THis morning I woke up to find 4 news apps in my Downloads folder - World Series of Poker 3 Demo, Bubble Bash Demo, Brain Challenge 2 Demo and urMusic. All are web "stubs" to install the apps. Why were these pushed to my phone? The fact that one of them is urMusic smells like a Rogers ploy to me.
    12-03-09 06:21 AM
    I also had these same application stubs pushed to my device. From reading other forums, you can delete them from your service books - but you have to do that EVERY time you reboot your phone.

I will be calling Rogers today to give them an earful. As someone who uses their blackberry for business purposes, I find pushed advertising for games on a paid service disgraceful. I have chosen to opt out of all their other advertising.
    12-03-09 07:26 AM
    The official Rogers word on the bloatware is that it is something being pushed out by RIM on OS 5.0. As they do not support 5.0 yet, there is nothing that they will do.
    12-03-09 08:12 AM
    The easiest thing to do is hide these apps or put them in a folder you do not use. The provider will push them again if you delete. Not worth the effort of being bothered. Once hidden and forgotten works just fine in my world.
    12-03-09 08:17 AM
    I noticed these yesterday aswell, they should be sending these via sms with a link and not just throwing them on everybodys phone. Like mrDG those using theirs phone for business probably dont want them and dont want them taking up would be valuable space so we should all be given the option of having them.... I just moved them all to the setup folder and wont do anymore with them, Im sure if I wanted poker or bubblebash Id find them.
    12-03-09 08:17 AM
    I was wondering about these stupid icons!!! argh... Makes me mad to know Rogers put them there. I thought they came with another app.
    12-03-09 03:09 PM
    I believe there is a feature you can uninstall through DM that will stop Rogers from being able to push applications to your phone. I'm not 100% sure though. I do remember one of the apps listed in DM said something about the carrier's ability to install apps to your phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-03-09 05:51 PM
    Other carriers push applications out as well. This the first I have experienced with Rogers.

12-03-09 08:21 PM
    I didn't get these on mine.
    12-03-09 08:27 PM
    At least they don't push out like 20 of them like AT&T does.

12-03-09 11:36 PM
    I was shocked to suddenly find those apps! So pissed off and can't even delete them.

On top of it, it made the phone freeze up in the midst of an email and I had to take battery out and retype. Grrr!

12-04-09 05:11 AM
    I received the same surprise too, it's so annoying! Instead of inviting people to try these apps it does the opposite, you start hating them right away. I know I'll never going to try World Series of Poker 3 Demo, Bubble Bash Demo, Brain Challenge 2 Demo or urMusic.

I put them in a folder call Rogers, where I put all the unused crap

Thank you Rogers =S
    12-04-09 11:00 AM
    My bold got raped by rogers too...

Appearantly it only affects ppl on BIS, not BES.
    12-04-09 12:10 PM
    Can we calm down?

I got them and just chose to hide the 4 apps, took 20 seconds. Relax.
    12-04-09 02:50 PM
    ^+1

10 char
    12-04-09 02:58 PM
    Can we calm down?

I got them and just chose to hide the 4 apps, took 20 seconds. Relax.
    The point is we shouldn't *have* to hide them. They shouldn't be on our phones in the first place.

12-05-09 12:12 PM
    Every carrier does it! Not just "evil rogers" hid them and you will never see them, and forget about it in about 5 minutes

12-05-09 01:16 PM
    found a fix.
    i left push enabled, rebooted. hasnt shown up yet.

From Blackberry support forums. I tried to link the URL, but i dont have a high enough post count. Props to the OP of that thread!

Hey, this is actually a pretty easy fix... It seems at some point Rogers and some other carriers upon reboot have added some new applications through service book upgrades.

In order to remove these evil applications and some of the pre downloaded applications when you bought the phone is to go into the service books through the advanced settings tab. Look for the service books that have the names of the applications you would like to delete, and delete them from there.
    12-05-09 03:59 PM
    I got these same 4 apps/demos pushed to my phone last night. Talked to a tech support guy at Rogers today who suggested deleting these from my service book and then pulling the battery. It did work and they are gone, but we'll see if they magically re-appear later. The tech guy said that these weren't pushed by Rogers that he knew of. Does anyone know if RIM did this? I want to know who should get the email about obnoxious and counter-productive marketing behavior. I certainly won't go anywhere near apps or demos for apps that are delivered this way without my permission!
    12-09-09 02:34 PM
    Ya, this is annoying. I too removed them from the service books 3 times now. They showed up for me after a battery pull each time.
    This is total crap, I mean it's probably not using too much data (if any) but if it is, I'm the one paying my data bill. It's just principle. If I went over my data allowance by the amount that it uses, I'd bet that I'd get charged for it.
    Total Crap!!!
    I got these same 4 apps/demos pushed to my phone last night. Talked to a tech support guy at Rogers today who suggested deleting these from my service book and then pulling the battery. It did work and they are gone, but we'll see if they magically re-appear later. The tech guy said that these weren't pushed by Rogers that he knew of. Does anyone know if RIM did this? I want to know who should get the email about obnoxious and counter-productive marketing behavior. I certainly won't go anywhere near apps or demos for apps that are delivered this way without my permission!
    12-09-09 05:41 PM
    i just hide them and all is well now xD
    12-14-09 04:36 PM
    I sent a complaining email last week to their customer support and the rep denied that it was Rogers that pushed the applications, suggesting they might have been bundled with third-party Appworld applications. (Not true--I have not downloaded any third-party apps recently.)

Then a few days ago I got a text message from Rogers that says: "Rogers svc msg: New games & cool apps are not available in the Downloads Folder on your Blackberry. Just click on the folder to check them out."

So obviously it's them pushing the applications, or they are complicit in some way, otherwise they wouldn't be sending messages about it.

BTW, I deleted their service books and they have not returned.
    12-18-09 10:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD