Hey CrackBerry,

It's been 2 years exactly since I had my Pearl 8100 with Rogers for a 3 year contract. I really need to change my phone (really slow on OS 4.5, almost no memory, not 3G, no WiFi, you get the idea) to a Bold 9700. Since it's been 2 years, I have a "deal" on the 9700 through customer service on the phone. I can get it at 399.99 (plus taxes) with a mail-in rebate of 50$ (349.99 after).

Is that a good deal? How can I manage to get a better deal? I have read through some threads that you have to be polite to the CSR, which I have done. Any other things to try? Is after Christmas a good time to go for an upgrade?

Thanks.
    12-07-09 03:42 PM
    Sister is getting it for $299 ($50 M-i-R) for $249. Renewed contract, was 2 years in. Although her original phone was a dumphone, not BlackBerry like you.
    12-07-09 05:16 PM
    Absolutely not... i say bargain with them, tell them them you may as well go to telus or bell for a better price. Tell them you wish to renew 3 more years, but not at that price they are giving you.

Horrible price for you to renew 3 yrs with them, bargain to at least 249.99 plus tax or better 200.00 plus tax.
    12-07-09 08:56 PM
    That's not a deal. Rogers website says $249.99 on a 3 year contract for the bold 9700. You should definitely bargain with them.
    12-08-09 01:42 PM
    I'm in a similar situation. Almost two years into my contract and I am upgrading from a 8310 to a 9700. The deal I got was $225 plus a $50 MIR, so an effective price of about $175. I would definitely bargain with them if I were you...
    12-08-09 04:45 PM
    I have read through some threads that you have to be polite to the CSR, which I have done. Any other things to try?
    you do have to be polite, but also just say "i'm sorry but i'm not satisfied because (insert reasons such as devoted customer, etc)" almost always works...

or tell them what you want...this leads to a compromise...(e.g., goodwill credits)
    12-08-09 11:00 PM
    you do have to be polite, but also just say "i'm sorry but i'm not satisfied because (insert reasons such as devoted customer, etc)" almost always works...

or tell them what you want...this leads to a compromise...(e.g., goodwill credits)
    I have to remember that.
    12-09-09 10:15 PM
    becareful see alot of post that people are getting charge roaming fees on hspa network lots of bugs im with telus and im staying with tour plus if you have unlimited data plan u can;t switch it to bold they don't offer it anymore go with the tour cheaper and same phone except trackball 5.0 software
    12-09-09 10:32 PM
    becareful see alot of post that people are getting charge roaming fees on hspa network lots of bugs im with telus and im staying with tour plus if you have unlimited data plan u can;t switch it to bold they don't offer it anymore go with the tour cheaper and same phone except trackball 5.0 software
    Rogers dosent offer the Tour and he is with Rogers. Also Roger's HSPA network is a few years old and runs extremely well.
    12-10-09 09:20 AM
    People are forgetting to mention that when you call Rogers, ask for retentions.
    Once you have been transferred then be nice and such like people have mentioned. Explain your situation and try to work out a deal. If you can't come to an agreement then politely say you will think about it........hang up and call back to get a different person. Don't constantly call them because they will catch on and flag your account, also make sure you know what you want before you call because they need specifics.

When i upgraded my contract back in november 2008 i was able to get a bold for $90 and a $35 plan which included 500mb data, 400minutes, 10,000 text and mms, voicemail, rogers to rogers, call display, and whocalled.

Hope that helps!

Good Luck
    12-10-09 08:02 PM
    Once you have been transferred then be nice and such like people have mentioned. Explain your situation and try to work out a deal. If you can't come to an agreement then politely say you will think about it........hang up and call back to get a different person. Don't constantly call them because they will catch on and flag your account, also make sure you know what you want before you call because they need specifics.

When i upgraded my contract back in november 2008 i was able to get a bold for $90 and a $35 plan which included 500mb data, 400minutes, 10,000 text and mms, voicemail, rogers to rogers, call display, and whocalled.

Hope that helps!

Good Luck
    Damn! that's an awesome plan!
    12-11-09 04:44 AM

Hope that helps!

Good Luck
    Post some details regarding that plan. Is that including some bill credits?

I know the 500 MB, 10,000 sms/mms, voicemail, call display, who called were all bundled for $30 under a value pack at that time.

But I can't see it being $5 for 400 minutes, lol. And I'd assume the rogers-to-rogers was probably thrown in for free (since its only $5).

How does it work exactly?
    12-11-09 09:13 AM
    Try what my buddy did. He was barely a year into his 3 year contract with his 8900 and wanted the 9700 badly and knew he couldn't upgrade for at least another year. So what he did was he called Rogers and asked them how much the cancellation fee cost. They asked why and he said that Telus would pay off the Rogers cancellation fee by giving him credit. The rep then asked why he wanted to cancel. He simply said my Blackberry isn't what he expected and wanted to get a 9700. Rogers like always doesn't like losing customers so the rep let him upgrade to the 9700 for $299.99. I'll probably give that a try next year year when I'm eligible for a upgrade so I don't have to pay more then the promotion price.
    12-11-09 10:22 AM
    Try what my buddy did. He was barely a year into his 3 year contract with his 8900 and wanted the 9700 badly and knew he couldn't upgrade for at least another year. So what he did was he called Rogers and asked them how much the cancellation fee cost. They asked why and he said that Telus would pay off the Rogers cancellation fee by giving him credit. The rep then asked why he wanted to cancel. He simply said my Blackberry isn't what he expected and wanted to get a 9700. Rogers like always doesn't like losing customers so the rep let him upgrade to the 9700 for $299.99. I'll probably give that a try next year year when I'm eligible for a upgrade so I don't have to pay more then the promotion price.
    Would Telus actually pay off the Rogers ECF through credit? Not sure if that's a legit excuse, or one used as a bargaining means.

I took over a contract line on December 3rd that had an upgrade used on December 2nd. I called and I'm able to upgrade again right now if I extend 3 years from today (so basically extend 8 days longer, lol). Only problem is they want me to increase my data from $15/month (150 MB) to $25/month (500 MB), which I'm not doing. I would be able to get it for $249 + $35.
    Last edited by Matt_25; 12-11-09 at 10:40 AM.
    12-11-09 10:37 AM
    Would Telus actually pay off the Rogers ECF through credit? Not sure if that's a legit excuse, or one used as a bargaining means.

I took over a contract line on December 3rd that had an upgrade used on December 2nd. I called and I'm able to upgrade again right now if I extend 3 years from today (so basically extend 8 days longer, lol). Only problem is they want me to increase my data from $15/month (150 MB) to $25/month (500 MB), which I'm not doing. I would be able to get it for $249 + $35.
    No I wouldn't think so either. My friend didn't even know if Telus would do that. He just said it so the rep would let him upgrade. Haha he wasn't even planning on leaving Rogers
    12-13-09 12:20 PM
    interesting, good plan quoted above.
    12-13-09 03:20 PM
    Thanks everyone for the good advice. It's been 2 years since I've been with Rogers (this is my first phone) and I'm planning on staying with them. With the customer service line, I got it at 399.99 like previously said. I also went to a retail store and apparently I can get it at 349.99 with a 50$ mail in rebate (299.99 after). It's still too expensive.

I will wait after the holidays to try again and if I can't get it at 200$ or lower.

Thanks again!
    12-20-09 12:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD