Noob here,

I just a Pearl (for the wife) first time BB users, love it, i now have the option to buy an unlocked 8820 ATT but will use it on Tmobile. When transferring over, is it just a case of downloading the new firmware from the BBupgrade section on the tmobile site? Will this add my faves etc?

Great site, love the Blackberry, i am an addict..
    06-20-08 07:08 AM
    That is a good question!

First of all, you will have to make sure the 8820 is unlocked... I am unsure if you can get the TMo branded BB OS on the phone without causing problems...

I think the OS will act funky if it is on an ATT device (even though it is being used on the TMo network). I would stick with the ATT OSes...

Why not get a TMo phone?? If you don't mind me wondering?? Either way works though...

The myFaves GUI that is in the TMo BBOS will not be in the ATT one (obviously) but when it comes down to it, that interface is not needed. The myFaves is essentially remembered on your plan... not in the device... so you can just set the Fave 5 to speed dial and not even need the myFaves interface

I have myFaves and I hate that stupid UI for it... I personally turn it off and hide the icon
    06-20-08 07:22 AM
    Thanks for the reply, my reason for not buying a T mobile is the price and not getting locked into a new 2 year contract. I have been searching for a used 8820 for tmobile but no joy yet on the local craigslist etc. I may do a bit more searching first before making the jump. The price on craigslist is $250 which isn't too bad for a 9.5/10 device with no contract.
    06-20-08 07:49 AM
    Yeah... that makes sense

I would look on eBay and on CrackBerry in the marketplace forum... see if you can get a TMo 8820 out of contract
    06-20-08 07:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD