I have tried to use this phone as a modem and it prompts me to verizon screen. Do i have to pay to use it a modem?
    06-10-09 10:26 AM
    Yes. A tethering plan is required and is an additional $30 a month if you are on BIS.

Connect
    06-10-09 10:28 AM
    Sorry yes you have to pay for it.
    06-10-09 10:31 AM
    Check out TeatherBerry.com - one time fee for the app; don't have to pay Verizon's excessive charge. Not for transferring larger files, but great for email, web surfing. I also tried SharkModem but TeatherBerry is better.
    06-10-09 11:26 AM
    Check out TeatherBerry.com - one time fee for the app; don't have to pay Verizon's excessive charge. Not for transferring larger files, but great for email, web surfing. I also tried SharkModem but TeatherBerry is better.
    Oh yes - besides the extreme slowdown through the proxy, have you seen the people who were caught using Tetherberry & ended up with bills high enough to pay for years of tethering and suspended accounts?

Sure - breach the contract you signed. You will have no leg to stand on.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-10-09 12:07 PM
    DO NOT use Tetherberry.

Your increase in data usage will most likely become noticeable and WE WILL CATCH YOU.

It's not a threat. I just don't want to see you get stuck w/ a bill in the several hundreds to thousands of dollars. We have started taking a hard stance on issuing any kind of credits for these circumstances and as Twins said, you won't have a leg to stand on.

You want to tether, buy the service. Fairly or not, pay the $30. There was just one kid on this forum that got stuck w/ a bill using Tetherberry that would have been equivacable to almost 10 YEARS worth of paying $30 a month for our PAM service.

Better safe than sorry.

06-10-09 12:20 PM
    There was just one kid on this forum that got stuck w/ a bill using Tetherberry that would have been equivacable to almost 10 YEARS worth of paying $30 a month for our PAM service.
    He sure is a nice kid, too. Hard worker. But was once dumber than a rock about mobile service. Not anymore though.

There will always be those who think they can get away without paying for things. In my book, those people are thieves and they really are dumber than rocks.

06-10-09 01:40 PM
    Why can't VZW just cahrge a one time instead of a monthly fee sine I already pay for unlimited data.

06-11-09 11:27 AM
    VZW network system can detect tethering easily. Don't take the risk.
    Yes it can. It isn't worth the consequences. The risk is too great for a little bit of convenience and savings. You might think you're saving $30 but if you get a bill in the thousands of $$$, you will regret it.

06-11-09 06:06 PM
    Everyone keeps going back to the post with the kid being caught. I haven't seen to many posts other than that one. Kind of wonder if posts like that are posted as a scare tactic to keep people from trying to use the app.

06-13-09 01:29 AM
    Everyone keeps going back to the post with the kid being caught. I haven't seen to many posts other than that one. Kind of wonder if posts like that are posted as a scare tactic to keep people from trying to use the app.

Wonders what is the percentage of BB owners in the world vs the percentage that acutally are here and of that how many use tetherberry. Also, we heard it on the internet, therefore it has to be ture

If that post about the kid is true, there are other factors I am sure are involved that we do not know about.
    06-13-09 07:34 AM
    I thought I heard Tetherberry causes data usage charges that are through the roof that we dont credit for...
    I dont recommend using it because 1st as VZW techs we dont support it if you cant get online. 2nd is Im hearing that it DOES cause excessive charges for data. I checked with some collegues and this is true.
    06-13-09 10:30 AM
    have to pay for everything with verizon ... got to love it
    06-13-09 05:23 PM
    have to pay for everything with verizon ... got to love it
    Just like you have to pay for everything on AT&T & Sprint. They also charge for tethering.

People need to get it through their heads - nothing is free. Want to pay less, get less. Want more, then be ready to pay more. The cost of everyrthing is rolled into the price you pay.

The attitude is much like the dummies who cry out for higher taxes on business & corporations. Tax the oil company more! Raise the tax rates on phone companies! Sock it to that big business! Businesses do not pay taxes - raise their bottom line & they raise what they charge you & me. We pay taxes, not businesses. Charge them more & we pay more to make up for it.

Charge Crackberry more to sell accessories to you and the price you pay will go up proportionately.

The difference is, businesses work on percentage margins. So if they work on a 10% margin and you raise their costs by 10%, you will see an effective increase of 11%.

So go ahead, penalize these companies for their profits - you will pay more. Want VZW to offer tethering for free? Then all customers will foot the bill, including those who don't use the service.

Simple economics trumps your entitlement attitude everytime. Learn it & embrace it or live in your own ignorance.

06-13-09 06:13 PM
    How much is teatherberry
    06-15-09 03:24 PM
    Just like you have to pay for everything on AT&T & Sprint. They also charge for tethering.

People need to get it through their heads - nothing is free. Want to pay less, get less. Want more, then be ready to pay more. The cost of everyrthing is rolled into the price you pay.

The attitude is much like the dummies who cry out for higher taxes on business & corporations. Tax the oil company more! Raise the tax rates on phone companies! Sock it to that big business! Businesses do not pay taxes - raise their bottom line & they raise what they charge you & me. We pay taxes, not businesses. Charge them more & we pay more to make up for it.

Charge Crackberry more to sell accessories to you and the price you pay will go up proportionately.

The difference is, businesses work on percentage margins. So if they work on a 10% margin and you raise their costs by 10%, you will see an effective increase of 11%.

So go ahead, penalize these companies for their profits - you will pay more. Want VZW to offer tethering for free? Then all customers will foot the bill, including those who don't use the service.

Simple economics trumps your entitlement attitude everytime. Learn it & embrace it or live in your own ignorance.

This I have to agree with. People are so ignorant. However VZW 30 bucks for teather, that is insane
    06-15-09 03:27 PM
    However VZW 30 bucks for teather, that is insane
    On the surface, I'd agree with your sentiment there, too. But then I'd look deeper & noticve tethering charges are similar on other carriers. Each has a 5GB limit. Then I would compare it with my home broadband, which is twice as much - more without package discounts. Sure, home is connected to a computer in each room and is faster, but I can't take it with me.

You pay for mobility. I can get a desktop computer that will blow the best laptop off the desk for under $1000, whereas my favorite laptops run in the neighborhood of $4500 - and they are slower than my oldest desktops. Mobility isn't cheap.

After all of that, $30 for tethering or $60 for a card doesn't sound so insane.

06-15-09 06:00 PM

I don't always agree with your ideas/opinions but I agree 100% with this.

People that want everything for free get on my nerves fast. I would like to see those people try and run their own business for a while and I venture to say lot of them might change their tune
    06-15-09 06:39 PM

You pay for mobility. I can get a desktop computer that will blow the best laptop off the desk for under $1000, whereas my favorite laptops run in the neighborhood of $4500 - and they are slower than my oldest desktops. Mobility isn't cheap.

Uh.. have you shopped for a laptop lately?

I didn't know that it took a $4500 laptop to compete with a $1000 desktop.
    06-15-09 06:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD