Ive had verizon for 6 yrs, and aparently we were bouncing between Verizon and an Altell tower. As they merged with Altell, verizon turned the Altell tower off. I had to return my Droid and go back to my BB as the Droid needs 3G to work properly. Now the BB sits dormat untill I drive 1.6 miles, (yes 1.6 miles) to the nearest tower. Verizon said they will let the 5 of us out of our contract due to the fact there's nothing they can do about it. I asked them what service provider has our ares now and they said NO ONE. Any one have any sugestions? Verizon should give us back our service.
    12-11-10 11:10 PM
    have you done a *228 update yet?
    Last edited by howarmat; 12-11-10 at 11:26 PM.
    12-11-10 11:17 PM
    have you done a #228 update yet?
    I do believe that it's *228.....not #.
    12-11-10 11:21 PM
    I do believe that it's *228.....not #.
    lol yes that is correct
    12-11-10 11:26 PM
    Im not sure where you...but if its somewhat near a city with coverage...then you have some options that I know about...

T-Mobile has UMA calling - which means if you have WiFi (which I assume you do at home) you have reception.

ATT - Usually hass great coverage, you may look into it, they also have something called MicroCell which is like a tiny little cell tower in your home.

For info on what you can do while staying with Verizon..well I cant give you an info on that since I really have very little experience with them and that was a few years back.

I would check into both! Hope that helps a bit!
    Last edited by shamoo711; 12-11-10 at 11:32 PM.
    12-11-10 11:28 PM
    I know how you feel having crap service at your house, believe me. Unfortunately, Verizon is the only service that works in my area (AT&T has great service near the city but outside of it, nothing compares to Verizon).

I haven't ordered this yet, but when I called to talk to a VZW rep about the poor quality of service where I lived and inquired about building a tower locally, they said that they would let their higher-ups know of the issue and hopefully get it resolved in the future, but in the meantime, they offered the new "Verizon Wireless Network Extender." From my understanding of the conversation, you connect the Network Extender to your high-speed internet and it allows you to connect your cell phones to it so they have great service while you are at home...

With that being said, it doesn't seem like VZW knows what they are talking about (which is sad to say, since I have had nothing but GREAT customer service from them)... I looked online at the specs for the Network Extender and the website says that it only does 1x service to enable text messaging and phone calls (which is fine, since I also have wifi for data) but the gentleman I spoke with said that it also allows up to three or four (I can't recall the exact number) phones to have 3G service.

The network extender is 250 bucks, which sucks, but atleast you'll be able to keep your VZW service. For me, VZW is the only option and I may have to splurge for this as a house-wide Christmas present. lol.

Hope this helps and gives you another option.
    12-11-10 11:51 PM
    As for *228, well lets just say we have worn those keys out. *228 has become a four letter word. We were also told we should drive to the nearest tower and do *228 there. They also offered us the home network extender at 1/2 the cost. We live on a farm so unable to get high speed internet and cable. We have Dishnetwork and WildBlue for internet. We just want VZ to give us back our service. As we speak 3 of our phones can't dial out and we get a error message when we dial *228. Verizon tech support said FCC said they couldn't aquire all Altell towers, so Vz elected not to use the tower our area uses. I'm so mad they took our great service away.
    12-12-10 02:45 PM
    Can you ask others in your area (I understand that it is rural so there might not be many) what carriers they are using and what kind of coverage they are getting?

Otherwise, the network extender offer might be your best option.
    12-12-10 03:34 PM
    damn that does suck. I agree that his pretty bad of VZW to do. You shouls be able to get out of all the contract you have like you mentioned and maybe try att, sprint or tmobile.
    12-12-10 03:36 PM
    Out of curiosity, where are you located frostdee?
    12-12-10 03:42 PM
    Wow thats crazy, must be pretty serious if Verizon will let you out of the contract cause they dont normally do that. I would see what your neighbors use if not Verizon and try a different carrier.
    12-12-10 04:01 PM
    Most everyone in this area use VZW as they were the ONLY provider that had service. We've tried Nextell, US Cellular, and Alltell. We live one mile from the outskirts of the Omaha NE area. Two miles from Bellevue NE, VZW tower, the Police/Fire station, City Hall, OFFUTT AFB, bla bla. Out of our 5 phones, two are smart, and pretty much go dormat on our farm. the other 3 simplear phones dont ring and go strieght to voice mail, and no texts either. We are in a very populated area. I'm so mad VZW took the service away that we've had for over 5 years. There are many,many times we get no service at all. I live 1.6 miles away from a fire station, and I hope I never have to call 911 due to a farm accident (as I had to a couple years back) when we're not near a landline. Now thats sad. They have offered us to get out of th contract and when I asked VZ tech support what provider should we use, they couldn't answer that, he said he didnt think there was anyone. That make sence because of the times nobodys phones work. They shouldn't have taken our service away. VZw needs to turn the alltell towers or whatever it takes to fix our service.
    12-12-10 08:37 PM
    But it is what it is. You need to get past the "I'm so mad VZW took the service away" stuff. It is not going to change. They have given you the options and you just need to decide what the best option is for you.
    12-12-10 08:55 PM
    Have you tried AT&T? Their coverage map shows decent coverage between Omaha and Bellevue.
    12-12-10 08:59 PM
    It is what it is ? uh no, Your not getting my point MM. US Cellular and a couple other providers were using that same tower. VZW has no options for us, they said just that. Ive learned AT&T has issues here too. VZW said our old phones will work the best and that hasn't happend either. There are those that do and those that don't. The squeaky wheel does get the grease, but it wont if the wheel is a doormat and uses, "it is what it is" as a solution to get out of work.
    12-12-10 09:50 PM
    No, I am totally getting your point.

You had great service with Alltel. After the merge due to the the FCC rules, Verizon turned off the Alltel tower that was closest to you and now you are not getting the service you once had. Now you are mad at Verizon. Verizon has offered to let you out of your contracts with no penalty due to this or has offered you a network extender and half price.

You instead want Verizon to turn that tower back on (which they are not going to do).

What exactly am I "not getting"?

You need to make a choice. Being "so mad" isn't going to fix or change anything.
    12-13-10 05:57 AM
    Wow. I'd call them back and ask for the Customer Loyalty department. Explain the situation and ask for the network extender at no charge.
    12-13-10 06:59 AM
    Any one have any sugestions? Verizon should give us back our service.
    Ok, take a deep breath. Relax. It's probably just a setting in your phone that tech support has overlooked. Some of the people in tech support aren't the brightest bulbs on the Christmas tree.

What is your price plan, PRL, and SID on your phone? Also provide the nearest cross streets/roads to your location.

Someone here may be able to help troubleshoot your issue.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-13-10 11:25 AM
    Alltel used a lot of sprint towers. I'd give sprint a call to see if that tower is theirs. If it is, a switch to sprint might resolve your issue. They didn't tear down the tower did they? So some carrier still offers service using that tower. Your goal should be to find out which carrier uses that tower. That will be your new carrier.

12-13-10 02:43 PM
    Alltel used a lot of sprint towers. I'd give sprint a call to see if that tower is theirs. If it is, a switch to sprint might resolve your issue. They didn't tear down the tower did they? So some carrier still offers service using that tower. Your goal should be to find out which carrier uses that tower. That will be your new carrier.

I doubt that the tower was "torn down" or taken offline. I think VZW changed the SID that was being used in his area which would make it appear that he has no service.

12-13-10 02:54 PM
    I doubt that the tower was "torn down" or taken offline. I think VZW changed the SID that was being used in his area which would make it appear that he has no service.

Reguardless of what vz did, he has no service. Its more than an appearance of no service. The op has said he has tried the 228 to no avail. Vz has not offered a hybrid prl. It seems that they no longer use that tower for what ever reason. The op needs to find out who does.

12-13-10 03:31 PM
    Reguardless of what vz did, he has no service. Its more than an appearance of no service. The op has said he has tried the 228 to no avail. Vz has not offered a hybrid prl. It seems that they no longer use that tower for what ever reason. The op needs to find out who does.

I know of a few people that were in similar situations.*228 didn't work for some of them either. Once we figured out what SID the network was using in their area we manually loaded the appropriate PRL. Everything was then back to normal.

12-13-10 03:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD