Please correct me if Im wrong, Im going to be upgrading to a BB Tour 9630 today from Verizon. And Im thinking of Unlocking it so I can use a GSM network outside of US. Im going to travel to Mexico for about two months, and my question is; would I be able to buy a pre-paid sim card over there and use it? Instead of using verizon due to the Roaming charges and what not.

The reason I ask is because a year ago I traveled to Mexico for about three weeks, and had to pay over $1,000.00 extra because of roaming charges. And dont want something similar to happen again.

Oh and I also plan to activate my current phone (LG enV) before I leave so my BB is not activated.

So please let me know if my plan will work, or what can I do so I dont use the Verizon service over there?
    01-14-10 12:54 PM
    You will have no problems using a pre paid sim as long as you get your phone unlcoked..
    01-14-10 02:05 PM
    01-14-10 02:10 PM
    Just unlock your phone and before you leave change the connections setting to GSM only so you will only connect via the prepaid card and not incur any roaming fees from Verizon.
    01-14-10 04:22 PM
    Please correct me if Im wrong, Im going to be upgrading to a BB Tour 9630 today from Verizon. And Im thinking of Unlocking it so I can use a GSM network outside of US. Im going to travel to Mexico for about two months, and my question is; would I be able to buy a pre-paid sim card over there and use it? Instead of using verizon due to the Roaming charges and what not.

The reason I ask is because a year ago I traveled to Mexico for about three weeks, and had to pay over $1,000.00 extra because of roaming charges. And dont want something similar to happen again.

Oh and I also plan to activate my current phone (LG enV) before I leave so my BB is not activated.

So please let me know if my plan will work, or what can I do so I dont use the Verizon service over there?
    Yes absolutely, will work. If you have an account with Verizon, you can even call them and ask them for the code free. Tell them you will be travelling and would like to use your local Mexico SIM card.

If they don't give you the code, let us know, we can help you unlock it.
    01-14-10 05:06 PM
    Hello! Requesting advice - assistance!

Bought a Blackberry Tour 9630 in Denver and had it unlocked for use in Mexico. The phone was initially from Verizon. Returned to Mexico, installed sim card - phone works fine for calls.

Now trying to add internet and email service, but TelCel (cellular provider) is telling my assistant that "the model you have they still do not have in Mexico, so can not activate the service because the configuration for the internet not is the same in this country". What? Purchased the Tour as it's marketed as the Worldwide Phone and it's what? Quad GSM...

Is the Tour 9630 configured differently than other Blackberrys in Mexico? Or are they just trying to push me into buying one directly from them for $700 USD??!?!?

TelCel also previously told me that ONLY Blackberry's or I-Phones work for internet - email on their system. Hence could not use my older (also unlocked) CDMA-GSM Motorola phone and had to get yet another NEW phone...

Thanks in advance;
    PDE
    01-14-10 08:30 PM
    Question... If I unlock my Tour that is on VZW, I can still use it on VZW but also when traveling, use a sim on another network. Then when i return, take out the sim and it works on vzw as it did normally? Is that how it works?

thanks
    01-14-10 09:39 PM
    Question... If I unlock my Tour that is on VZW, I can still use it on VZW but also when traveling, use a sim on another network. Then when i return, take out the sim and it works on vzw as it did normally? Is that how it works?

thanks
    Yes you can, basically when you want to use a SIM card you simply need to put it in the phone and go to Options/Mobile Network and change Technology to GSM/UMTS and select 2G.

When you get back to the USA and want to get back on Verizon you simply follow the steps again but switch it back to 1XEV.
    01-14-10 09:43 PM

Yeah it will work
    01-14-10 10:22 PM
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your help
    01-15-10 12:07 AM
    If i suspend my account with verizon will i still be able to use the tour with a prepaid sim card?
    01-15-10 01:43 PM
    If i suspend my account with verizon will i still be able to use the tour with a prepaid sim card?
    Yes you can

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-10 01:45 PM
    I was just about to open a new thread to ask similar questions.
    I will be going on a cruise (St Tomas,St. Maarten, Labadee Haiti, and San Juan Puerto Rico. Will I need to buy a pre paid sim card or should I use the cell service on the ship?
    01-15-10 06:05 PM
    I was just about to open a new thread to ask similar questions.
    I will be going on a cruise (St Tomas,St. Maarten, Labadee Haiti, and San Juan Puerto Rico. Will I need to buy a pre paid sim card or should I use the cell service on the ship?
    If you will be visiting multiple islands/country on a cruise, it might be better to use the ships service.

All depends if you need to have access to your emails or calls.
    01-15-10 06:23 PM
    If you will be visiting multiple islands/country on a cruise, it might be better to use the ships service.

All depends if you need to have access to your emails or calls.
    Mostly text,email and internet. Minimal voice

01-15-10 08:59 PM
    Mostly text,email and internet. Minimal voice

In that case maybe you call Verizon and ask them about International Roaming option for emails.
    01-15-10 09:21 PM
    In that case maybe you call Verizon and ask them about International Roaming option for emails.
    Thank you for your help. I have called Verizon and receive info from them...
    While on the ship it is $2.49 a minute for calls, .50 per sent text sent and .05 for received text. Sounds ok but to do this your phone (since it is a blackberry and always receives email) will be charged .20 per kilo bit of data received. Even if you shut it off and pull battery,when you turn it on it will automatically retrieve your Email
    01-15-10 09:36 PM
    Thank you for your help. I have called Verizon and receive info from them...
    While on the ship it is $2.49 a minute for calls, .50 per sent text sent and .05 for received text. Sounds ok but to do this your phone (since it is a blackberry and always receives email) will be charged .20 per kilo bit of data received. Even if you shut it off and pull battery,when you turn it on it will automatically retrieve your Email
    Yes that can get pretty expensive, better to check your emails from the computers on the ship

If you get a lot of emails and absolutely need to get them wherever you are, maybe smart to sign up for T-Mobile Blackberry Data Plan (no contract) and add the $19.99 Email International Roaming. When you get back you can just cancel

Or just leave the Blackberry in the room and enjoy your trip
    01-15-10 09:45 PM
    does the phone have to be activated on an account to get it unlocked? i have a 9630 as a spare phone and would like to get it unlocked, but when i called verizon, the rep said that i need to have the phone active on my account to unlock it.
    01-29-10 09:22 PM
    does the phone have to be activated on an account to get it unlocked? i have a 9630 as a spare phone and would like to get it unlocked, but when i called verizon, the rep said that i need to have the phone active on my account to unlock it.
    That's one of their requirements (to get the code for free). If you buy the code from one of us unlockers here then you can unlock it right away without it being active.
    01-29-10 09:24 PM
    nice! i was just on your site checking out the details. So i'm gussing i don't need to have a sim card in the phone to unlock? i haven't had a chance to purchase a pre-paid one yet to test with.
    01-29-10 09:37 PM
    nice! i was just on your site checking out the details. So i'm gussing i don't need to have a sim card in the phone to unlock? i haven't had a chance to purchase a pre-paid one yet to test with.
    You will need a SIM card in the 9630/9530/9550 to unlock the phone, but that SIM can be Inactive.
    01-30-10 09:54 AM
    ok, just purchased an unlock code from you guys. i was able to dig up one of my old cingular sim cards for now. thanks for the help!
    01-30-10 03:44 PM
    ok, just purchased an unlock code from you guys. i was able to dig up one of my old cingular sim cards for now. thanks for the help!
    You're very welcome. Let us know how the unlocking went.
    01-30-10 04:04 PM
    cool. i think it worked. entered the code, changed the network to GSM and now it says "insert sim." nice, now i can use it with a local sim when i travel. good stuff.
    01-30-10 04:19 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD