Has anyone else found out the hard way that Verizon is disabling the Wi-Fi capability on the 8330?

When I called V and asked they only said that they don't support that feature!!!

Really bad business IMHO. Guess they only want Internet Access thru their cellular system. Bummer.

Larry
    05-19-08 10:39 AM
    Has anyone else found out the hard way that Verizon is disabling the Wi-Fi capability on the 8330?

When I called V and asked they only said that they don't support that feature!!!

Really bad business IMHO. Guess they only want Internet Access thru their cellular system. Bummer.

Larry
    I don't think the 8330's are equipped with Wi-Fi. The only Curve series phone that I know of that has Wi-Fi is the T-Mobile version 8320.

It's not Verizon disabling it, it's not possible on the 8330.
    05-19-08 10:40 AM
    Not true. I have the 8330 from Alltel and it is Wi-Fi capable...it's quite good. Also the older 8310 has Wi-Fi capability. It's whether or not your carrier will provide the access.
    05-19-08 10:46 AM
    Not true. I have the 8330 from Alltel and it is Wi-Fi capable...it's quite good. Also the older 8310 has Wi-Fi capability. It's whether or not your carrier will provide the access.
    Really? I just checked Alltel's site, and it's not on there. You'd think that would be something they would advertise.

EDIT: I also don't see it on the 8310 on AT&T's site.
    Last edited by smaug; 05-19-08 at 10:59 AM.
    05-19-08 10:56 AM
    8330 does not have WiFi. Doesn't matter what carrier you have, the 8330 does not have WiFi built in. It's got GPS instead which VZW decided to lock down.
    05-19-08 11:11 AM
    8330 does not have WiFi. Doesn't matter what carrier you have, the 8330 does not have WiFi built in. It's got GPS instead which VZW decided to lock down.
    That's what I thought.
    05-19-08 11:45 AM
    Its not about verizon deciding to lcok down the wifi, it does not have the hardware.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-19-08 12:14 PM
    man why does verizon suck so bad!? Cripling all their devices..,

05-19-08 12:51 PM
    man why does verizon suck so bad!? Cripling all their devices..,

Please read above... it's NOT crippled.
    The 8330 doesn't have WiFi built into it.
    05-19-08 01:01 PM
    Nope... wrong on both points.
    No 8330 has WiFi... from any carrier.
    No 8310 has WiFi either.
    05-19-08 01:03 PM
    Just when I thought I had heard every excuse there is to hate verizon somebody comes up with something new. We should start a list of reasons why people hate verizon so much.

I'll go first:
    1. Because they suck
    05-19-08 02:00 PM
    I don't think any of the CDMA Curves have Wi-Fi.
    05-19-08 02:04 PM
    Just when I thought I had heard every excuse there is to hate verizon somebody comes up with something new. We should start a list of reasons why people hate verizon so much.

I'll go first:
    1. Because they suck
    Care to elaborate?
    05-19-08 03:29 PM
    Care to elaborate?
    He was being sarcastic because obviously people are now just making shi* up in terms of reasons.

I'll go second....

2) Because they crippled the ability to make calls on Blackberries.

05-19-08 05:49 PM
    I don't think any of the CDMA Curves have Wi-Fi.
    They don't.

The 8130 and 8330 with Bell are not WiFi. The 8120 and 8320 are.

Don't hate Verizon - you bought a phone that doesn't have WiFi.

EDIT

Reason 3) providing accurate information about a feature not on the phone. HOW DARE THEY!
    05-19-08 08:00 PM
    Well, they DID say the curve had a touch screen, but im not splitting hairs... lol..

Verizon Selling a Touchscreen Curve?! | CrackBerry.com
    05-19-08 08:31 PM
    As they have not actually banished WiFi, a more interesting thing to see is if they block WiFi on the Bold.

05-19-08 08:58 PM
    As they have not actually banished WiFi, a more interesting thing to see is if they block WiFi on the Bold.
    They'll have to get the Bold first, and that's still a while out. We'll see if the CDMA version even HAS wi-fi...
    05-19-08 09:02 PM
    I don't think VZW has much of a dislike for WiFi. The XV6800 has WiFi and works fine for everything you want to do with it. I think where they change a lot of the Blackberry capabilities comes inherently from having to get the loosers at Qualcomm to put a CDMA chipset in the BB to make it work on their network. I know it's not much of an excuse, but when you change from one chipset design to another, who's to say they don't yank everything else out? For example, the 9k now has an Intel proc in it... I don't currently see anything in Qualcomm's lineup that will even hold a light to the proc speed on the 9k, so unless there's an undocumented chipset I don't know about, it's going to be interesting to see what VZW does to get their 9k wanabe phone on CDMA. I'm going to be really happy once CDMA goes away when LTE comes out. That will push VZW back in the GSM/SIM type phones... should free things up a little. I hate to say it, but the more I read and research a lot of these CDMA device limitations, the more all things point to Qualcomm's tight asses.
    05-19-08 09:50 PM
    Not sure what the issue is with CDMA and Wi-Fi, but it doesn't appear that Wi-Fi is in the plans for the CDMA versions of the Bold.

See here: RIM BlackBerry Bold 9000 (AT&T) vs. RIM BlackBerry Bold 9000 (T-Mobile) vs. RIM BlackBerry Bold 9000 (Verizon Wireless) vs. RIM BlackBerry Bold 9000 (Sprint) - infoSync Reviews
    05-19-08 10:35 PM
    First of all the main poster wasn't talking about the curve, he was talking about the 8830, you know the World Edition, but it doesn't have Wi-Fi either. I like verizon, i guess, but the crippled GPS sucks, because GPS isn't supposed to have monthly fees, get a bluetooth puck i guess is what ill do.
    05-19-08 11:48 PM
    I think the thread should be retitled to "Crackberry banishes lmmohr for posting falsehoods".
    05-19-08 11:52 PM
    LOL @ "banished" in the title. Makes me think of wizards or something, hahaha.
    05-20-08 12:37 AM
    First of all the main poster wasn't talking about the curve, he was talking about the 8830, you know the World Edition, but it doesn't have Wi-Fi either. I like verizon, i guess, but the crippled GPS sucks, because GPS isn't supposed to have monthly fees, get a bluetooth puck i guess is what ill do.
    Get the freedom keychain 2000. That's what I have and its as small as a regular keyfob that you use to lock and unlock your car doors.
    05-20-08 08:01 AM
    You need to be better informed on the capabilities of your equipment. They didn't mislead you, you misinterpreted what they said based on your erroneous belief.

If a feature is important to you, then you best make sure the phone you get has that capability AND that the carrier has it as well. Let the buyer beware. Blaming a carrier doesn't show they are bad, only that you didn't do your homework before your purchase.
    05-20-08 08:19 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD