Phase 1: Getting you unlock code
    1. Call Verizon customer support and ask them for Global Customer Care.
    2. When you are finally connected, tell them you need the SIM unlock codes for your device because you are traveling overseas to some remote country that only uses GSM.
    3. If they tell you they cant give you them or they dont have them or any other excuse, say thank you, hang up and go back to step 1 and repeat. It took me 3 calls before someone finally gave me them. Also, dont get all fired up and start screaming because chances are they make a note on your account and it will make it even harder during followup calls. You might also want to try getting the SIM unlock codes from regular customer support.
    4. Write down the unlock code, it is a 16 digit number, you will need it later.

Phase 2: Unlocking your device
    1. Go to Options -> Advanced Options -> SIM Card
    2. Flip your phone to horizontal mode and bring up the keyboard. To bring up the keyboard, hit the BlackBerry button and press Show Keyboard.
    3. Hold down Caps Lock key until it locks.
    4. Type "MEPD" without the quotes. This will bring up the SIM Card screen.
    5. You should see a list of Active and Disabled SIM locking categories.
    6. Again, hold down the Caps Lock key until it locks.
    7. This time type "MEP2"
    8. You should get a dialog that says "Enter Network MEP code (10 left):"
    9. Enter the SIM unlock code you got from Verizon and hit the Enter button.
    ***MAKE SURE YOU TYPE IT EXACTLY AS YOU WERE GIVEN IT*** If you type it incorrect 10 times, you will render your phone useless. If it doesnt work after the first 2 times, call Verizon back and verify the number you got is right.

Phase 3: Forcing the Phone to use GSM
    1. Pull the battery out and pull the Verizon SIM card out. Easiest way is with a pencil eraser.
    2. Put the new SIM card from either TMobile of ATT in and put the battery back in.
    3. When the phone finally boots back up go to Options -> Mobile Network
    4. Change the Network Technology to GSM/UMTS
    5. Hit the back button and wait as your GSM carrier is detected and the phone is registered with them.

Hope this helps
    11-24-08 12:11 PM
    Ohh yea..I forgot to mention, that I have my Storm working on TMobile with EDGE data and the ability to make/receive phone calls.
    11-24-08 01:11 PM
    Ohh yea..I forgot to mention, that I have my Storm working on TMobile with EDGE data and the ability to make/receive phone calls.
    Thanks for that information...how is the messaging (picture, text, and email) working for you?
    11-24-08 01:32 PM
    i got t-mobile as well and i wondering if you can help me unlock the storm. do you have to be a verizon customers in order to get the unlock code?
    11-24-08 03:13 PM
    EDGE...yuck!!! Who wants EDGE? Not me.
    11-24-08 03:18 PM
    good write up ! thanks for the info
    11-24-08 03:28 PM
    when i called verizon they said they could give me the unlock code but it would void my warranty
    11-24-08 03:28 PM
    when i called verizon they said they could give me the unlock code but it would void my warranty
    Haha that is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard. How did you keep from laughing at them?
    11-24-08 05:33 PM
    Phase 1: Getting you unlock code
    1. Call Verizon customer support and ask them for Global Customer Care.
    2. When you are finally connected, tell them you need the SIM unlock codes for your device because you are traveling overseas to some remote country that only uses GSM.
    3. If they tell you they cant give you them or they dont have them or any other excuse, say thank you, hang up and go back to step 1 and repeat. It took me 3 calls before someone finally gave me them. Also, dont get all fired up and start screaming because chances are they make a note on your account and it will make it even harder during followup calls. You might also want to try getting the SIM unlock codes from regular customer support.
    4. Write down the unlock code, it is a 16 digit number, you will need it later.

IPhase 2: Unlocking your device
    1. Go to Options -> Advanced Options -> SIM Card
    2. Flip your phone to horizontal mode and bring up the keyboard. To bring up the keyboard, hit the BlackBerry button and press Show Keyboard.
    3. Hold down Caps Lock key until it locks.
    4. Type "MEPD" without the quotes. This will bring up the SIM Card screen.
    5. You should see a list of Active and Disabled SIM locking categories.
    6. Again, hold down the Caps Lock key until it locks.
    7. This time type "MEP2"
    8. You should get a dialog that says "Enter Network MEP code (10 left):"
    9. Enter the SIM unlock code you got from Verizon and hit the Enter button.
    ***MAKE SURE YOU TYPE IT EXACTLY AS YOU WERE GIVEN IT*** If you type it incorrect 10 times, you will render your phone useless. If it doesnt work after the first 2 times, call Verizon back and verify the number you got is right.

Phase 3: Forcing the Phone to use GSM
    1. Pull the battery out and pull the Verizon SIM card out. Easiest way is with a pencil eraser.
    2. Put the new SIM card from either TMobile of ATT in and put the battery back in.
    3. When the phone finally boots back up go to Options -> Mobile Network
    4. Change the Network Technology to GSM/UMTS
    5. Hit the back button and wait as your GSM carrier is detected and the phone is registered with them.

Hope this helps
    I got mine unlocked today too. Took me 3 tries over the last two days though before they would
    11-24-08 06:01 PM
    definitely ask for global customer care. The local lady i got from standard customer care had no idea what I was talking about. She didnt know what a sim card was.
    11-24-08 06:04 PM
    do you have to be an vzw customer in order to get the unlock code?
    11-24-08 06:10 PM
    do you have to be an vzw customer in order to get the unlock code?
    YES... as it'll be under the phone number you bought it under or activated on. Only then will they help you. They unlocked mines since the day I bought it in the store. Whether I have a reason or not to I have already done it. My rep asked, I said YES do so.
    11-24-08 06:14 PM
    Is there anyway around it to get a code? i really want the phone but im still on contract and i got a good *** service plan with t-mobile. if anyone could help a fellow bb addict out?
    11-24-08 06:20 PM
    This worked perfectly for me. I don't plan on using it with another carrier, but it's nice to know I can if I need to. Thanks for the guide.
    11-24-08 06:23 PM
    Any help for a fellow crackaddict that is on ATT so cant call BUT was able to get my hands on a Storm and would like to unlock it. If any Verizon account holders would want to help me out, I could make it worth their time. PM Me... and THANKS in advance.
    11-24-08 06:28 PM
    That's exactly why I have not switched to Verizon to get the Storm cause my T-mobile Plan, its too good $39.99 for 1000 anytime minutes and $19.99 for unlimited Blackberry cant beat it lol. Verizon plans are expensive yes I know you pay what you get for but I have not had problems with T-mobile so why switch something that is not wrong. Though I do love the storm! Congrats to anyone who has one or will get one. Be patient just think of the phone as a person we can all use a lil' fixing every now and then and even when we do we still have a few kinks we need to adjust lmao. WAITING FOR IT TO GO TO TMOBILE ....OR IS THAT JUST SHATTERED DREAMS??? lol
    11-24-08 06:28 PM
    Just unlocked my Storm by calling CS asked for Global Customer Support. Told them I was going to Italy and the lady from VZW walked me through the process and unlocked my Storm on first try!
    11-24-08 06:56 PM
    How can you tell it is unlocked?
    11-24-08 06:59 PM
    I just got the code by dialing the tele number. I said that i was travelling to the Cayman Islands and needed it because of the GSM service. She said not a problem the code came hot off the press. These codes are esn specific. Now i have a problem with this. Number 1 if this info is so hard to get then why are they so willing to give this info. I also recieved an email from verizon right after they gave me the number talking about global traveling. Number 2 is if it is an unlock code why is it esn specific?? Kind of a nubie so no trash please.
    11-24-08 07:28 PM
    anyone want to help a non vzw bb user out to unlock a storm?
    11-24-08 07:29 PM
    anyone want to help a non vzw bb user out to unlock a storm?
    This is where i dont understand. Now our unlock codes are esn specific.....So how does a person unlock a storm without being on contract with verizon??????
    11-24-08 07:42 PM
    This is where i dont understand. Now our unlock codes are esn specific.....So how does a person unlock a storm without being on contract with verizon??????
    thats what im trying to figure out. good looking out
    11-24-08 07:45 PM
    That's the point, verizon doesn't want you to.
    11-24-08 07:59 PM
    can we go str8 to rim and call there customer service
    11-24-08 08:03 PM
    can we go str8 to rim and call there customer service
    And they'll tell you to go to VZ. RIM creates the phone, that's it...they don't lock it down and they don't provide the service.
    11-24-08 08:12 PM
303 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD