Hi all ,new user here.I apologize in advance if this is the wrong thread or if my first post is a little long winded.
    My daughter has a BB curve with social media plan from Telus (facebook-twitter-BBM access) no data,for approx $35.00.
    Issue is phones keep breaking down etc. Her contract is coming due and I was told if we upgrade,we can no longer get her package,which is understandable,however the other questions I have were not quite answered clearly.
    1.I was told buying a new phone outright (any of the Q's or Z's),I could not just swap out the SIM card and continue with the same plan.
    2.I was told if I wanted the same plan I would just need to keep finding used or older BB's such as Curves and Bolds.
    3.I was told this was due to BB software changes,which I supposed means the OS7(?) vs BB10 (sorry not a techie).
    Can anyone confirm this? Btw,she does not want,nor does she need data,she loves her social plan!
    12-04-13 02:08 PM
    Hi all ,new user here.I apologize in advance if this is the wrong thread or if my first post is a little long winded.
    My daughter has a BB curve with social media plan from Telus (facebook-twitter-BBM access) no data,for approx $35.00.
    Issue is phones keep breaking down etc. Her contract is coming due and I was told if we upgrade,we can no longer get her package,which is understandable,however the other questions I have were not quite answered clearly.
    1.I was told buying a new phone outright (any of the Q's or Z's),I could not just swap out the SIM card and continue with the same plan.
    2.I was told if I wanted the same plan I would just need to keep finding used or older BB's such as Curves and Bolds.
    3.I was told this was due to BB software changes,which I supposed means the OS7(?) vs BB10 (sorry not a techie).
    Can anyone confirm this? Btw,she does not want,nor does she need data,she loves her social plan!
    Her Curve uses what is referred to as a BIS account... Newer BB10 devices do not use the same "plans" so you would have to upgrade her.

If you get one of the devices running the older BBOS operating system - Curve, Bold, Torch... then you should be able to use it. Would need to make sure it is designed to work on the Telus network - same radios. Telus website show the 9320 as a current device???
    12-04-13 02:21 PM
    Thanks for the reply.
    Correct that is the one I saw.
    Kinda funny though,the Telus rep also said he had unlocked devices that I could swap out the SIM and that it would work?
    But I also visited 2 other stores they said Yes on the Q devices (I could just swap SIMS) but no on the Z devices?
    Just to mention, we also have a company account (10 phones) so the Rep had no reason to try and upsell ,as he knows we buy phones regardless.
    12-04-13 03:39 PM
    Thanks for the reply.
    Correct that is the one I saw.
    Kinda funny though,the Telus rep also said he had unlocked devices that I could swap out the SIM and that it would work?
    But I also visited 2 other stores they said Yes on the Q devices (I could just swap SIMS) but no on the Z devices?
    Just to mention, we also have a company account (10 phones) so the Rep had no reason to try and upsell ,as he knows we buy phones regardless.
    I'm trying to follow everything here, but I think the reps at the stores may have given slightly incorrect information.

As the first responder said, BB10 no longer runs through the BIS service except for the use of BBM and BlackBerry Protect. Everything's now regular data. Before, the carrier could flip a switch and give a BlackBerry access to only a select few data options (either just bbm and email or just social apps with no email). With the carriers unable to do this for ANY BB10 devices, they need to set them up with some form of data pla. So they can access Facebook, Twitter, Skype, BBM, and the like.

Now I will note that the new devices do have Parental Controls available in the menu, but not sure what that will block off. But for all intents and purposes, the rep at the call centre was right in saying that to keep the same $35 plan in the exact same form (unlimited social only) will require a BBOS phone (a bold or curve or Torch series phone). Anything else will need a change in plan to allow for social apps to access the Web.

I hope this helps some.

Posted by my Z30 via CB10
    12-05-13 02:07 AM
    Yes thanks helps quite a bit.
    I might just go to Z30 or One of the Q's and let her use my BB9900.
    Just hope we never get that call saying we have to change cause her plan is gonna the way of the dodo....
    12-05-13 06:32 AM
    Yes thanks helps quite a bit.
    I might just go to Z30 or One of the Q's and let her use my BB9900.
    Just hope we never get that call saying we have to change cause her plan is gonna the way of the dodo....
    I don't believe you should ever have to receive that phone call. Carriers tend to let people retain the same plan until either the device they want doesn't qualify for that plan (i.e non-BBOS phone on that social plan) or in the case of Verizon and AT&T in the USA they force anyone upgrading to an new subsidised device to move to a new plan.

This all said, next time they go on sale it may be a good idea to pick up a curve 9320 from prepaid. If you can't find one at your local Telus store, I know Black's carries them for Telus, as well as possibly Future Shop, Best Buy, and of course Telus' online web store.

Posted by my Z30 via CB10
    12-06-13 12:48 AM