Like others stated I use google maps for directions. I never tried the verizon navigation but gmaps works fine for me plus it's free
    02-22-10 12:14 PM
    The GPS is fully unlocked on all VZW BlackBerry devices Storm 1 forward. VZ Navigator is probably the best GPS app available. Well worth the money! i haven't found a single decent audible turn by turn GPS that is free. Having a list of directions isn't very useful when driving.

Having a stand-alone GPS is a hassle for those of us that travel a lot. Packing them, moving from car to car along wih the holder and charger is a chore. Not to mention you have to pay for map updates.

i also wouldn't switch to Garmin Mobile or LifeInPocket, TeleNav etc. i've used different GPS apps and VZ Nav is the best so far. i'd like to try out Drioid's GPS though. However, i wouldn't leave BlackBerry for Andriod.

i have both Garmin Mobile and VZ Navigator. VZ Navigator is the better GPS app by far. Only used Garmin to compare.

Garmin doesn't display miles to destination, hours/minutes til arrival nor what road you're currently on. It show MPH which is useless. i have a speedometer in my car. This feature would be ok if i still have my VW Bus with a broken speedo...

Garmin displays time of arrival. That is useless unless i back into my phone menu and check the time. Notice on the GM screen it says i'll arrive at 4:17 PM. Ok, but how many days later? The arrival info GM is displaying isn't useful on multiday trips.

To navigate to an address within BlackBerry contacts, you have to go through a two step process.
    VZ Nav is integrated into BlackBerry contact list.

Within the list of Favorites on Garmin, there is no way to jump to a Favorite by pressing a letter. You have to scroll through the entire list. That's silly. With VZ Nav, you open favorites, hit S and Subways will show.

Garmin Mobile doesn't display next step while navigating.

People think Garmin is so much better to buy than VZ Nav because it's a one time fee. Well, it's $100 and stays with your phone. How many people keep their phone for 2-3 years? Not many. So essentially GM is $100/year and VZ Nav is $120.

Those that are impressed with the Garmin Mobile UI and features have obviously never tired VZ Nav or their carriers GPS app. It's cheesy at best.

Here is an example. Both are navigating to the same address from the same starting point. i just hit Navigate and find address from my contacts. GM took an extra step to get started FYI.

Garmin Mobile

VZ Navigator

BIG difference to me

Here's an example of the Favorites list from both apps.

Garmin Mobile

VZ Navigator

i tend to have a lot of favorites saved. So to scroll through the entire list on GM takes forever. They need to add a jump to feature.

It depends how often you use GPS Nav, and what features are important to you. Also, how long you keep your phone. i upgrade every year, so VZ Nav is $20 more a year. Well worth it.

There's a huge list of cons for Garmin Mobile. The only one i have for VZ Nav is subscription. But even that isn't really a con totally. Since i upgrade every year...or for those that only use GPS Nav a few weeks at a time for trips. You can subscribe to VZ Nav and cancel after two weeks, thus getting a pro-rated price. GM doesn't have that option.

Garmin Mobile Cons

Cons:
    *Does not display miles to destination
    *Does not display time to destination
    *Does not display current road
    *Doesn not display next step
    *Does not integrate with BlackBerry Calender
    *No way to repeat audible direction
    *Cannot share locations, addresses, directions
    *Does not offer detours around traffic
    *Cannot transfer to new device
    *No Jump To in Favorites
    *No Trip Summery Option
    *No Trip Preview (Plan Trip) option
    * Does not display GPS Coordinates
    *Must exit app to view Trip List

As the app is now i wouldn't pay more than $20 for it. If compared to BlackBerry Map, Google Maps or Poynt then i'd go for GM for the audible turn by turn feature. But not compared to any of the carriers GPS apps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-22-10 02:46 PM
    Then you either had warranty exchanges within 12 months or you just got lucky. Garmin Mobile license is not transferable and they make that clear in their terms.

I have used both and prefer the Garmin app. $99.00 is a lot of money but it is a one time fee and is less than you will pay for a year of VZ Nav. If you have used a Garmin GPS in the past you will love it because the interface is the same.

By the way, I am on my third BB. Storm 1, Tour, Storm 2 and Garmin has switched it for free every time.
    02-22-10 03:22 PM
    The GPS is fully unlocked on all VZW BlackBerry devices Storm 1 forward. VZ Navigator is probably the best GPS app available. Well worth the money! i haven't found a single decent audible turn by turn GPS that is free. Having a list of directions isn't very useful when driving.

Having a stand-alone GPS is a hassle for those of us that travel a lot. Packing them, moving from car to car along wih the holder and charger is a chore. Not to mention you have to pay for map updates.

i also wouldn't switch to Garmin Mobile or LifeInPocket, TeleNav etc. i've used different GPS apps and VZ Nav is the best so far. i'd like to try out Drioid's GPS though. However, i wouldn't leave BlackBerry for Andriod.

i have both Garmin Mobile and VZ Navigator. VZ Navigator is the better GPS app by far. Only used Garmin to compare.

As the app is now i wouldn't pay more than $20 for it. If compared to BlackBerry Map, Google Maps or Poynt then i'd go for GM for the audible turn by turn feature. But not compared to any of the carriers GPS apps.

Great post and comparison points, not to mention screen shots. I never tried the Garmin Mobile, but the stand alone units are very good and look/work very similar to the way VZ Nav did on my Tour before I canceled it.
    Last edited by mikeplus1; 02-23-10 at 09:06 AM.
    02-22-10 03:55 PM
    No GPS app is flawless. i've found VZ Navigator to be highly accurate though. When you are not on a road it does show you a map of where you are and how to get to a road.

VZ Nav has a Follow me option that works like your Microsoft software. i've never used what you have though. Sound interesting. Does it give audible directions? That's a really important feature. i wouldn't consider a GPS Navivagtion that didn't offer it.

i do use Google Maps, BlackBerry Maps and Poynt for written direction and POIs.

A friend of mine had a GPS puck for his 8830 and it worked great for him. Do you have to charge the puck?

02-23-10 06:06 AM
    I work in sales and use it all of the time. I have not
    tried Garman though.
    02-23-10 07:24 AM
    I work in sales and use it all of the time. I have not
    tried Garman though.
    I also use VZ Navigator which IS the best GPS out there for Blackberrys. You would be pretty dissapointed if you ever tried out Garmin. VZ Nav gets you A LOT more then Garmin could ever do as Chrisy pointed out in pictures and her article aout it
    Last edited by mjbesen310; 02-23-10 at 08:41 AM.
    02-23-10 07:52 AM
    What free audible turn by turn GPS do you use? i've been trying them all out and would like to compare.

02-23-10 08:12 AM
    I also use VZ Navigator which IS the best GPS out there for Blackberrys. You would be pretty dissapointed if you ever tried out Garmin. VZ Nav gets you A LOT more then Garmin could ever do as Crissy pointed out in pictures and his article aout it
    i know you didn't just call me dude!

02-23-10 08:13 AM
    i know you didn't just call me dude!

LMAO!! so sorry Chrisy! didn't realize I typed in your name wrong and said "His"! I know your not a dude, I know what you look like anyway
    02-23-10 08:40 AM
    I used vzw navigator once , but never again for the price its just not worth it,,, 2.00 a month maybe or a one time fee ,,but subcription naw too many free ones out there
    The free ones aren't worth the price for dependability. True VZNAV is fallible, but they all are and I've seen it first hand. My Tour has unlocked GPS and I don't need a puck. Google maps and BBERY maps are backup to VZNAV. I've tried LIP and it's a cool app, but VZNAV is better for it's primary focus: turn by turn directions.

To me it's worth the $9.99 for the smoothness and dependability of the application. While people limp along with some free apps and less expensive ones, VZNAV IMO is the best of crop, paid and free.

edit - when I travel with a human navigator in my vehicle (spouse, significant other etc.) turn by turn isn't really needed. Google, Microsoft or whatever maps that provide a list of directions will work. But the way I see it if one is alone, looking down at the phone for directions is an unnecessary risk.

Also, one of the cool enhancements to VZNAV is the ability to use the default audio device, which means it works over bluetooth.
    Last edited by i7guy; 02-23-10 at 09:38 AM.
    02-23-10 09:31 AM
    Agreed. Comparing GPS apps that do and do not offer audible turn by turn isn't level. i use Google Maps, BB Maps, and Poynt as a back up as well. But if i wanted just printed directions, i'd use Map Quest on a PC and actually print out the directions to keep with me on the seat beside me. That way i don't have to fuss with my phone while i am driving and concentrate on the BB screen to read the small print.

That's why audible turn by turn is the best! i am willing to try any audible turn by turn and evaluate it fairly. Paid apps or free.
    02-23-10 09:36 AM
    First off the one i use is just is dependable really more so since it works anywhere I am if on a road or in the woods so dont preach to me about stuff you dont know about , and for sure don't "Limp Along" with it

Second of all its not worth 9.99 to me if may be to you but its not to me.

Third all the GPS on the 8330 is only unlocked for bbmaps and vzw navigator.

Fourth of all I have just as much of a right to voice my opinion in this forum as you do even if we don't agree .
    no need to get an attitude with anyone... what a lot of us are saying is that VZ Nav IS the best GPS for Blackberrys. Just becuase you like yours, doesnt mean its the best one out there, which clearly is not. Its great you like yours, but accept there are better GPS's out like VZ Nav which is worth 10 bucks a month.
    02-23-10 10:46 AM
    First off the one i use is just is dependable really more so since it works anywhere I am if on a road or in the woods so dont preach to me about stuff you dont know about , and for sure don't "Limp Along" with it

Second of all its not worth 9.99 to me if may be to you but its not to me.

Third all the GPS on the 8330 is only unlocked for bbmaps and vzw navigator.

Fourth of all I have just as much of a right to voice my opinion in this forum as you do even if we don't agree .
    Which turn by turn voice application is that? We are discussing if VZNAV is worth the monthly fee, not which free list type applications are a good substitute for a voice activated turn by turn GPS application and why that might be so. Also if GPS is not unlocked then other apps such as; Amaze, LIP, Garmin etc cannot be run unless they have an agreement with VZW about PDE.

You can do whatever your want, but tooling down the freeway at 70 mph is not the ideal time for be examining a screen or printed piece of paper. If that is what you do I hope you don't wreck and take people with you.

Second, you are right it is worth the $9.99 to me.

Third, I understand GPS not unlocked on every device, which is why you have a puck and which is why I mentioned I have a tour.

Fourth, correct we are having a discussion.
    Last edited by i7guy; 02-23-10 at 11:11 AM.
    02-23-10 11:06 AM
    We're all just discussing the pros and cons of various GPS apps. Please don't take anything personally. Just a good discussion.

When i had the VZW 8330 i considered getting a GPS puck and using Garmin Mobile. One of the reason i switched to the 9630 is because of the unlocked GPS. There are many apps that utilize it and it's very important to me.

i really liked BlackBerry Maps on my 8330 too! Maps were fairly detailed, could look for POIs and send my location. It just didn't offer audible directions. i also used Google Maps on my 8330, though it only used cell tower location. Still neat though.

i'm glad VZW unlocks the GPS on their devices now. If they didn't, i'd have switched to AT&T. And i don't like their coverage! i switched TO VZW because they were the first to offer audible GPS! i've been using VZ Nav for 6+ years and it keeps getting better. Even when compared to others.

i'm more interested in finding good free audible GPS for the reason i, and others, have stated above. Back in the "day" (1997, ha) i drove all around the country using just maps and Map Quest directions. It got the job done and i'm happy i can read a map because of that experience. But it's not the safest thing to do when going 80MPH on I-10! Also, no recalulating of routes then. You had to stop at a gas station, get the map out on the hood of the wagon and figure out what the heck you did wrong! No searching for POIs while on the go either.

i do kinda miss those days!

02-23-10 11:11 AM
    i do wish Garmin and VZ Nav were free! Or at least cheaper. We need more GPS apps so that there's more competition.

i've read on here that users NOT on VZW can use VZ Nav for free. i wonder if the same is true of AT&T and Spring Nav for VZW users...

02-23-10 11:31 AM
    I wasn't getting an attitutude , I was having an conversation with Chrisy520 and she was cool about it even though we disagreed also . I never said mine was the best , I said it works anywhere I go outside like a compass.I dont need a turn by turn read to me as I drive, and I dont need to look at it as I drive , so thanks for the safety tip anyhoo.

LOL and glad you like the vz navigator (and works for you) and for i7guy but as I said its not for me so that why I won't recommend it as being good at a monthly 10 buck a month,when mine free app does everything I need to do for free .

And no I am not mad I am just stating my opinion as you guys are to I am not going to get mad I agree its a discussion , I agree everyone has different apps they like otherwise they would be just a few out there with all using

PS : yes Chrisy I do have to charge the puck it holds a good charge though about 12 hrs same as my phone does (of course phone is used more thoughout daybesides paired with puck though)

i7guy: no I said in an earlier post it doesn't have sound , turn by turn directions which I don't need anyway
    If you don't need turn by turn, how do you navigate when you drive? My question was do you have to take your eyes off the road to read the directions?
    02-23-10 12:06 PM
    I have had VZ nav ever since it came out. I love it No issues and it is always the most current. i WOULDN'T BE WITHOUT IT
    02-23-10 12:19 PM
    I used vzw navigator once , but never again for the price its just not worth it,,, 2.00 a month maybe or a one time fee ,,but subcription naw too many free ones out there
    I can kinda understand what you are saying , if you don't need it all that much or often then it is kinda expensive if its just Not being used much.
    02-23-10 12:41 PM
    I just look at before I go on my trip,say for example when I drive on a long road trip I can usually remember alot of the turns if I don't have a passenger,my job requires good memory .I do have to refresh from time to time on longer trips but that can be done after refueling and before back on the road so no my eyes are more likely to leave the road changing cd then anything and now since ipod is used more with car stereo that has kinda been elimated as well.,

For example driving to northern michigan from here you generally stay on I-77 to the ohio turnpike(I-80) then exit 59 off the turnpike towards ann arbor and up 23/I-75 towards Holton Lake/TC area and gas stops all between there about 5 gas stops depending on traffic and road construction along the way .

PS; for any detination I have never been to I always check it out on computer even when I had vzw navigator I did , I dont think I ever left on a trip without first checking out route on a pc when I was going to drive
    I see what you are saying, I do the same thing and also carry maps on long trips.

The reason I originally got VZNAV is that I was on a 1000 mile road trip, had mapquest maps and somewhere made a wrong turn. Didn't realize it for 10 miles, it was dark and desolate. Downloaded VZNaV had it up and running in five minutes and it charted a way back to civilization. Been with it ever since.
    02-23-10 02:42 PM
    When on the road, there is no substitute for my Garmin Nuvi. Even if I had a larger touch screen mobile device, the size of the Nuvi screen and the "day/night" feature makes the map more visible when behind the wheel. For me, the only need I've had for GPS on my mobile device has been as a pedestrian. When visiting an unfamiliar city, BBMaps has served me well when hoofing it and the lack of audible directions has not been an issue.
    02-24-10 08:19 AM
    I was going to cancel my vz nav subscription, but the day I was going to do that, they released 5.0 for it! Its just too much of a hassle for me to bluetooth pair my phone to my tom tom for traffic updates, and that even costs money.

I travel frequently for school, and the application has already paid for itself this month by using the Fuel Price feature. It knows what gas prices are within a 2 mile radius, very cool.

HOWEVER...

I just moved to chicago in december. Last week I was trying to find a car washing place that didnt charge 15 bucks. Well I used vz nav, searched for car wash. Low and behold a Simoniz was .5mi from me. Before driving there I called them, it was a chicago area code. I asked what their hours were, and they were open for another hour. I followed the turn by turn and ended up at a car wash place that was not simoniz. It was some privately owned one. I backed out and called again, and asked what street they were on. I said

"So you're in the actual city of chicago, right, not a suburb?"

"Chicago?! We're in PHOENIX, ARIZONA!!!"

OK WTF how the heck can they still have a chicago area code but be in Phoenix?!
    02-24-10 10:59 AM
    Lol...none of these GPS devices are perfect. And a long drive to save a few bucks on a car wash...

02-24-10 01:22 PM
    Lol...none of these GPS devices are perfect. And a long drive to save a few bucks on a car wash...

But he could have skipped the chamois step and let it quickly air dry!

Left my tomtom home on my recent trip to LA and use the Garmin on my tour - worked quite well when my sister was not out-shouting it to "turn that damn voice off!!!!"

But my tomtom was perfect in Europe this past summer when in the mountains of Austria and Italy. There was NO DATA and the tomtom was not bothered by that fact since the maps are in the gps and not floating in the ether. And while I'm sure a new road or two have been constructed since the Middle Ages, the older maps (hand drawn by Columbus) were more than adequate.

As the gentleman above said, no device is perfect.
    02-24-10 03:24 PM
    But he could have skipped the chamois step and let it quickly air dry!

Left my tomtom home on my recent trip to LA and use the Garmin on my tour - worked quite well when my sister was not out-shouting it to "turn that damn voice off!!!!"

But my tomtom was perfect in Europe this past summer when in the mountains of Austria and Italy. There was NO DATA and the tomtom was not bothered by that fact since the maps are in the gps and not floating in the ether. And while I'm sure a new road or two have been constructed since the Middle Ages, the older maps (hand drawn by Columbus) were more than adequate.

As the gentleman above said, no device is perfect.
    Your comment about out-shouting the GPS is why VZNAV is great. The new version works quite well with Bluetooth. The second comment about using the GPS where there is no signal is also valid. There clearly is a trade off. However, GPSs can be rented one doesn't have to buy one to use in a location where there is no signal.
    02-24-10 06:20 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD