In light of the BB Tour coming out on Sunday, I am looking to sell my Storm (sorry guys!). Before I sell it though, I want to unlock it first because doing so definitely increases the market for the phone as it can then be used on other carriers aside from Verizon. So I called up Verizon's International Support and told them I would be travelling to Europe and that I would like an unlock code. After verifying the accountholder's name, password, and all that jargon, the person I spoke on the phone with told me that unlocking the phone and inserting an international SIM card voids the warranty. I was kind of shocked when I heard him say that so I asked him about it again to confirm and he said that it does void the warranty. After he said that I kind of cut the conversation short and told him that I wanted to think about that before I went ahead and did it (all the while being 99% sure that unlocking the phone does not void the warranty).

Now, even after getting off the phone with him I am still pretty sure that unlocking it won't void the warranty but I want to have no doubts about it. Can anyone confirm this for me? Was the guy I was speaking to just not familiar with policy? Thanks in advance!
    07-07-09 07:45 PM
    Im almost positive this does not void the warrenty, the warrenty wouldnt be threw verizon anyways it would be straihgt threw blackberry(RIM) Obviously it will not void the warrenty since it is something they can give out to anyone, i have had a unlocked blackberry curve and rim had no problem taking it back they do not even ask if the phone is unlocked they just ask if its damaged,wroking properly, and what not. But im pretty sure if you have a unlocked phone and you go to send it because of a incident they will not give back a unlcoked phone
    07-07-09 07:51 PM
    Unlocking does not void the warranty
    07-07-09 07:51 PM
    Unlocking does void the warenty as far as verizon is concerened. You may still be covered by rim but you will get no warenty replacements through verizon any replacements will have to be done with ins if you have it and you will have to pay the 50 dollar deductable. I got this info from verizon global support also. So don't unlock your phone unless you are really going to sell it or don't mind going through rim for warenty issues cuz verizon wount help you.
    Edit: verizon notates your account once the unlock code is given weather you actuly use it or not so be careful when unlocking your storm.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by blackberryjoel; 07-07-09 at 09:17 PM.
    07-07-09 09:14 PM
    verizon themselves gives you the unlock codes. it does void the 1year manufacturer's warr. they say if your phone is somehow damaged by using some other carriers sim card. i believe. i may be wrong, but thats how it was explained to me when i called and had mines unlocked. as long as you have tep, you should be fine either way.
    07-07-09 09:18 PM
    this is what was in the email they sent after i unlocked it.

Your Verizon Wireless Global Phone is equipped with a compatible Subscriber Identity Module (SIM)
    Card (the Global Phone SIM Card) for use when roaming in 'GSM Mode' within the then-current
    Global Phone Service Area (GPSA), as published on New Cell Phones, CPO Cell Phones, Prepaid Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans - Verizon Wireless. When traveling
    internationally outside of the GPSA, You may use the Global Phones in 'CDMA Mode' throughout
    Verizon Wireless' international roaming service area, subject to applicable rates, terms and
    conditions. A current list of countries where international roaming service is available is accessible
    at New Cell Phones, CPO Cell Phones, Prepaid Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans - Verizon Wireless.
    To obtain voice/data service outside of the GPSA using a Global Phone in 'GSM Mode', Your Global
    Phone must first be unlocked by entering a numerical code (Unlock Code) into the phone (see
    Your phone manufacturer's user guide for instructions). Once unlocked, You may insert another
    wireless carrier's SIM Card (Other SIM Card) into the Global Phone to obtain service from that
    carrier. Each Global Phone has a unique Unlock Code. Unlock Codes are available upon request
    from Verizon Wireless subject to the following terms and conditions:
    1. You agree that Global Phone rates do not apply to any service obtained through the use of Other SIM
    Cards, and that Verizon Wireless is not responsible for, and has no information about, such service.
    2. YOU AGREE THAT ANY AND ALL USE OF OTHER SIM CARDS IN THE GLOBAL PHONE IS AT YOUR
    SOLE RISK AND EXPENSE AND IS SUBJECT TO THE RATES, TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE
    APPLICABLE WIRELESS CARRIER.
    3. You agree that, to the extent applicable when using Other SIM Cards, Your use of the Global Phone
    remains subject to Your Verizon Wireless Customer Agreement, Calling Plan and Global Phone
    terms and conditions, including without limitation, the requirement to abide by all applicable foreign
    laws when using the Global Phone outside of the United States.
    4. You agree that these Terms and Conditions become part of your Verizon Wireless Customer
    Agreement and Calling Plan.
    07-07-09 09:21 PM
    Unlocking does not void your warranty. Verizon just warns you that they are not responsible if you use a third party SIM (i.e., the charges you receive). Using another SIM is highly unlikely to "damage" your Storm.
    07-07-09 11:18 PM
    I'd check again I was told by verizon that once you are given the code your account is notetated and your warenty IS voided. Ask verizon they will confirm that. So be carefull giving people false info.

07-08-09 01:24 AM
    I'd check again I was told by verizon that once you are given the code your account is notetated and your warenty IS voided. Ask verizon they will confirm that. So be carefull giving people false info.
    You should be careful about believing what a CS person tells you. But just to play your game, yes, I did ask the Global Support person when I unlocked, and according to her, unlocking does not void your warranty (although if you're in your first 30 days, you cannot return it to Verizon for a full exchange).

Just to be on the safe side, I read the printed terms that they send you after unlocking and you should do the same! So be careful giving people false info.
    07-08-09 07:26 AM
    I just called Verizon yesterday and had my storm unlocked and the person told me that it would void my warranty because other carriers SIM cards could damage my storm. I don't believe that could happen but still I don't think they would be telling everyone that their warranties are cancelled if they really aren't.
    07-08-09 07:40 AM

This is a moot point since the OP stated that they were selling the phone. Once the phone has been sold to the new individual they do not have the rights that the original purchaser had when it comes to warranty. They would only be covered by the 1 year manufacturers warranty (At RIMs sole discretion) and any 3rd party insurance they may have. The Verizon warranty only applies to the original purchaser of the equipment. I have bought phones second hand and suffered through this very same scenario.
    07-08-09 07:44 AM
    if it does why does every carrier give out unlock codes, AT&T, T-Mobile, VZW
    07-08-09 10:11 AM
    I just called Verizon yesterday and had my storm unlocked and the person told me that it would void my warranty because other carriers SIM cards could damage my storm. I don't believe that could happen but still I don't think they would be telling everyone that their warranties are cancelled if they really aren't.
    The CSR's dont always know what their talking about. I have corrected them many times in them giving me incorrect info. Carriers are not going to do something to the phone thats going to void the warranty.
    07-08-09 10:31 AM
    So the same guy I called and talked to last night called back and said that he confirmed the policy with regards to this matter. He said that unlocking the phone does NOT void the warranty. I think when you put another carrier's SIM card in that MIGHT void it, but that's just my thinking. Anyway, just unlocking the phone does nothing to void the warranty.
    07-08-09 04:13 PM
    That's odd, considering the SIM in the phone could also cause problems. The rep you spoke to is not correct. If that is the case, I wouldn't have gotten my replacement phone. I had my original unlocked, had an issue with it, and it was replaced. This phone is also unlocked, so far no issues but I have confirmed the unlock works with a T-Mobile SIM that I hijacked from my friend for a few minutes.
    07-08-09 07:11 PM
    by the way, a bit off topic, but you can always sell the phone for a bit cheaper and tell the buyer that they have to unlock it themselvess.
    07-08-09 08:03 PM
    I was able to have mine replaced and mine was unlocked with a beta os
    07-08-09 08:08 PM
    Is it the same unlock code for all storms

07-09-09 01:28 AM
    Is it the same unlock code for all storms

No.

---------
    07-09-09 05:52 PM
    I'm jus wondering, if you're selling your storm why would it matter if it has warranty or not. Warranty doesn't transfer over to the new owner right?

07-20-09 09:37 AM
    Verizon just told me that my warranty would be voided if they gave me the unlock code. They read me a list of things that I should know before unlocking my phone, and the voiding of the warranty was the third one.

Buxlep, I would be careful what a CS person tells you! Last thing you want is to have to argue with the people at the store because your device went back and you spoke to an *****.

My suggestion would be to email the support people and have the answer in writing, that way you have something to fight when your phone dies and they won't help you.

You should be careful about believing what a CS person tells you. But just to play your game, yes, I did ask the Global Support person when I unlocked, and according to her, unlocking does not void your warranty (although if you're in your first 30 days, you cannot return it to Verizon for a full exchange).

Just to be on the safe side, I read the printed terms that they send you after unlocking and you should do the same! So be careful giving people false info.
    09-27-09 01:53 PM
    I'm jus wondering, if you're selling your storm why would it matter if it has warranty or not. Warranty doesn't transfer over to the new owner right?

Manufacturer Warranty does transfer to the new owner. A few months ago I got a broken 8830 off ebay that was only 10 months old. I thought I was screwed and I took it to the verizon store and they said that the device was covered. I had to pay $50 deductable, but well worth it.
    09-27-09 01:54 PM
    this is all you need to know. if you have any other questions after reading this then, well, you don't know how to read.

don't go around spouting information unless you can back it up with proof please. this applies to everyone here who said "unlock will void your warranty"....until you can prove it, kindly stfu

this is what was in the email they sent after i unlocked it.

Your Verizon Wireless Global Phone is equipped with a compatible Subscriber Identity Module (SIM)
    Card (the Global Phone SIM Card) for use when roaming in 'GSM Mode' within the then-current
    Global Phone Service Area (GPSA), as published on New Cell Phones, CPO Cell Phones, Prepaid Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans - Verizon Wireless. When traveling
    internationally outside of the GPSA, You may use the Global Phones in 'CDMA Mode' throughout
    Verizon Wireless' international roaming service area, subject to applicable rates, terms and
    conditions. A current list of countries where international roaming service is available is accessible
    at New Cell Phones, CPO Cell Phones, Prepaid Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans - Verizon Wireless.
    To obtain voice/data service outside of the GPSA using a Global Phone in 'GSM Mode', Your Global
    Phone must first be unlocked by entering a numerical code (Unlock Code) into the phone (see
    Your phone manufacturer's user guide for instructions). Once unlocked, You may insert another
    wireless carrier's SIM Card (Other SIM Card) into the Global Phone to obtain service from that
    carrier. Each Global Phone has a unique Unlock Code. Unlock Codes are available upon request
    from Verizon Wireless subject to the following terms and conditions:
    1. You agree that Global Phone rates do not apply to any service obtained through the use of Other SIM
    Cards, and that Verizon Wireless is not responsible for, and has no information about, such service.
    2. YOU AGREE THAT ANY AND ALL USE OF OTHER SIM CARDS IN THE GLOBAL PHONE IS AT YOUR
    SOLE RISK AND EXPENSE AND IS SUBJECT TO THE RATES, TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE
    APPLICABLE WIRELESS CARRIER.
    3. You agree that, to the extent applicable when using Other SIM Cards, Your use of the Global Phone
    remains subject to Your Verizon Wireless Customer Agreement, Calling Plan and Global Phone
    terms and conditions, including without limitation, the requirement to abide by all applicable foreign
    laws when using the Global Phone outside of the United States.
    4. You agree that these Terms and Conditions become part of your Verizon Wireless Customer
    Agreement and Calling Plan.
    09-27-09 02:03 PM
    Verizon just told me that my warranty would be voided if they gave me the unlock code. They read me a list of things that I should know before unlocking my phone, and the voiding of the warranty was the third one.

Buxlep, I would be careful what a CS person tells you! Last thing you want is to have to argue with the people at the store because your device went back and you spoke to an *****.

My suggestion would be to email the support people and have the answer in writing, that way you have something to fight when your phone dies and they won't help you.
    jon-morris, you are mistaken. And I love the hypocrisy of you telling people to not believe CS because a CS person told you something different. Care to show me in writing where unlocking voids your warranty?

For the record, I go by what's in writing, and patches has just posted all you need to know. You should have received the same terms when you unlocked. Your manufacturer's warranty is also still good after unlocking.
    09-27-09 02:32 PM
    I think The Magnuson-Moss Act would pertain to phones as it does vehicle modifications. One of its tenets is that they must show that the 3rd party item caused the problem.

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    09-27-09 02:58 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD