Can someone help me confirm whether my storm is unlocked. A colleague had this storm with his verizon account. But he cancelled his account and sold me the phone. I tried a TMobile and a AT&T SIM card in the phone. In both cases, the message on the home screen was 'Insert SIM' and the signal strenght indicator said 'SOS'. I did not see this message when the verizon-provided SIM was in the phone. Is there some menu / option in the phone that can confirm if the phone is unlocked? Thanks in advance..
    04-20-09 04:10 PM
    Can someone help me confirm whether my storm is unlocked. A colleague had this storm with his verizon account. But he cancelled his account and sold me the phone. I tried a TMobile and a AT&T SIM card in the phone. In both cases, the message on the home screen was 'Insert SIM' and the signal strenght indicator said 'SOS'. I did not see this message when the verizon-provided SIM was in the phone. Is there some menu / option in the phone that can confirm if the phone is unlocked? Thanks in advance..
    You can check by doing following:
    1. Go to "Options" menu and select "Advanced options"
    2. Select "SIM card"
    3. Select "Show keyboard"
    4. Typing MEPD. You will not see text appear on screen while typing. This opens up a personalization menu

If you see " network:disabled " then your phone should be unlocked already
    04-20-09 05:23 PM
    so i called verizon and my friend gave me his number and i knew his name and blah blah blah..now i dont know if this was just CS, but the lady was said i need the primary account holder to get it unlocked and to verify that i actually have the storm. blahh I WANT IT UNLOCKED INSTEAD OF PAYING TO GET IT UNLOCKED! can anybody help! how do i know if its CS or Global Tech?
    04-20-09 06:33 PM
    oh and i told her i was going to england for a soccer trip and she said that i can change all these plans which i did not understand what she was talking about.

let me think hmm:
    i think first she said i use a vodafone sim card which i could change my plan[which i dont have VZW] and i would get unlimited text and all that other good stuff....then she said that once i get there ill be using a gsm network which is vodafone, but idk she confused me haha. but i really want this for T-Mobile; should i just keep calling?
    04-20-09 06:38 PM
    worked like a champ, great post
    04-21-09 08:22 AM
    2. Select "SIM card"
    4. Typing MEPD. You will not see text appear on screen while typing. This opens up a personalization menu

Weiphone,

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, that helped me figure out that my phone is locked.
    04-22-09 02:02 PM
    2. Select "SIM card"

What about if it Shows "Network: Inactive" Instead? is it the same thing? Disabled and Inactive means the same?
    04-29-09 01:01 PM
    I purchased two storms for me and my ol lady and im to the point where i dropped verizon not even thinking about unlocking my phone first. If there is any possible way of getting around that so that i can still use my storm with my new carrier let me know any info is useful.

stormuser6987
    05-03-09 09:44 PM
    I have a question, if i go to a T-Mobile store in the US, and i buy a unlocked 8900, can i put in another carriers sim card? Thanks!
    05-04-09 09:58 AM
    I am a Verizon customer with a storm. I will be traveling to London this summer and I really want my storm for local calls in London without paying Verizon's ridiculous fees.

So I basically want to use my Storm on with a local Vodafone simcard. Is this the right procedure to take in order for that to happen?
    05-04-09 11:15 AM
    2. Select "SIM card"

I called verizon, got the code and when I put it in my phone it said accepted. It shows the network as active even when I correctly put in the code.

Is this right? Should I just test this with another carriers sim card?
    05-10-09 12:48 PM
    If you put the code and it was accepted then its unlocked. Once you have a sim card in NETWORK will read as inactive
    05-10-09 01:44 PM
    I'm buying a Storm from a friend of mine who just had the plan for it canceled and wondering if that'll make a difference when I ask.

Are they going to ask very specific questions? I just plan on saying that I was lent the phone by a friend who just canceled his plan but lent the phone to me for international travel.
    05-10-09 10:12 PM
    I was told by Verizon Global Care that the 8830 cannot be unlocked without their SIM card? They would not give me the unlock code until I spend $30 on their SIM Card package? Is this true?
    05-10-09 10:35 PM
    Phase 1: Getting you unlock code
    1. Call Verizon customer support and ask them for Global Customer Care.
    2. When you are finally connected, tell them you need the SIM unlock codes for your device because you are traveling overseas to some remote country that only uses GSM.
    3. If they tell you they cant give you them or they dont have them or any other excuse, say thank you, hang up and go back to step 1 and repeat. It took me 3 calls before someone finally gave me them. Also, dont get all fired up and start screaming because chances are they make a note on your account and it will make it even harder during followup calls. You might also want to try getting the SIM unlock codes from regular customer support.
    4. Write down the unlock code, it is a 16 digit number, you will need it later.

Phase 2: Unlocking your device
    1. Go to Options -> Advanced Options -> SIM Card
    2. Flip your phone to horizontal mode and bring up the keyboard. To bring up the keyboard, hit the BlackBerry button and press Show Keyboard.
    3. Hold down Caps Lock key until it locks.
    4. Type "MEPD" without the quotes. This will bring up the SIM Card screen.
    5. You should see a list of Active and Disabled SIM locking categories.
    6. Again, hold down the Caps Lock key until it locks.
    7. This time type "MEP2"
    8. You should get a dialog that says "Enter Network MEP code (10 left):"
    9. Enter the SIM unlock code you got from Verizon and hit the Enter button.
    ***MAKE SURE YOU TYPE IT EXACTLY AS YOU WERE GIVEN IT*** If you type it incorrect 10 times, you will render your phone useless. If it doesnt work after the first 2 times, call Verizon back and verify the number you got is right.

Phase 3: Forcing the Phone to use GSM
    1. Pull the battery out and pull the Verizon SIM card out. Easiest way is with a pencil eraser.
    2. Put the new SIM card from either TMobile of ATT in and put the battery back in.
    3. When the phone finally boots back up go to Options -> Mobile Network
    4. Change the Network Technology to GSM/UMTS
    5. Hit the back button and wait as your GSM carrier is detected and the phone is registered with them.

Hope this helps
    Why would you need the code again?? Once unlocked is it not unlocked forever?
    05-11-09 03:13 AM
    Why would you need the code again?? Once unlocked is it not unlocked forever?

It should be. I don't know if a complete reset of the device would change the settings and make the phone locked again. It shouldn't matter because I just called and got the code in like 3 mins and I can easily do that again.
    05-11-09 02:02 PM
    If I tell to Verizon that I need the unlock code because I need to travel and then I just want to use it for be able to get the storm in another carrier.

Is there a way they can now that ? or Can they charge me for something ?
    05-11-09 05:04 PM
    So I called bell & asked then to do this for me. The guy told me that the storm is unlocked out canada any ways & tat I don't need a code. I didn't know what to say

Does anyone here been able to unlock the storm to be used on the rogers network?

If so, would be please share how you did it?

Tnx very much

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-09 08:34 PM
    If I tell to Verizon that I need the unlock code because I need to travel and then I just want to use it for be able to get the storm in another carrier.

Is there a way they can now that ? or Can they charge me for something ?
    as long as you have a contract with them, you're fine....call, and you'll eventually get the unlock code...if you don't currently pay them for their services, you may have a problem...
    05-12-09 01:56 AM
    It should be. I don't know if a complete reset of the device would change the settings and make the phone locked again. It shouldn't matter because I just called and got the code in like 3 mins and I can easily do that again.
    exactly...
    05-12-09 01:57 AM
    I need help to unlock my phone, can anybody help me
    05-12-09 10:08 PM
    I purchased a Verizon Storm off of eBay and have purchased the unlock code from Horizon. I'm trying to unlock the phone, but don't have the original Verizon sim card that came with the phone. Is it possible to unlock still (I don't have Verizon service) and if so, how?
    05-13-09 01:04 AM
    I purchased a Verizon Storm off of eBay and have purchased the unlock code from Horizon. I'm trying to unlock the phone, but don't have the original Verizon sim card that came with the phone. Is it possible to unlock still (I don't have Verizon service) and if so, how?
    the lock is so that you can only use the VZW card, its natively supported and accepted. the VZW SIM is only to get voda roaming coverage...if you're unlocking to use on a domestic carrier you need one of their SIM cards...idk what the original VZW card has to do with the unlocking process...
    05-13-09 01:54 AM
    the lock is so that you can only use the VZW card, its natively supported and accepted. the VZW SIM is only to get voda roaming coverage...if you're unlocking to use on a domestic carrier you need one of their SIM cards...idk what the original VZW card has to do with the unlocking process...
    Doesn't. I stuck a T-Mobile Prepaid Sim in. Called Verizon and had it unlocked in 2 mins flat. Long as you have a sim in the slot you can unlock. In the case of not having verizon service, go for a paid unlock. Eitherway you'll need "A" sim card in the storm.

BTW hurro patches
    05-13-09 02:40 AM
    Very Good Information!
    05-13-09 02:44 AM
303 ... 89101112 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD