I recently purchased an unlocked Verizon Blackberry 9550. Unfortunately, after I inserted my Roger's SIM card, only "edge" appeared. I DO have a Blackberry Data Plan and this is a brand new 4.0 SIM card.

I tinkered with it a bit and plugged my brothers Rogers Blackberry SIM card and his worked instantly.

Can someone help me put one and one together?

My SIM Card:
    Blackberry Bold

Brothers:
    Blackberry Pearl

Thank you!
    Edit/Delete Message
    11-19-09 03:02 AM
    The 9550 (a 3G CDMA network device) does not have the 3G radio for the Rogers network (which is 3G GSM).

So it will only work on 2G from rogers = Edge Service.

Good Phone (like the tour) for using with both telus/bell and rogers, one for it all.

The bold 9000 and 9700 are GSM phones and will work on Rogers, Bell/Telus (since bell and telus) now have a HSPA 3G = GSM service in Canada.
    Last edited by xamdam; 11-19-09 at 07:07 AM.
    11-19-09 07:04 AM
    The 9550 (a 3G CDMA network device) does not have the 3G radio for the Rogers network (which is 3G GSM).

So it will only work on 2G from rogers = Edge Service.

Good Phone (like the tour) for using with both telus/bell and rogers, one for it all.

The bold 9000 and 9700 are GSM phones and will work on Rogers, Bell/Telus (since bell and telus) now have a HSPA 3G = GSM service in Canada.
    While I can't help the OP - I think what they mean is that when the phone runs in edge (lowercase) you don't have any bb data - even though he has a data plan. They want it to run in EDGE (uppercase) - still 2g but with data.
    11-19-09 09:21 AM
    No no ... EDGE is edge.....

Its the fact that the two networks are not similar and will never be similar. The phone is incapable of running on rogers 3G network .... period.

The first Storm version (Due it having GSM capability World Wide) would do so, but not the storm 2.

The balckberry Tour ... not the New Tour (well i not sure yet), but the Fitrst Tour is a WorldWide GSM phone as well.

Remember the first storm and the tour need to be unlocked to be used on rogers network.
    Last edited by xamdam; 11-19-09 at 12:06 PM.
    11-19-09 12:03 PM
    ^ xamdam, I don't think you understand.

edge (lowercase) and EDGE (uppercase) are two different things. OP is not asking why his phone isn't on the 3G network. I think he understands his phone is incapable of using the Rogers 3G network.

When a blackberry is running on edge, the BIS is not active, meaning he is unable to use the blackberry specific features. When a blackberry is running on EDGE, BIS is active. OP wants to know why his brother's sim card works in the storm (aka running on EDGE) and why his own sim card doesn't (running on edge)

Also, the fact that his brother's Rogers sim card registered right away means his storm is unlocked.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-09 12:20 PM
    Ah my misunderstanding ..... then in this case i would call rogers and ask them or go back to the rogers store and request another sim card as it appears something is not right with it..... or ask rogers to make sure your actual sim card is provisoned properly.
    11-19-09 12:28 PM
    While I can't help the OP - I think what they mean is that when the phone runs in edge (lowercase) you don't have any bb data - even though he has a data plan. They want it to run in EDGE (uppercase) - still 2g but with data.
    ^ xamdam, I don't think you understand.

edge (lowercase) and EDGE (uppercase) are two different things. OP is not asking why his phone isn't on the 3G network. I think he understands his phone is incapable of using the Rogers 3G network.

When a blackberry is running on edge, the BIS is not active, meaning he is unable to use the blackberry specific features. When a blackberry is running on EDGE, BIS is active. OP wants to know why his brother's sim card works in the storm (aka running on EDGE) and why his own sim card doesn't (running on edge)

Also, the fact that his brother's Rogers sim card registered right away means his storm is unlocked.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You guys are spot on!

Any solutions?
    11-19-09 02:02 PM
    FIXED: After atleast 5 calls to Rogers.. One rep found a block on my account.
    11-19-09 02:36 PM
    Is the Verizon 9550 now working on Rogers? All BIS functions, phone & web browser?
    Thx.
    12-01-09 06:15 PM
    Yes, the 9550 can work just fine on Rogers... in EDGE. Boo.
    12-01-09 07:20 PM
    Oh OK; so the steps required are -
    1. Get a Rogers SIM and add BB data to the SIM.
    2. Log on to the Rogers BIS & set up the email.
    3. That's it?
    12-02-09 12:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD