hello just wondering if you guys can help me out, I have 500mb a mnth for data, problem is i kinda went over, so now i am forced to shut off data on my phone, so basically im only gettin texts, my question is...is there a way i can use wfi on my 8900 berry to use bbm? im seriously gunna die without it! HAHAHA, i have tried turning off the rogers signal and runnin wifi, but seems like i need to have the data services to "on".. so wud that mean im still using data? please help me
    11-23-09 09:52 PM
    Your BB features including BBM and e-mail should work with wifi on and rogers phone signal off. Keep your data on but turn off your wireless connection. I am using a 9700 and that is how it works for me.
    11-23-09 10:19 PM
    Go to Mobile Network Options > Connection Preference > Select "Wi-Fi only".

Data services stay on. All data you use will go over Wi-Fi only and you won't have to worry about additional charges.
    11-23-09 10:23 PM
    ??

i was certain you can't use e-mail or BBM without data, and only wifi.
    11-23-09 10:41 PM
    Go to Mobile Network Options > Connection Preference > Select "Wi-Fi only".

Data services stay on. All data you use will go over Wi-Fi only and you won't have to worry about additional charges.

okay i have done what u told me, but this icon appears UMA? whats that mean?
    11-24-09 05:57 AM
    UMA means your voice calls will be routed over WI-FI
    11-24-09 07:06 PM
    You can use Wi-Fi for data if you have a data plan, which you clearly do.

I would suggest changing your Mobile Network Options > Connections Preference > to Mobile Network Preferred. That way you will be using voice for mobile and data strictly from Wi-Fi. Just Make sure you turn Wi-Fi on.

Leaving it on "Wi-Fi only" enables UMA, Rogers and Fido will charge you extra fees for using UMA calling. Happened to me, they charged me $30 on top of my bill.
    11-24-09 07:52 PM
    ??

i was certain you can't use e-mail or BBM without data, and only wifi.
    Yes, you can. But you need a BlackBerry data plan. You can't just go Pay-As-You-Go and expect to use the BlackBerry BIS services.
    11-24-09 07:56 PM

I would suggest changing your Mobile Network Options > Connections Preference > to Mobile Network Preferred. That way you will be using voice for mobile and data strictly from Wi-Fi. Just Make sure you turn Wi-Fi on.

Leaving it on "Wi-Fi only" enables UMA, Rogers and Fido will charge you extra fees for using UMA calling. Happened to me, they charged me $30 on top of my bill.
    UMA calling shouod come out of your minutes, or free evening/weekends, or you can pay 10$ for all you can eat, if they charged you for it there must have been a billing error you you simply went over your minutes
    11-24-09 08:18 PM

under mobile network options>data services shud i put it on or off? currently its off cuz im being charged when its on hahha
    11-30-09 08:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD