I am currently on at&t but seriously considering switching to verizon for the storm 2.
    my question is how do you activate an unlocked phone for verizon; on at&t i simply put my sim card in?
    Thanks for the help.
    10-03-09 07:42 PM
    Different networks, GSM to CDMA, Bold won't work. Even if its unlocked.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-09 07:58 PM
    i know they r different networks. if i switch to verizon and buy a phone off ebay (unlocked cdma) how would I activate it.
    I have never had a cdma phone or service, I have always been with at&t (GSM).
    10-03-09 08:11 PM
    I don't believe that Verizon lets you "bring your own" so that
    option is also probably not going to work.
    10-03-09 08:16 PM
    then how r verizon phones activated?
    10-03-09 08:17 PM
    i know they r different networks. if i switch to verizon and buy a phone off ebay (unlocked cdma) how would I activate it.
    I have never had a cdma phone or service, I have always been with at&t (GSM).
    You can have an unlocked CDMA phone but it's up to Verizon whether they
    want to activate the ESN for you or not.
    10-03-09 08:17 PM
    so they tell me what phone i can use and not use. That is lame!!
    10-03-09 08:20 PM
    so they tell me what phone i can use and not use. That is lame!!
    If they say they don't want you using a phone not branded by them then yes
    they have the right to. This is the downside to CDMA.
    10-03-09 08:22 PM
    thanks for the help. I think i will stay where I am for now.
    10-03-09 08:25 PM
    The other down side is that they charge an activation fee every time you want to activate a new phone. It use to drive me nuts, and now I love the fact that I can just plug the sim into the new phone and thats it.
    10-03-09 08:26 PM
    As long as its a verizon phone all u have to do to activate it is an esn change which u can actually do for free thru your my verizon online or by dialing *228 and selecting option 3. I swap my phones around all the time and never pay for it and if u do pay for it then sorry to say ur a sucker. If you buy for example a sprint phone it gets sent to texas for about 2 weeks to get it verizon approved before u can activate which is lame but wat can u do. As far as the main question of how to activate a phone cdma goes by the serial number on the device (esn) which u can change urself anytime and once the number is in the system u dial *228 and select optio 1 to activate ur phone that's bout it really.

10-04-09 08:33 AM
    buy phones branded verizon off of ebay, if that is your wish. CDMA carriers are all this way.
    10-04-09 08:39 AM
    The other down side is that they charge an activation fee every time you want to activate a new phone. It use to drive me nuts, and now I love the fact that I can just plug the sim into the new phone and thats it.
    I haven't been charged an activation fee in 10 years with somewhere around 25 different phones on my lines.
    10-04-09 08:40 AM
    As long as its a verizon phone all u have to do to activate it is an esn change which u can actually do for free thru your my verizon online or by dialing *228 and selecting option 3. I swap my phones around all the time and never pay for it and if u do pay for it then sorry to say ur a sucker. If you buy for example a sprint phone it gets sent to texas for about 2 weeks to get it verizon approved before u can activate which is lame but wat can u do. As far as the main question of how to activate a phone cdma goes by the serial number on the device (esn) which u can change urself anytime and once the number is in the system u dial *228 and select optio 1 to activate ur phone that's bout it really.

You forgot to mention that there's a limit to switching ESN's of up to 3 times
    during a billing cycle.
    10-04-09 12:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD