how do you unlock a phone? what i mean is how does one learn or know how to unlock a phone. i know you can pay to have it unlocked but all your paying is someone who knows how to unlock, correct? im just curious as to what unlocking a phone requires and how hard it is? i dont have one i need unlocked nor am i referring to a specific service provider. i just want to know how it is done and how does the person doing know how?
    05-07-07 01:41 PM
    I believe it's a software that uses some kind of algorithm based on the device IMEI.

However, if I'm wrong, someone please advise.
    05-07-07 02:15 PM
    what kinda phone are you trying to unlock? i know motorolas can be unlocked via cable and software...samsungs can be unlocked via codes...same with nokias. if its a blackberry you're trying to unlock, best way is to have someone who has been a customer of the carrier that the phone is locked to, and ask for an unlock code (all they have to do is tell them they are traveling out of the country and need to have the phone unlocked to use overseas).

i know for T-Mobile the customer has to have been with them for 90 days, and you can only ask for an unlock code once every 90 days. as for Cingular, i don't know the customer duration requirements,
    05-07-07 05:26 PM
    im not trying to unlock any phone nor am i asking about in certain kind. im just curious how it works, i have seen on ebay where people will bid on getting a phone unlocked. someone has their service(i guess you would call it) of unlocking phones up for bid and the winning bidder will get their phone unlocked! i just want to know how they know how to unlock phones!
    05-07-07 06:41 PM
    Pretty sure the answer I gave you is the correct one. (I think )
    05-07-07 06:56 PM
    It's a shame there was a simple way to just connect the device to a pc, and have it unlocked. But, I guess a lot of people would be 'broke', if it was that easy
    05-07-07 07:32 PM
    lol...so tru. there are some businesses that thrive on unlocking phones.

i'm not really sure, but in a general sense, the phones are locked onto networks usually by some type of added code. the phones are manufactured unlocked, and are then shipped to the carriers, who encode the 'locking', then package it up and ship them out. not too sure where/what the coding is that they add, but that's how most phones can be unlocked just by typing in a series of keystrokes...
    05-07-07 07:37 PM
    ...could you imagine getting the 'master' set of codes? I certainly wouldn't sell it, it would be priceless! To me at least...
    05-07-07 07:42 PM
    you just hear so much about unlocked phones and people buying them, i just got curious as to who and how did it. except for ceartin phones only being available to specific service providers i dont see why the different companies would really care to have their phones locked to their network.
    05-07-07 08:50 PM
    exclusivity (is that even a word???), like the iPhone
    05-07-07 09:04 PM
    well, most (if not all) phone companies don't prefer to have their phones locked onto a network...its actually just the US mobile carriers that are so demanding on keeping phones locked on their network...they try to keep exclusitivity...lol. i know in asia, and i think europe as well, that most phones are not sold through mobile service carriers, and are sold unlocked.
    05-07-07 10:59 PM
    blackberry's are actually hard to unlock. You will see some unlocking venders unlock blacberry's for as high as 100 bucks!
    05-08-07 12:36 AM
    I wonder why are they harder. Should the 'principle' to unlock it, not be the same as an ordinary mobile? I mean all mobiles irrespective of it being a BlackBerry has an IMEI number, no?
    05-08-07 08:24 AM
    I think the reason for the $100 is more tiltled to supply and demand. Very few were able to unlock the Pearl when it was first launched, and it cost around $100. Now there are more commercial unlockers offering the service and the price has dropped to about $25 (competition drives a better price). I found that when the 8800 was released, there was no price gouging, and it only cost me $25 for unlock code.
    05-08-07 10:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD