Your comment about out-shouting the GPS is why VZNAV is great. The new version works quite well with Bluetooth. The second comment about using the GPS where there is no signal is also valid. There clearly is a trade off. However, GPSs can be rented one doesn't have to buy one to use in a location where there is no signal.
    I think the thing we can emphasize is that each unit is a tradeoff of some kind or other. BB gps apps have updated maps automatically, whether Verizon Navigator or Garmin although folks should be aware that "updated" maps can still be a year or so out of date. Standalong units rely on maps on board the device and do not need data in remote area (like even the Cascades outside of Seattle or some southwest desert areas) but you will pay for map upgrades.

As for renting, I have not investigated it but with the unit I own I was able to prepare some of our itineraries or at least remote locations in advance. Finding and setting the airport hotel for the return trip some was already done before I left the States.

Yup - tradeoffs.

And folks remember, the gps is not perfect - about a month ago, 3 separate parties got lost in snowy mountains in Oregon following gps' that did not know those were not through-roads in Winter.
    02-24-10 09:55 PM
    I think the thing we can emphasize is that each unit is a tradeoff of some kind or other. BB gps apps have updated maps automatically, whether Verizon Navigator or Garmin although folks should be aware that "updated" maps can still be a year or so out of date. Standalong units rely on maps on board the device and do not need data in remote area (like even the Cascades outside of Seattle or some southwest desert areas) but you will pay for map upgrades.

As for renting, I have not investigated it but with the unit I own I was able to prepare some of our itineraries or at least remote locations in advance. Finding and setting the airport hotel for the return trip some was already done before I left the States.

Yup - tradeoffs.

And folks remember, the gps is not perfect - about a month ago, 3 separate parties got lost in snowy mountains in Oregon following gps' that did not know those were not through-roads in Winter.
    I have to tell you driving off the beaten path is not the sole province of the GPS. I remember getting plenty lost using triptiks and maps. The problem of the GPS is you trust it so your radar does not go off when you are being misguided. Using only maps I believe we are far more diligent about ensuring the roads we take are the correct ones.

As an aside: If I was planning a multiweek vacation to another country where cell phone service was unknown, I probably would buy a GPS also. But for 99% of my needs VZNAV does fine. If it comes down to that 1% I would definitely buy one.
    02-25-10 08:50 AM
    i do wish Garmin and VZ Nav were free! Or at least cheaper. We need more GPS apps so that there's more competition.

i've read on here that users NOT on VZW can use VZ Nav for free. i wonder if the same is true of AT&T and Spring Nav for VZW users...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I agree, Garmin and VZ Nav need to be free or cheaper and more GPS apps would heat things up a bit competition wise.

I did not know about non-VZW users getting VZ Nav for free, can anyone verify that? (Not for me, but for some people at work that are not on our Verizon plan.)
    02-26-10 09:50 AM
    i only recently heard of this. i read that since VZ Navigator doesn't use VZW servers they either cannot or choose not to fix the loophole.

You'll have to search for the how to, but here is an interesting thread with pictures of a T-Mobile user with VZ Navigator.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/voi...05/index2.html

02-28-10 06:12 AM
    i only recently heard of this. i read that since VZ Navigator doesn't use VZW servers they either cannot or choose not to fix the loophole.

You'll have to search for the how to, but here is an interesting thread with pictures of a T-Mobile user with VZ Navigator.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/voi...05/index2.html

wow, thats not good at all. I cant believe people on T-mobile can use VZ Nav for FREE! what the hel* is that about?
    02-28-10 08:11 AM
    wow, thats not good at all. I cant believe people on T-mobile can use VZ Nav for FREE! what the hel* is that about?
    I don't believe VZNAV doesn't use Verizon Servers, it won't work until you activate your accounts. I'm sure VZW will close that loophole at some "poynt" in time.
    02-28-10 09:04 AM
    i wish we could get it for free!

02-28-10 09:24 AM
    i wish we could get it for free!

lol yeah that would be nice, but I dont think Verizon would go for that Verizon should cut the cost in half though per month. I love VZ NAV, but 10 bucks a month is kinda steep, but I am paying for it to have the best GPS on the phone though
    02-28-10 11:44 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD