i bought the 400 max texting though i really didnt want to, since i have the unlimited plan and can yahoo IM or email as much as i want etc..and because some friends were texting me (not knowing i didnt have pay for a text plan) and then i also got unsolicited texts-people who apparently were typing the wrong phone number in, and i didnt want to get charged extra, so i figured i would just pay the extra 5-10 bucks or whatever it is, and have the 400 max plan.
    well now that i have it, i occasionally use it, thats great. however i still get people who text me by accident, apparently putting in wrong number, and are using my allotment.
    i doubt there is anything i can do about this and i hate that i have to use MY own allotment by responding to some of them that keep texting to say "Please dont text my number any more, you dont know me and you must have gotten the wrong number".
    but IS there a way to handle this problem?
    what do YALL do?
    04-03-08 08:15 AM
    i have unlimited text so i don't have to worry about it !
    04-03-08 08:18 AM
    Other than the reply you mentioned, you can try the method discussed here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...messages-9034/
    04-03-08 08:19 AM
    you can also not read the messages, might get annoying but if you don't read them then you don't get charged for them..or you can use the firewall to block, sms and mms messages
    04-03-08 09:59 AM
    You still get charged if you read them or not. Like phone calls you still get charged as long as the phone call connects. Might be for a few seconds, but it's still logged. Same as txt messages. When sent out and it hits the phone a notice of reception is sent back to the server and logged. I'd block the sms mss to be honest.
    04-03-08 10:29 AM
    If you block though, you won't be able to open messages that you want either, it will block ALL messages. And i'm pretty sure you get charged for it anyway!
    04-03-08 10:32 AM
    Yep...no way not to get charged for incoming sms...we get mad customers calling all the time about that....usually 90 yr old ladys who were charged $0.30 for two sms...normally customer care will place some courtesy sms on your acct to handle the reply messages or you could just upgrade to the unlimited for $14.99 worth it to me cause it includes, text, picture, video, im, etc.
    04-03-08 12:51 PM
    The best solution we found for our 16 year old was unlimited texting and a relatively small number of minutes of phone with unlimited mobile-to-mobile and unlimited nights and weekends. She mostly texts and talks to other Verizon cell users anyway. At the time, Verizon had a pkg that was a little cheaper and eliminated the big surprises each month. It still works well for us. But if you use your bb to call a lot of land line phones, it might not work for you.
    04-03-08 07:34 PM
    i get random texts from clubs here in vegas and i hate it i would love to know how to block them it gets annoying
    04-09-08 10:00 PM
    i guess there is no resolution to this matter huh
    04-11-08 04:40 PM
    where is sunkast and his bottomless pit of answers when i need him

*play superhero theme music for when he gets here*
    04-11-08 04:41 PM
    where is sunkast and his bottomless pit of answers when i need him

*play superhero theme music for when he gets here*
    Generally, there are no screening programs or protocols for SMS/Text Messages. Verizon use to be able to totally block calls and texts from specific numbers. I know this because I had a problem with a stranger who thought my number still belonged to his ex-girlfriend. After discussing the matter with Verizon, they blocked all communication from his number to my number. I am no longer with Verizon and don't know if they still do that. Again, generally, the only way to screen SMS/Text Messages is by the carrier and most carriers won't block your sms protocols.

This is actually going to be a nightmare sometime in the future when spammers start sending spam text messages and the average person has no way to block that crap.
    04-11-08 06:44 PM
    that sucks, i get stupid spam texts all the time from nightclubs and stuff in vegas offering me free tables and bottles and stuff its crazy cuz i never gave number out just to friends that work places and thats just to text them when i wanna go, there should be something the carriers can come up with to fix this
    04-12-08 03:59 AM
    Sign up for unlimited texts, $14.99 per month. Then, reply to unwanted messages with the response
    "Please stop sending this number SMS messages! Thankyou"

Only send it as one word PER SMS... It is extremely annoying to the recipient, and believe me, they'll stop texting you...
    04-25-08 11:20 AM
    You still get charged if you read them or not. Like phone calls you still get charged as long as the phone call connects. Might be for a few seconds, but it's still logged. Same as txt messages. When sent out and it hits the phone a notice of reception is sent back to the server and logged. I'd block the sms mss to be honest.
    Yes definately true. Sent or received you are charged whether it is read or not!
    04-25-08 12:36 PM
    that sucks, i get stupid spam texts all the time from nightclubs and stuff in vegas offering me free tables and bottles and stuff its crazy cuz i never gave number out just to friends that work places and thats just to text them when i wanna go, there should be something the carriers can come up with to fix this
    I don't know for TMO but at sprint if you have the message saved we can pull up a message log from last 3 days to see where message is originating from and block it from the backend. Check with your provider but make sure you keep the message because they will need that information from it.
    04-25-08 12:37 PM
    I don't know for TMO but at sprint if you have the message saved we can pull up a message log from last 3 days to see where message is originating from and block it from the backend. Check with your provider but make sure you keep the message because they will need that information from it.
    Hmm, interesting
    I have to try it with AT&T
    04-28-08 12:15 PM
    I use the firewall to block all sms, mms, and pin messages. I have blocked 82 sms messages in the last month. I have no idea where they are coming from, but I block them all. I do not get charged for any of this.
    04-28-08 01:22 PM
    to block text messages from specific numbers:

Prior to completing the following steps, make sure the auto signature feature is turned off for outgoing text messages.

1. Create a new text message on your wireless phone

2. Enter 8888 as the recipient.

3. Enter one of the following codes in the body of the message:

a. To Block: B + 10 digit mobile number (ex. B 5551234567) and send the text message. This blocks the number from sending messages to you.

b. To Unblock: U + 10 digit mobile number (ex. U 5551234567) and send the text message. This will unblock a number so they can send text messages to you again.

c. To Retrieve List of Already Blocked Numbers: Enter the letter "L" and send the text message. A list of numbers you currently have blocked will be sent back to you in a text message.

Senders who have been blocked will get the following message if they try to send you a text message: "You have been blocked from originating messages to this subscriber".
    04-28-08 01:39 PM
    Thanks CHAZ for the link.
    04-28-08 06:30 PM
    worst case scenario change your number.its your phone and your account you have a right not to be solicited by anyone or group you dont know.
    04-29-08 04:43 PM
    idk y ppl dont jus get unlimited txt...i can do 400 in a day
    05-03-08 12:17 AM
    to block text messages from specific numbers:

Prior to completing the following steps, make sure the auto signature feature is turned off for outgoing text messages.

1. Create a new text message on your wireless phone

2. Enter 8888 as the recipient.

3. Enter one of the following codes in the body of the message:

a. To Block: B + 10 digit mobile number (ex. B 5551234567) and send the text message. This blocks the number from sending messages to you.

b. To Unblock: U + 10 digit mobile number (ex. U 5551234567) and send the text message. This will unblock a number so they can send text messages to you again.

c. To Retrieve List of Already Blocked Numbers: Enter the letter "L" and send the text message. A list of numbers you currently have blocked will be sent back to you in a text message.

Senders who have been blocked will get the following message if they try to send you a text message: "You have been blocked from originating messages to this subscriber".
    is this for all curves or just alltell curves???
    09-30-08 02:41 PM
    @BlackBerryBran

1. Don't need it
    2. Not in the budget

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-01-08 07:01 AM
    Seems all technology has its good and bad points. Just have to decide which outweighs the other.
    01-05-10 09:19 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD