I'm new to this forum so forgive me if this question has been asked and answered already. I've had the Storm for about 6 weeks now. Overall I like the phone but am thoroughly pissed every time I have to unlock the phone with a password (want to protect my info). I have a 4 number pin so why does it take me eight (8) keystrokes to unlock the phone?? (the Phone won't allow me to enter less than 3 digits or a bunch of 11111s). Also, why does it lock only after 1 hour? How about two, four or eight hours so I don't have to keep hitting the eight keys to unlock the phone. And, why can't you just simply turn off the screen without locking the phone. Not really useful when you are driving and want to operate the phone with one hand (I know, I know I should not be driving and doing that...please no speeches).

Is anyone else annoyed by this? Does anyone know of an easy fix for this, perhaps to lessen the number of keystrokes or extend the time for the phone to lock. The same task takes about two seconds on the IPhone (i know blasphemy).
    03-11-09 02:25 PM
    takes me 4 keystrokes...
    and no, not annoyed by it.
    03-11-09 02:39 PM
    5 keystrokes. It's not fun exactly, but the tradeoff for the security of knowing that if I loose my phone or it gets lifted at least the personal info on there is going to get wiped while the thief tries to guess my password of 1234 (yuck yuck)

I hear you, but if it matters that much to make the phone secure seems a small price to pay. That said I've never tried the same thing on the jesus phone so maybe it doesnt seem as bad to me.
    03-11-09 02:42 PM
    takes me 4 keystrokes...
    and no, not annoyed by it.
    Explain to me how you get away with Four to my Eight.

My Routine:
    1. Click on Black Screen
    2. Click on Unlock
    3. Click on Shift/NUM Lock (my PW is 4 digits)
    4. Press #
    5. Press #
    6. Press #
    7 Press #
    8. Enter/Return
    03-11-09 02:56 PM
    okay.. 6ish,

press the lock/unlock on top of the Storm.
    **** enter.
    03-11-09 03:05 PM
    Explain to me how you get away with Four to my Eight.

My Routine:
    1. Click on Black Screen
    2. Click on Unlock
    3. Click on Shift/NUM Lock (my PW is 4 digits)
    4. Press #
    5. Press #
    6. Press #
    7 Press #
    8. Enter/Return
    You can skip steps 1 and 2, by just clicking the lock button up top. That'll turn your screen on and bring up the password entry screen right away.
    03-11-09 03:08 PM
    I use the crap out of mine and have an 8-digit password. AND it locks after 15 minutes. I don't mind the trade-off for security.
    03-11-09 03:15 PM
    Thats the whole point of the lock feature, it takes away being able to access your phone easily.

If you want an 8hour auto lock, why even password protect it?
    03-11-09 03:20 PM
    Is anyone else annoyed by this? Does anyone know of an easy fix for this, perhaps to lessen the number of keystrokes or extend the time for the phone to lock. The same task takes about two seconds on the IPhone (i know blasphemy).
    I feel the same way... to an extent. I have an even longer password, and it sucks because I rarely remember it when I am getting text messages and I am half asleep. The frustration/confusion. Probably sucks for you if you are getting alot of messages but 30 min is fine for me, mostly because I dont use it all of the time. Dunno of a way to extend the time, but I guess someone could write an app for it or something. The thing with the longer than 1 hour thing is if you lose it then what is the point, as it might not reach that lock out period. I feel safer knowing that it will be locked withing 15-30 min.

On a side note, I also put a message in the owner info section saying the phone is locked by a long @ss password, and is tracked by GPS (which it is with GoogleMaps), and give an alt # and e-mail to reach me. Plus everything is encrypted and has a security timeout. Hope that makes it 99% secure and returnable .
    03-11-09 03:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD