I am going to switch to verizon soon and I really think I would use the Navigation a lot. I have read that it doesn't work well at all. How well does it function for the blackberry and is it worth the 9.99 a month?
    02-19-10 01:05 AM
    No, VZ Navigation isn't very efficient and not worth the $10 a month. I use Google Maps plus its free.
    02-19-10 01:08 AM
    i use Gmaps...its free,,
    02-19-10 01:35 AM
    I like vznav. I pay for it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-19-10 02:16 AM
    I would buy Garmins app first... Good + no monthly.

02-19-10 05:30 AM
    I use it when I need it, I just activate it, use it and then cancel it. If you call VZW they may give you a 30 day free run with it to try it out.
    02-19-10 06:15 AM
    I love VZ Navigator! I use it almost every day. Its the best GPS for any Blackberry and well worth the money. Garmin Mobile doesnt even come close in comparesion to VZ Nav, and with Garmin, if you change phones, you will have to pay again for Garmin mobile making garmin moble more expensive then VZ Nav.

I have never came acrosss a GPS thats better then VZ Nav.
    02-19-10 06:39 AM
    Dup

Last edited by i7guy; 02-19-10 at 07:02 AM.
    02-19-10 06:57 AM
    Do you want voice turn by turn? Do you want to carry around a GPS? DO you find yourself in dead zones needing directions?

There is a thread in the GPS forum comparing garmin and VZ NAV. I find VZ Nav worth paying for?

There is one other free app, life in pocket. It's very interesting, but not as polished as VZ NAV, and I wouldn't depend my life on the gps nav function..

02-19-10 07:01 AM
    I have used both and prefer the Garmin app. $99.00 is a lot of money but it is a one time fee and is less than you will pay for a year of VZ Nav. If you have used a Garmin GPS in the past you will love it because the interface is the same.

By the way, I am on my third BB. Storm 1, Tour, Storm 2 and Garmin has switched it for free every time.
    02-19-10 07:09 AM
    I like it, but I haven't tried the Garmin.

02-19-10 07:30 AM
    i have no idea why anybody would not like this thing..i love it and think its worth every penny i pay..it works perfect.in my opinon it works as good as any navigator
    02-19-10 07:39 AM
    10.00 per month is a rip.
    Sprint gives away Navigation.
    Garmin is $99 for life (they will switch your lic.)

I used Amaze.
    Using LifeInPocket. Not polished but it does work.

I refuse to pay Verizon $10 for navigation.
    02-19-10 11:22 AM
    Not worth the price in my eyes.
    02-19-10 11:28 AM
    vznavigator is turn by turn direction right? when i had the droid google maps did this, does it do it the same on the blackberry?
    02-19-10 11:34 AM
    vznavigator is turn by turn direction right? when i had the droid google maps did this, does it do it the same on the blackberry?
    yes VZ Nav is Turn by turn Voice
    02-19-10 12:46 PM
    I use vz navigator everyday and it works just as good as my roommate's tom tom and my dad's garmin... Tested it against both and got the same results each time... Vz nav did just as well without problems. Plus Verizon continually updates the GPS maps and you don't pay for road updates. Worth every penny.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    02-19-10 01:31 PM
    I think it works very well, and for Blackberries the charge is prorated, so if you only use it for a few days, you don't pay the full $9.99 (technically you do, but on the same bill you get a credit).

There's one small caveat I can think of with VZ Navigator.

If you sync your phone contacts with Gmail, you have to be careful about how the addresses are formatted -- iirc, VZ Nav expects the first three lines to be "Address 1", "Address 2", and "City". So, if you don't have two address lines in your Google contact (or have a blank line between address and city), VZ Nav won't be able to search from your contacts.
    02-19-10 05:30 PM
    Before I plunked down $140 for a real GPS I had the chance to use VZ NAV. I paid for the 24 hour use and it saved my **** because I was lost on some back roads in WV. However, I decided that $10 a month was too much when I could pay one time for my GPS from Radio Shack and not have to pay a monthly fee. If they ever give it away with your service it would be handy. Otherwise, I'm sticking with my Navman.
    02-20-10 10:23 AM
    VZ NAV works great, but $10/mo is a lot when you can now get a Garmin with turn by turn directions, spoken street names and lifetime traffic updates for the cost of one year of VZ NAV service. If you don't need it much, then the $2.99 per day fee for VZ NAV might be worth it.
    02-20-10 05:21 PM
    I had vznavigator and used it some what, you worked okay. But in my opinion it really was not worth 10 bucks a month.
    02-20-10 06:17 PM
    VZ NAV works great, but $10/mo is a lot when you can now get a Garmin with turn by turn directions, spoken street names and lifetime traffic updates for the cost of one year of VZ NAV service. If you don't need it much, then the $2.99 per day fee for VZ NAV might be worth it.
    As long as you don't mind carrying around two devices. It's worth the $10 bucks for free hardware upgrades, free map upgrades and always having a map with me should I need it. I work in an area that has a confusing street layout, about 5 times last year I was stopped and asked for directions. Some I knew, some I didn't. Those where I wasn't 100% I quickly pinpointed the directions through VZ Nav.
    02-21-10 01:55 PM
    As long as you don't mind carrying around two devices. It's worth the $10 bucks for free hardware upgrades, free map upgrades and always having a map with me should I need it. I work in an area that has a confusing street layout, about 5 times last year I was stopped and asked for directions. Some I knew, some I didn't. Those where I wasn't 100% I quickly pinpointed the directions through VZ Nav.
    Free hardware upgrades?

Anyway, I now use the free maps app on my Tour mostly, but did receive a Garmin for my b-day last year and cancelled VZ Nav. I use the Garmin while driving where I need the turn-by-turn directions with spoken street names and sometimes continue to talk on the phone at the same time.
    02-21-10 05:35 PM
    Is it worth it???

**** NO

I get free google maps on my Droid.

Also figure this out.

1 year = $120

New GPS units can be bought for $150-200

Its a pain in the *** when you are trying to go somewhere and you get a phone call while you are using your GPS as well.

I'd say if you plan to use GPS alot, then buy a standalone unit instead like a Garmin.
    02-22-10 08:45 AM
    Free hardware upgrades?

Anyway, I now use the free maps app on my Tour mostly, but did receive a Garmin for my b-day last year and cancelled VZ Nav. I use the Garmin while driving where I need the turn-by-turn directions with spoken street names and sometimes continue to talk on the phone at the same time.
    Well to VZNAV they are free, they cost me money every two years. If you figure you get a new nav device every two years, throw in map updates if they cost you the cost of $9.99/mo is a wash.
    02-22-10 10:37 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD