and it didnt work... time to call back!
    Yea...it defiantly has to be 16 numbers. You probably got a new guy.
    12-14-08 04:26 AM
    Will this let google maps use gps?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Unlocking has to do with the SIM card...
    12-14-08 04:27 AM
    hey i have a question. i got this blackberry storm from verison. but i don't deal with them anymore. and my phone does not show me the imei number when i dial *#06#. any idea how i can unlock it. or how i could find my imei number?
    Options -> Status -> IMEI:
    12-14-08 04:29 AM
    ...As long as you get the service books you need before you travel installed on the BlackBerry and the pre-paid service supports data, you should be all set.
    What service books do I need? Anything that's not already on the Storm? If so, how do I get 'em?

Thanks for the quick answer!
    12-14-08 07:43 AM
    What service books do I need? Anything that's not already on the Storm? If so, how do I get 'em?

Thanks for the quick answer!
    There's two stickies on this Storm forum of how to get the service books for ATT and TMobile.
    12-14-08 07:50 AM
    There's two stickies on this Storm forum of how to get the service books for ATT and TMobile.
    But, I'll be running with Airtel and 1-2Call SIMs/service. How does AT&Tor TMobile service books relate to these?
    12-14-08 08:30 AM
    Sorry for the this noob question...but is there any advantage to "unlocking" if you are going to remain a US, verizon user?
    12-14-08 08:39 AM
    In need!!!!

Ok I am with Tmobile, I called verizon and They would not give me any help because I dont have an acct with them. I went onlibe and paid a few places to have the phone unlocked but they all refundedme back saying no luck. Is there any one out there that can help me?? I dont want to have to sell this brand new phone.
    12-14-08 08:48 AM
    Sorry for the this noob question...but is there any advantage to "unlocking" if you are going to remain a US, verizon user?
    Yes, if you are intending to travel overseas to somewhere VZW does not have a roaming agreement with a local cellco, so you need to use a local SIM for the duration of your visit.

Yes, if you need to use a local SIM (overseas) because your employer or customer supplies or requires it as part of the job.

Yes, if you are travelling overseas on your own cost and want to use a local (prepay) SIM to avoid extortionate roaming charges for voice, and don't care if you lose data service until you get home (you will not get BB data on most prepay SIMs).

Yes, if (like me) you sometimes need to test the SIM from another phone so you can prove to the IQ-zero customer that the fault is in his phone (or SIM).

No, if none of the above apply.
    12-14-08 09:20 AM
    hey im in canada...with rogers
    the blackbeerry storm is only on telus and bell which do not take sim cards... how would i have to prceed to get a blackberry storm to unlock... would i need to follow the same procedure plz repond back asap thank you
    12-14-08 01:52 PM
    Options -> Status -> IMEI:
    thanks you are amaizing !!!
    12-14-08 02:17 PM
    But, I'll be running with Airtel and 1-2Call SIMs/service. How does AT&Tor TMobile service books relate to these?
    If the service you are getting overseas has a BlackBerry data option (most dont), then service books should push down to your phone when you connect. Or if you are a Verizon customer, the service books will stay on your phone when you travel. When I went to China I was using China Mobile network and using my Verizon service books.
    12-14-08 03:56 PM
    hey im in canada...with rogers
    the blackbeerry storm is only on telus and bell which do not take sim cards... how would i have to prceed to get a blackberry storm to unlock... would i need to follow the same procedure plz repond back asap thank you
    All BlackBerry Storm's have a SIM card slot AFAIK. Similar to the US, Verizon does not have a GSM network so they provide us with a "Verizon" SIM card which is really just a Vodafone SIM card for roaming. So Telus and Bell are probably providing a SIM card from some partner. According to their website, the phone comes with, among other items:

- International Roaming SIM card

So yes...you would need to follow this procedure, but you would have to call Telus or Bell to get the unlock code, not Verizon
    12-14-08 04:01 PM
    and it didnt work... time to call back!
    Hey, let us know what happened with you ...
    12-14-08 04:05 PM
    In need!!!!

Ok I am with Tmobile, I called verizon and They would not give me any help because I dont have an acct with them. I went onlibe and paid a few places to have the phone unlocked but they all refundedme back saying no luck. Is there any one out there that can help me?? I dont want to have to sell this brand new phone.
    Here's how I would do it:

1. Find a friend with active Verizon BlackBerry service.
    2. Have them swap their current BlackBerry device with your Storm on their account.
    3. Have them call back and ask for the unlock code for the Storm which is now on their account.
    4. Unlock it using the directions I provided.
    5. Call Verizon back and put the original BlackBerry back on the account.
    6. Your BlackBerry Storm should be unlocked and free to use with TMobile.

If you dont have any Verizon friends, I'm sorry...
    Last edited by dwclarkNU; 12-14-08 at 04:29 PM.
    12-14-08 04:05 PM
    All BlackBerry Storm's have a SIM card slot AFAIK. Similar to the US, Verizon does not have a GSM network so they provide us with a "Verizon" SIM card which is really just a Vodafone SIM card for roaming. So Telus and Bell are probably providing a SIM card from some partner. According to their website, the phone comes with, among other items:

So yes...you would need to follow this procedure, but you would have to call Telus or Bell to get the unlock code, not Verizon
    thank you so much... wow you helped me alot...but im still unsure about telus providing a sim card for the blackberry storm, but im sure its true...now the only thing is for me to do is wait until tomorow which is the release date of the blackberry storm in canada from telus...thank you so much again!!!!
    12-14-08 04:25 PM

ohh ya
    i just though of it ....
    if i go with telus... and everything goes through, i get my unlock code, i put the unlock code and follow the procedure step by step and make my rogers sim card work in my bb storm, am i still going to have my telus line inside the phone...or will it be in the internation sim card for roaming, im still confused, will i have my rogers and telus inside my bbs, and here in canada, telus does not offer cancelling the contract within 30 days so what do i do>????
    12-14-08 04:31 PM
    ohh ya
    i just though of it ....
    if i go with telus... and everything goes through, i get my unlock code, i put the unlock code and follow the procedure step by step and make my rogers sim card work in my bb storm, am i still going to have my telus line inside the phone...or will it be in the internation sim card for roaming, im still confused, will i have my rogers and telus inside my bbs, and here in canada, telus does not offer cancelling the contract within 30 days so what do i do>????
    Telus is CDMA not GSM. So your CDMA programming is going to be configured for Telus until someone else can figure out how to get Verizon or Telus to give us the MSL unlock codes to reprogram the CDMA configuration.

Once you take the SIM card that comes with the phone out, you wont be using the international roaming SIM card from Telus any more. You will be using the Rogers SIM card and thus your rogers plan when using GSM.

So your Storm will have both the Telus and Rogers service on it, but you can always cancel one of them (I'm assuming it would be Telus in your case). You have two options, either cancel the plan and pay the cancellation fee or buy the phone at full price without a contract. Once you cancel your plan (or if you dont get one in the first place), the phone wont work using CDMA. It's no different than when you get a new phone on an existing line, the old one just doesnt work any more.

Hope this helps
    12-14-08 04:47 PM
    Hey,

So I finally got my hands on a storm from Verizon.
    My friend got it unlocked while he still was in the US.
    If I use the sim that comes with the device I can confirm that it�s unlocked by checking under options-advanced options-simcard I type MPED
    and the device tells me as follows.

Sim-Disabled
    Network-Active
    Network Subset-Disabled
    Service Provider-Disabled
    Corporate-Disabled.

Still When I change to my local sim in Sweden the device can not connect to my network, I'm on Telenor and the phone tries to connect to another Swedish network Comviq. I have tried to manually change to Telenor but it will not connect.
    To get rid of the Activation required text at the top of the screen i typed ##000000 send and changed the number to my own, at the same time I changed the IMSI_S number. It was a misstake to not write down the original number because whenever I change sim now the device tells me that there is no sim inserted unless it's the one that came with the phone.

is there anyone that has any ideas for me to get the phone up and running with my local network in sweden?

thanks alot.
    Last edited by svenbennyz; 12-20-08 at 12:54 PM.
    12-20-08 12:47 PM
    Hello everyone,

What is the unlock code starts with because when i called bell they gave me a 19 digits unlock code ! !
    12-22-08 11:21 AM
    CALLMEBOB it will work in Italy as long as you have asked Verizon to allow international calls (watch the charges they mount up!!!)
    Is it cheaper to get a SIM card then? I am going to Costa Rica next week....should I do one of these or just get a phone card? I already have a Storm but is is not unlocked.

ADVICE?
    12-31-08 01:44 AM
    I would like the support of someone more knowledgeable on BB matters than me...

I have a Verizon BB storm, never activated or used on the Verizon Network - it was sealed in the box. I got the unlock code from eBay, and it worked like a charm. I can use it as a phone.

I then decided to register the PIN and IMEI in my provider's BIS and I get the message saying that the PIN and IMEI are already registered with a different service provider. (?)

Now, I googled around but I found conflicting info. Some people say that I need to get the PIN released by Verizon, others say that I only need to get a BB plan with my own provider and that should do the trick.

I also read the thread about activating the Storm with T-Mobile and ATT, and I could try to adapt it to register it with my provider, but I dont know how to get their generic service books. Any suggestions here would be most welcome.

Thank you!

Ryplok
    12-31-08 11:21 AM
    JUST a little thing I noticed here. The phone battery will drain faster when unlocking the phone and not changing the options out from Global. (If you leave your phone set to global, your phone will look for a gsm signal all the time)---> Go to option , then mobile network. Then change network technology from global to 1XEV. Battery work a lot better for me. Let me know how this helps.
    12-31-08 11:40 AM
    Haha that is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard. How did you keep from laughing at them?
    Outside of a few countries where the phone is required to be sold unlocked (Germany comes to mind), it DOES void your warranty. On an unlocked device RIM and the carriers can refuse warranty service. Odds are they wont, but they can. Unless the phone came from RIM directly you go through the service provider for warranty services (in the case of the VZW 9530, its verizon). Verizon can determine NOT to support unlocked phones. (again its unlikely they would ever check)
    Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 12-31-08 at 11:49 AM.
    12-31-08 11:45 AM
    Is it cheaper to get a SIM card then? I am going to Costa Rica next week....should I do one of these or just get a phone card? I already have a Storm but is is not unlocked.

ADVICE?
    Costa Rica is going to be difficult to get cell service in. Not only are they an 1800Mhz GSM and 800Mhz TDMA, but it is 100% government controlled and they do not sell pre-paid SIM cards. Costa Rica isnt even listed on Verizon's site as a international roaming destination since there is no agreement between Verizon and the Costa Rican cell phone company for roaming. You will probably want to do some more research as to what you will need for cell service down there.
    12-31-08 04:17 PM
303 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD