hey all.

i'm taking a trip to the UK soon and i'd like to use my blackberry over there. unfortunately, my virgin mobile USA service doesn't have any plan/way for me to use my phone abroad.

how might i be able to unlock the phone for use in the UK?

thanks in advance, guys.
    12-26-10 09:37 PM
    I think your bb can used in UK after you insert unlock code , you can find so much website can provide unlock code for free or fee on internet , try to search google

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-10 05:17 AM
    You should try to call Virgin Mobile and ask if they can provide you with the unlock code, so that when you go to the UK, you can get a prepaid Vodafone, O2, 3UK, whatever SIM, and use it. Some carriers are awesome at giving unlock codes such as T-Mobile, others like AT-T.. No. PS: Is Virgin Mobile CDMA, iDen, or GSM? That's an important thing to know. If its GSM, all I said before counts, if not... You're SOL.

12-27-10 05:36 AM
    if your device is indeed an 8530 then it is locked to your carrier. it is possible with great difficulty and a lot of luck to unlock it. Its not likely though. The XX30 devices are normally a CDMA device and next to impossible to free them from the carrier. If its an 8520 (gsm) then it is very easy to unlock.

in simple terms... if your device has a SIM card, you're good to go. If not, you are indeed SOL

12-27-10 06:53 AM
    if your device is indeed an 8530 then it is locked to your carrier. it is possible with great difficulty and a lot of luck to unlock it. Its not likely though. The XX30 devices are normally a CDMA device and next to impossible to free them from the carrier. If its an 8520 (gsm) then it is very easy to unlock.

in simple terms... if your device has a SIM card, you're good to go. If not, you are indeed SOL
    CDMA devices cannot be unlocked. The can thou be flashed to work on another carrier, but since they do not use SIM cards, you're stuck with a carrier at a time.

Call your carrier, tell them you're traveling and see if the phone will work over the UK, since most (if not all of it) is GSM now.

If they say it won't work, you'll have to get yourself a GSM phone or go on vacations and rely on WiFi only (even thou, push/BBM/etc might not work since your carrier network won't be available).
    Last edited by diegonei; 12-27-10 at 10:15 PM.
    12-27-10 08:11 AM
    Cannot be unlocked...
    12-27-10 09:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD