I apologize if this has been addressed before, but I haven't found it yet, so...

I have a Sierra 881 card for wireless broadband, and a BB without the "tethering option". Basically, I want to know if they are interchangeable and do the exact same thing. Or are the differences in networks and billing.
    Does the aircard use a different network than the BB (if the BB is tethered)?
    Are they interchangeable?
    Would using the BB get charged differently than using the aircard?

Since the Communication Manager recognizes the BB, and the setup info is out there, I'm 1 step away from trying this. I just don't want to get charged .01 a kb if I already have the aircard data plan in place (it would be pretty hard to explain to my IT group).

Thanks
    07-21-08 09:26 AM
    If you already have an 881, why would you want to use the BB? For one, the 881 is 3G, so it'll be faster than the Curve.

I've read that AT&T can't tell you're tethering as long as you don't get excessive with it, but I personally wouldn't want to risk getting hit with a huge bill.
    07-21-08 10:32 AM
    I apologize if this has been addressed before, but I haven't found it yet, so...

I have a Sierra 881 card for wireless broadband, and a BB without the "tethering option". Basically, I want to know if they are interchangeable and do the exact same thing. Or are the differences in networks and billing.
    Does the aircard use a different network than the BB (if the BB is tethered)?
    Are they interchangeable?
    Would using the BB get charged differently than using the aircard?

Since the Communication Manager recognizes the BB, and the setup info is out there, I'm 1 step away from trying this. I just don't want to get charged .01 a kb if I already have the aircard data plan in place (it would be pretty hard to explain to my IT group).

Thanks
    Did you sign a contract for the aircard? If so, there may be a fee to get out of that. They are not considered interchangeable. To add BB tethering is considered a feature, not a new service; whereas the aircard is considered a totally new service.

Hope that helps.
    07-21-08 10:35 AM
    Thank you both for your responses...

If you already have an 881, why would you want to use the BB? For one, the 881 is 3G, so it'll be faster than the Curve.
    Both were issued to me by my company.
    As far as speed goes... The 881 has the potential to be faster, but it also steps down on service networks, if necessary. So, if EDGE is all that's available than the BB and 881 are on the same thing. The 881 may throughput faster, but that may be inconsequential...dunno.

Did you sign a contract for the aircard?...
    Hope that helps.
    No, not really. I have nothing to do with the contract. I just don't want to get crap from my IT group for modifying the device and racking up extra charges.

What I'm wondering is... does AT&T see the data usage to the tethered BB as the same thing as the data service to the 881? If yes, then I can carry the 881 when I know I'll need heavy internet usage, otherwise, I can rely on the BB if I need to get on-line with the PC.
    07-21-08 11:40 AM
    Any of AT&T folks want to chime in on this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-25-08 06:46 AM
    ...bump...
    07-30-08 09:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD