the wireless service as well which is worth something at least...
    11-25-09 01:32 PM
    How much is the ETF on the Netbooks? What is the crazy ETF you speak of. I don't want to get hosed on the deal. I know they aren't $1400 which is approximately what you would be paying if you pay it out over the term, but you do get the wireless service as well which is worth something at least...

You pay for a 2 year modem plan on the netbooks, like a cellular contract, if you want out you have to pay the new Early Termination Fee (ETF) which is now $350 but each month you keep on is minus 10 dollars.
    11-25-09 01:38 PM
    I dunno, maybe it's just me, but the idea of a "netbook" seems like a waste... especially with an additional monthly charge put on top of the equipment itself.
    11-25-09 04:36 PM
    I dunno, maybe it's just me, but the idea of a "netbook" seems like a waste... especially with an additional monthly charge put on top of the equipment itself.
    that's why you don't pay for the vzw mobil connect plan and you put another phone line on that line and pay $10 a month for it. Makes it so worth it. I got mine free with the Blackberry BOGO offer. They are still offering it free with any BB purchase right now as well. How can you possibly go wrong wit that.
    11-25-09 05:07 PM
    You pay for a 2 year modem plan on the netbooks, like a cellular contract, if you want out you have to pay the new Early Termination Fee (ETF) which is now $350 but each month you keep on is minus 10 dollars.
    See I got mine on Nov the 13th while it was 175.00
    So much for Fri the 13th
    11-25-09 05:42 PM
    That said, the deal on netbooks only applies to people who take on the 5GB plans.
    Where did you hear the deal will be only on the 5 G plan?

This is not correct.
    Last edited by Wireless Vet; 11-26-09 at 07:41 PM.
    11-25-09 07:27 PM
    The point is to have a device available to manage files and web browse without carrying a heavy, expensive notebook.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by bluerskyes; 12-15-09 at 03:28 AM.
    11-25-09 07:53 PM
    That's half the point. Remove as many moving parts as possible, use underclocked processor and RAM so not much is needed for cooling, and you have a purse-sized, solid state laptop. (Assuming you have Non-Volatile memory instead of a hard drive.)

There's definitely a market for those tiny things, but personally not my style. I once went to Walmart intending to buy a small but featured netbook with a multicore processor to play Aion (my desktop is a modest single core), and ended up with the cheaper full-sized laptop. Let's face it, it's a pain to lug around, but there's so much more room...
    11-25-09 09:55 PM
    that's why you don't pay for the vzw mobil connect plan and you put another phone line on that line and pay $10 a month for it. Makes it so worth it. I got mine free with the Blackberry BOGO offer. They are still offering it free with any BB purchase right now as well. How can you possibly go wrong wit that.
    How can you sign a 2 yr contract on the mobile data plan to get the netbook at the reduced price and then not use it?
    11-26-09 01:05 AM
    If you use the built-in wifi on the netbooks where available for free, the 250MB plan should cover most users adequately.

That's wrong. The $29 Netbook deal works on either data plan.
    11-27-09 04:58 PM
    If you don't mind giving Verizon an extra $60 a month for at least two years, it looks like a good deal. Otherwise, you could buy a $400 netbook from Amazon and actually come out ahead.
    11-27-09 08:34 PM
    How can you sign a 2 yr contract on the mobile data plan to get the netbook at the reduced price and then not use it?
    Because you are signing a 2yr contract for the line not the plan. You can change your Price Plan at anytime during your 2yr contract.
    12-12-09 05:28 PM
    Because you are signing a 2yr contract for the line not the plan. You can change your Price Plan at anytime during your 2yr contract.
    Pretty dang good idea!

12-13-09 08:33 AM
    Too bad I'm still on an alltel plan and pal phones cost $20 per month. It would be cheaper to just buy a netbook outright I guess�

12-13-09 04:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD