Hi, I'm new here. Looking to switch/upgrade my VZ plan next week to a blackberry curve 8330.

I've heard stuff about this low cost data plan (about $30), but so far on the site have only found the cheapest thing I have found is $50. I was planning on getting the $99 plan (which is a bit of an increase from my current $45 a month).

Can someone point me to the right place on the site, or have prices just gone up seeing as this post is relatively old?

Thanks!
    Vanessa
    03-16-09 05:21 PM
    Vanessa, the BIS data plan is $29.99 & is all you'd need unless you need to connect to a work BES.

The site is a little cryptic until you actually place your order. I believe there are about 4 different varieties of packages.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-16-09 05:37 PM
    ooh ok, yeah I"m only going to need BIS. No need for BES. I also don't need an absurd amount of talk minutes, as EVERYONE I call is on the verizon network so bare minimum on that would be great for me.
    03-16-09 05:43 PM
    Probably looking at 450 $39.99 minutes..$29.99 data plan..Looking around $69.98/month without texting.
    Last edited by Weekendbum; 03-16-09 at 07:35 PM.
    03-16-09 06:01 PM
    Probably looking at 450 $39.99 minutes..$29.99 data plan..Looking around $59.99/month without texting.
    You mean $69.98 a month w/o texting right?
    03-16-09 06:52 PM
    /shrug yes.
    03-16-09 07:34 PM
    The best description of the Verizon tethering plans is found at the Verizon Wireless site under the Plans: Mobile Broadband Data Plans menus. I would provide the link but don't have the rights to do that yet. From the fine print, it appears that Verizon takes the limit seriously but it's hard to say how or if they actually enforce it.

Our only Internet access is through tethering my Storm to our laptops, Mac & Windows, and we did run close to the 5GB limit one month after downloading several TV shows from iTunes. We limited our usage for the rest of the month so did not test Verizon's enforcement of the cap.
    03-22-09 09:16 PM
    Once again the GB cap is soft- this means that if you go over you pay .25 per MB. NO enforcement, it just shows on your bill.

Yes this is for tethering only
    03-22-09 09:18 PM
    Link?

If you go to the Verizon Wireless website and click on BlackBerry� Nationwide Email & Messaging under Plans, you get to this page

Verizon Wireless

At the bottom of this page in a box titled Calling Plan Information, the information I posted is listed.
    03-22-09 09:55 PM
    Interestingly, when I did a search for her quotation of "Verizon Speak" I came up with it, word for word.

Cricket Wireless | Broadband Acceptable Use

Unfortunately, it was not a Verizon page. It is Cricket.

Further searching finds several references to the exact text on various sites being attributed to AT&T & VZW. But the text is NOT from either carrier, only Cricket.

Folks, it would bolster your credibility if you were to use info from the carrier in question & not hearsay posted on the fansites or techsites. To use hearsay tells me you're grasping at straws & your comments aren't worth much.

Please see my post above. And I do accept your apology.
    Last edited by Motorcycle Mama; 03-22-09 at 09:58 PM.
    03-22-09 09:56 PM
    my plan is only 15
    03-22-09 10:00 PM
    why is this so confusing? how much is the best cost for 450 minutes plus email and internet? right now i get charged for the emails coming in as txt charges so added a better txt plan too?

Currently paying:
    39.99 for 450 min voice
    29.99 for EMAIL & WEB FOR BLACKBERRY
    5.00 for 250 Text, Picture and Video Messages

I went way over text allowed with all the emails coming in so my first bill was like $120...

I had to disconnect my main email cause I was going over the 500 messages in a month. I changed txt plan for $5 more for
    Unlimited Mobile to Mobile Messaging PLUS 500 additional messages...

Any suggestion if I'm doing something wrong?
    Last edited by mantras; 03-24-09 at 02:15 PM.
    03-24-09 01:56 PM
    why is this so confusing? how much is the best cost for 450 minutes plus email and internet? right now i get charged for the emails coming in as txt charges so added a better txt plan too?

Currently paying:
    39.99 for 450 min voice
    29.99 for EMAIL & WEB FOR BLACKBERRY
    5.00 for 250 Text, Picture and Video Messages

I went way over text allowed with all the emails coming in so my first bill was like $120...

I had to disconnect my main email cause I was going over the 500 messages in a month. I changed txt plan for $5 more for
    Unlimited Mobile to Mobile Messaging PLUS 500 additional messages...

Any suggestion if I'm doing something wrong?
    Email should not be counting as text UNLESS you're giving out your text email address. If people are sending you messages at [email protected] or vzpix.com, you will get charged for text messages because it is going through the text system. Your BlackBerry BIS email (yourname)@vzw.blackberry.net is free.

03-24-09 03:18 PM
    Ok, so I just came across this thread, and i'm about to blow my lid!! My current plan with VZW is:

NATIONWIDE EMAIL & MESSAGING 450 MINS UNLIM BLACKBERRY $99.99 1107
    Monthly access charge: $99.99
    Monthly allowance minutes: 450 general
    Per minute rate after allowance: $0.45 peak , $0.45 off-peak

I pay an additional 15 a month for tethering/5MB limit (i use it for when I travel, and don't have access ti wifi..

I also have unlimited PIX/FLIX messaging, unlimited text messaging, unlimited N&W, blah blah blah..

I've had this plan for over a year now, on two different BB's. Are you telling me that I should be paying 29.99+49.99 (for the 450 minutes), so 79?

Can someone help me please? Before i call up VZW and start screaming?
    03-24-09 06:18 PM
    You are fine, The other way would be $60 (access) $30 (data) and with this plan your tethering would be $30. This is the nationwide select plan. The one you are looking at most likely is basic plan then you would add your SMS/MMS stuff and still have $30 for tethering
    03-24-09 06:46 PM
    You are fine, The other way would be $60 (access) $30 (data) and with this plan your tethering would be $30. This is the nationwide select plan. The one you are looking at most likely is basic plan then you would add your SMS/MMS stuff and still have $30 for tethering
    So I'm gonna stay put then... seems I am actually getting a better deal. I really don't mind paying about 110 a month (that's what it comes to with taxes and fees), since I use my BB as my primary phone. I did decrease my minutes, because I wasn't coming anywhere near what I was allotted. I'm probably better off with the unlim. texting and messaging, between work and my other friends ( i do go through sometimes about 200+ sms/mms a month).

Thank you SO much for your help!!
    03-24-09 06:49 PM
    Basic 450 plan: $39.99
    BlackBerry Data: $29.99
    Unlimited txt/pix: $20.00
    Tethering: $30.00
    Total: $119.98

As lastraid said, you are fine.

03-24-09 06:53 PM
    So I'm gonna stay put then... seems I am actually getting a better deal. I really don't mind paying about 110 a month (that's what it comes to with taxes and fees), since I use my BB as my primary phone. I did decrease my minutes, because I wasn't coming anywhere near what I was allotted. I'm probably better off with the unlim. texting and messaging, between work and my other friends ( i do go through sometimes about 200+ sms/mms a month).

Thank you SO much for your help!!
    Hey just to add my 2 cents in...you don't work for an employer that gets discounts with Verizon? because if you do you can fax in a pay stub and receive a percentage off your monthly bill, and also 25% off accessories etc...There are so many people with VZW that never even check to see if they get a discount. Just a suggestion
    03-24-09 10:36 PM
    Basic 450 plan: $39.99
    BlackBerry Data: $29.99
    Unlimited txt/pix: $20.00
    Tethering: $30.00
    Total: $119.98

As lastraid said, you are fine.

Thanks, TwinsX2Dad, I feel a lot better about it now! I freaked, mainly because VZW seems to have this great policy of NOT letting you know when a better calling plan for your phone comes along. Several times over the past 10 years, I've had to call them, just because I accidentally read something, or saw something on the site, etc. That's my only flaw with them.. they really should be more attentive of their customers that way!

Hey just to add my 2 cents in...you don't work for an employer that gets discounts with Verizon? because if you do you can fax in a pay stub and receive a percentage off your monthly bill, and also 25% off accessories etc...There are so many people with VZW that never even check to see if they get a discount. Just a suggestion
    Nah, even though my employer provides management with cell phones, they don't have any sort of discount like that... I wish (even though I know it's not a huge discount, I have friends that get it through their jobs).
    03-25-09 02:37 PM
    Nah, even though my employer provides management with cell phones, they don't have any sort of discount like that... I wish (even though I know it's not a huge discount, I have friends that get it through their jobs).
    If your employer has enough lines on VZW, you often get discounts automatically. If you have a work email, you can enter it at the VZW site, fill out the info & they will respond to you. If no work email, call them & ask. If you have to call them, they will need a copy of your ID or paystub. It is worth a shot.

03-25-09 03:43 PM
    If your employer has enough lines on VZW, you often get discounts automatically. If you have a work email, you can enter it at the VZW site, fill out the info & they will respond to you. If no work email, call them & ask. If you have to call them, they will need a copy of your ID or paystub. It is worth a shot.

Interesting. I will have to look into that. Would that apply even if its my own personal cell phone, and not one provided by the company?

03-25-09 06:01 PM
    Thanks, TwinsX2Dad, I feel a lot better about it now! I freaked, mainly because VZW seems to have this great policy of NOT letting you know when a better calling plan for your phone comes along. Several times over the past 10 years, I've had to call them, just because I accidentally read something, or saw something on the site, etc. That's my only flaw with them.. they really should be more attentive of their customers that way!
    So anytime they change a plan option they should notify 80+ million people in a differnet way other than

TV Commercial spots
    Internet adds everywhere
    radio spots
    billboards
    newspaper adds
    magazine adds
    Mass mailers

Dont take this the wrong way, but how else do you want them to notfiy that many people of changes?
    03-25-09 08:32 PM
    Interesting. I will have to look into that. Would that apply even if its my own personal cell phone, and not one provided by the company?

Yes it would apply...Its called ELEU or employee liable. This way you would still get a discount with your company without you being on a "corporate account" Verizon would tie in the company's discount to your personal account.
    03-25-09 11:23 PM
    Why is this the first time I knew I could get a discount through an employer, they never mention this with the 401k lol...
    03-25-09 11:54 PM
    So anytime they change a plan option they should notify 80+ million people in a differnet way other than

TV Commercial spots
    Internet adds everywhere
    radio spots
    billboards
    newspaper adds
    magazine adds
    Mass mailers

Dont take this the wrong way, but how else do you want them to notfiy that many people of changes?
    You missed bill inserts, email & texts. I've received them this way, too.

03-26-09 12:06 AM
166 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD