im a bit confused as ive never had a "world phone." since theres a discount on unlock codes, i was thinking about buying one for just in case purposes.

if i unlock, and take the phone to the philippines (Globe/Smart are the providers), can i just pop in a globe or smart SIM card into the phone and use it the way people use it in the philippines? theres no international roaming/international data roaming with verizon or anything? my only concern is unlocking it and getting charged by verizon or any of its partners if i use a philippine SIM.

can anyone break it down? much appreciated
    10-11-09 01:20 AM
    If you use the Verizon SIM while in the Philippines, you will get dinged roaming. You would keep your existing phone number.

If you unlock it, then pop in a SIM from a carrier in the Philippines, you will be using their service directly (not roaming on their network) and subject to whatever their terms are...which would be typically a lot cheaper then paying a North American carrier's roaming rates. You will however, have a local phone number.
    Last edited by Blackberry Guy; 10-11-09 at 01:39 AM.
    10-11-09 01:36 AM
    thanks for the reply. so it pretty much sounds like theres no reason not to unlock
    10-11-09 01:37 AM
    thanks for the reply. so it pretty much sounds like theres no reason not to unlock
    Tour didn't come unlocked?.. Weird.. Sprint comes unlocked..
    10-11-09 03:58 AM
    I called Verizon Global Support and I had mine unlocked in a matter of 10 mins. If you call the *611, they will be confused and not know what you are talking about.
    10-11-09 05:48 AM
    You should always have an unlocked phone. Sprint sells them unlocked, VZW doesn't.

That said, the VZW world data package is nice. Really, I've been all over the world (Eastern and Western Europe, Russia, Asia, South Africa, Austrailia, South America...) and VZW global data has always worked well. That said, they hit you hard for any voice calls.

Buy a SIM in another country and calls are cheap, but you may not have data included. Often, the data add-on is cheap if you're going to be in the country for awhile. However, if you go from country-to-country then changing your BB registration on the SIM is just cumbersome. Personally, I keep the VZW for data and change the SIM for voice.
    10-11-09 11:15 AM
    As mentioned, call Verizon and if you have an account for a certain period and it is in good standing they unlock for FREE. No need to purchase and unlock from 3rd parties.

I, too, used the global program for 3 weeks in Italy this past summer. UNlimited data. Calls do cost approx $0.99/minute but that includes to/from US.
    10-12-09 09:23 AM
    YES, you do want to unlock it. i just got back from Asia and unlocked over the Phone with verizon folks. They will walk you through the steps and give you the code. You will pay out the a.... if you dont. After it is unlocked, through in a local SIM card (Philipino SIM), switch your phone to GSM and then settings to 2G-3G and wala. You probably wont get internet but you will definitely get to make phone calls as if you were using a local cell phone and not on an international phone. Also, if you dont unlock it and choose to use your normal Verizon service, call them up and switch your plan to the international plan. it is like $20 a month for unlimited Data instead of paying per KB.

PM me if you ahve nay questions.
    Id be happy to help..
    10-12-09 09:30 AM
    im a bit confused as ive never had a "world phone." since theres a discount on unlock codes, i was thinking about buying one for just in case purposes.

if i unlock, and take the phone to the philippines (Globe/Smart are the providers), can i just pop in a globe or smart SIM card into the phone and use it the way people use it in the philippines? theres no international roaming/international data roaming with verizon or anything? my only concern is unlocking it and getting charged by verizon or any of its partners if i use a philippine SIM.

can anyone break it down? much appreciated
    Just having it unlocked you can have another sim card in it while here in the states and have a second line. Thats what I have with my sprint tour, I have an att sim in it all the time. just an idea.
    10-12-09 10:05 AM
    Just having it unlocked you can have another sim card in it while here in the states and have a second line. Thats what I have with my sprint tour, I have an att sim in it all the time. just an idea.
    I apologize for thread jacking but why do you (and others I've read about) have a second line? Obviously, you have to pay for that second carrier and you can only have one phone number at a time without switching the sim card. Just being curious.
    10-12-09 01:23 PM
    I called Verizon Global Support and I had mine unlocked in a matter of 10 mins. If you call the *611, they will be confused and not know what you are talking about.
    What is the number for the Verizon Global Support? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
    10-29-09 04:21 PM
    800-711-8300

908-559-4899
    10-29-09 06:50 PM
    So once I get it unlocked it as simple as putting in the SIM card for the country you're in?
    Do I need to put the Verizon SIM card back in the phone once I'm back in the phone?
    12-28-09 11:10 AM
    So once I get it unlocked it as simple as putting in the SIM card for the country you're in?
    Do I need to put the Verizon SIM card back in the phone once I'm back in the phone?
    When you're back in the states you do not need to put the Verizon SIM back in the phone, because that only allows you to use your phone on the GSM network, and since Verizon runs CDMA here in the states, the SIM is virtually useless when you're in the US.
    12-28-09 11:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD