So I went to the store twice to get my battery door situation fixed...no dice...twice I was told "thats just the way they are" can I sell you a cover so you dont notice?

Lived with that and then after my 30 days the trackball started to stop working left to right. Called Verizon because I am tired of the idiots at the store...well they are sending me the phone with no battery or back? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of my call since battery door is an issue? They dont seem to ship complete phones? They wont ship me a new phone because the supervisor says I must have damaged it for the battery door not to work. GIVE ME A FING BREAK!

Just want a phone that works and doesnt feel like a cheap $5 phone.

ok done venting
    08-28-09 01:35 PM
    If you are still within your 30 days then you could have gone into the store for a brand new replacement unless you sent out the rebate. In which case you get a certified like new replacement.
    08-28-09 01:38 PM
    My replacement phone that they just sent me had the battery cover with it. Maybe you will get lucky...
    08-28-09 01:39 PM
    True some come with the back to the phone and some don't, some come with a sticker that says certified like new across them as well.
    08-28-09 01:43 PM
    I am out of my 30 days now..should have pushed more while in the 30 days I know but they pissed me off. Anyway the rep has been doing his best to find all the peices but he says the powers that be want me to take it to a store to prove I didn't drop it....give me a break! LOL The amount of money I have spent with them this year in phones and such...really upsetting.
    08-28-09 01:46 PM
    When I got my refurbished replacement phone it came with a back... wasnt perfect but much better than my old one. Its just a phone without the battery and memory card.

In short: my replacement came shipped with the back cover
    08-28-09 01:47 PM
    Just tell them that you aren't going into a store... Have you gotten the replacement yet?
    08-28-09 01:48 PM
    And that's when you visit planetfeedback.com or email corporate and complain. A corporate rep will call you and usually decide in your favor.
    08-28-09 03:10 PM
    So I went to the store twice to get my battery door situation fixed...no dice...twice I was told "thats just the way they are" can I sell you a cover so you dont notice?

Lived with that and then after my 30 days the trackball started to stop working left to right. Called Verizon because I am tired of the idiots at the store...well they are sending me the phone with no battery or back? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of my call since battery door is an issue? They dont seem to ship complete phones? They wont ship me a new phone because the supervisor says I must have damaged it for the battery door not to work. GIVE ME A FING BREAK!

Just want a phone that works and doesnt feel like a cheap $5 phone.

ok done venting
    I got mine replaced and they sent me a whole new phone - box, packaging, battery, etc.
    08-28-09 03:13 PM
    And that's when you visit planetfeedback.com or email corporate and complain. A corporate rep will call you and usually decide in your favor.
    Here we go with this crap again...
    08-28-09 03:38 PM
    Planetfeedback.com is there for a reason and I think he has a legit reason to post there. I had a problem when people went there and posted about this site.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-09 04:36 PM
    Yes please do this. Write corporate because the rep followed the policy.

People wonder why reps on this site are rude.

08-28-09 04:47 PM
    Yes please do this. Write corporate because the rep followed the policy.

People wonder why reps on this site are rude.

Come on - Rim/Verizon must know about the loose battery doors as well as they know about the bad trackball.
    08-28-09 05:13 PM
    Come on - Rim/Verizon must know about the loose battery doors as well as they know about the bad trackball.
    Sprint does...
    08-28-09 05:21 PM
    They know about it but doing something about it is another matter. I was lucky(?) with the 2 tours I had. No battery door problem instead it was trackball problems.

It was apparent, in conversation, that they knew about both the battery door and trackball problems. They replaced the first phone for me but were not willing to replace the second. Therefore, I being unwilling to get stuck with a 2 year contract returned the phone within the 30 days. I'll wait for the Onyx 9700 from AT&T.
    08-28-09 05:36 PM
    My Tour has a loose battery door. Is it enough to get a CLNR?

Absolutely not - to me.

Tour did have a trackball issue, which I did DOA it for..
    08-28-09 05:40 PM
    Planetfeedback.com is there for a reason and I think he has a legit reason to post there. I had a problem when people went there and posted about this site.
    Yes - it does exist for a reason - to be a one-stop place to file complaints so people don't have to use the contact information on company Web sites. In exchange, PlanetFeedback now has your information to use for their purposes.

In this case, it would have to be directed to the manufacturer - RIM. They make the phones & do not make running hardware improvements or design changes.

Since they don't make changes, being upset with VZW, Sprint or whomever, is not reasonable. You are wanting to exchange a bad design for another bad design.

You can take that Swiss cheese back to the store all you want - until you choose cheddar or brie or havarti, that cheese will continue to have holes in it after one exchange or 100.

08-28-09 06:43 PM
    Yes - it does exist for a reason - to be a one-stop place to file complaints so people don't have to use the contact information on company Web sites. In exchange, PlanetFeedback now has your information to use for their purposes.

In this case, it would have to be directed to the manufacturer - RIM. They make the phones & do not make running hardware improvements or design changes.

Since they don't make changes, being upset with VZW, Sprint or whomever, is not reasonable. You are wanting to exchange a bad design for another bad design.

You can take that Swiss cheese back to the store all you want - until you choose cheddar or brie or havarti, that cheese will continue to have holes in it after one exchange or 100.

Well played.
    08-28-09 06:49 PM
    Together again...lol...

08-28-09 08:21 PM
    Well played.
    Thanks.

Together again...lol...
    Like there was ever any doubt - Weekendbum is a really good guy who recently was dragged into (and named for) something he didn't deserve. We just needed to remind each other that we're both on the same side.

Even the best of friends have occasional misunderstandings.

Now back on topic...

Hey folks - to expand on what I said before, and have said many times in these forums, it isn't that people are getting defective phones. Rather, they are experiencing defective designs. Some manufacturers make running changes & improvements, while others don't.

An example of running changes being made to phone hardware can be found in the very capable Palm Pre. Fixes to the battery area have been made, case plastic has been upgraded (with an unadvertised slight weight increase), as well as a few other changes. It is already a much improved device, without making people wait for the next model. Nokia & Samsung are also known for making running design changes/fixes in their models. With these manufacturers, a problem in a model may vanish in a month or two - a good reason to wait a bit before picking up a new model.

Other manufacturers, like LG, RIM & Moto tend to only implement changes by rolling out an entirely new model. With Moto & LG, there have been occasional running changes, but it isn't the norm. As far as I know, RIM has never made a running model change other than in software.

Without a running change in design, staying with the same model in an exchange process means you're subjecting yourself to exactly the same problems as the sample you're getting rid of. There is NOTHING any carrier can do about it. If you don't want screen & UI problems, don't go with a Storm - it is exactly the same today as it was last November, with the exception of the OS. We can see similarly troubling design issues with the Tour - screen ripples, incorrigible trackballs & fragile battery covers. The original Curve 8300 had problems with battery latches. - buy a brand new 8330 & you will have exactly the same latch as the older ones.

Yes, there are those who've not had problems, but then again, one of the guys who works for me has a pristine Yugo GV convertible with 100,000 miles that he's never had trouble with. So bad designs can sometimes work out - it's just that the odds are against you.

I get that you like the BlackBerry interface. I do, too. But with the exception of MAYBE the latest Nokia (I love Symbian), smartphones are not perfect. They have flaws & issues. What flaws & issues each has depends on the particular device. You have to weigh the plusses against the minuses. If the plusses are that good, decide if you can live with those minuses. If the negatives are so overpowering that you cannot enjoy (or even use) your chosen device, find another.

The last BlackBerry I could love was the 8330 - but I still have a box of battery latches & trackballs for them.

In North America, RIM is currently the 800 pound gorilla with about 51% of the market - whatever they put out, they sell. If it has problems, it is no big deal to them, because BlackBerry owners are so infatuated with the BlackBerry mystique that they just get another one - and blame the carriers for RIM-caused issues. This is an incredible position to be in, but one that breeds mediocrity. As for the rest of the world, they aren't so enamored with BlackBerry - WM is still the number one platform worldwide. That says a lot, considering America's financial prosperity & market-shaping buying power.

All in all, though - if you can't live with Tour's problems, or Storm's issues, don't switch between them - you're simply trading one set of troubles for another. It doesn't matter that you know of someone who has one that has been trouble-free, because it isn't a question of if it will have problems, but when.

And there isn't much that VZW or Sprint or AT&T or T-Mobile can do about it. It isn't their fault.

08-28-09 10:00 PM
    I get that you like the BlackBerry interface. I do, too. But with the exception of MAYBE the latest Nokia (I love Symbian), smartphones are not perfect.
    Ohhh if I could get a Nokia N900 I would forget Blackberry ever existed.
    08-28-09 11:07 PM
    Its good to know who posted that on there...
    08-28-09 11:33 PM
    I'm with you on that one man. I still have several Nokia smartphones from my gsm days and I'm having a hard time selling them even tho I can't use them.
    08-28-09 11:46 PM
    Oh, no kidding - Maemo 5 (Linux) promises to be the cat's meow for smartphones & should prove to the world that Nokia means business. Even after market losses, Nokia still sells two and a half times the number of phones RIM does. Their move into Linux should score a direct hit though RIM's heart. RIM's greatest weakness, recent quality woes aside, is their inability to move away from the outdated, inflexible, unscalable, limited & buggy BlackBerry OS.

With as much as I loved Curve & the BlackBerrys before it, I know that everything RIM makes, including the BIS server architecture and especially BES software, are intrinsically tied to the BlackBerry OS - which some analysts think RIM still hasn't amortized development costs on. OS5 will only be an evolution & not anything groundbreaking or even modernizing. The BlackBerry OS is about three generations behind Snow Leopard & UNIX.

Sorry, current BlackBerry fans - your loyalty doesn't change facts.

Part of the reason RIM has been selling is marketing. The other part is they dump the phones through VZW BOGOs & hope the rest of the world stands still.

I got the N900/Rover specs about a week ago & have been drooling ever since. 1GB system memory, 32GB add-on memory (included), expandable to 48GB, Carl Zeiss 5MP camera with dual flash, simultaneous IM, email & SMS viewing - side by side, cascaded or combined, slider form factor hybrid multi-touch screen with proximity detection & dual accelerometer. Oh, the ability to run apps from the memory card is included.

We'll see more in October - it very well may be the first LTE smartphone on the planet & is promised in a hybrid that should include CDMA.

Who needs iPhone when this beast rolls out?

Last edited by AZX2; 08-29-09 at 12:26 AM.
    08-29-09 12:24 AM
    I do miss my Nokias. That's all I used until I switched to CDMA.
    08-29-09 12:40 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD