Hi there,

I am just about to unlock my UK T-Mobile Blackberry Onyx 9700

I have received the code and the following is the instructions:
    Must be done without a sim card inserted & wireless radios must be turned off.
    To unlock:

1. Go to settings.
    2. Go to options.
    3. Go to advanced options.
    4. Go to sim card.
    5. Type MEPD.
    6. Hold the ALT Key while typing in MEPE ( not case sensitive ) ( you will not see text appear on screen while typing ).
    7. It will say "Enter Network MEP Code, then you type in the unlock code, press in the trackball to confirm.
    8. Your phone is now unlocked.

Question:
    1. Some said the sim card (any sim card) should be inserted but this one said not to? Which one is the right one?

2. What does it mean by wireless radios must be turned off? How to do it on Blackberry Onyx 9700?

Anyone can help me out please? I'm a bit nervous unlokcing my Blackberry.

Thank you all in advance for all the input/information/help given!

All the best,
    Josh
    02-01-10 01:31 AM
    You can do the unlocking on the 9700 with or without the SIM card and it will not affect the procedure. To turn the Wireless OFF (Radio OFF) you can go to Manage Connections on your main screen and then click on "Turn all connections OFF".

Let us know if you need any more help.
    02-01-10 03:53 AM
    You can actually unlock most Blackberry's without the sim inserted. Try it out and see what happens. the only concern you should have is trying too many unlock codes, but if you try it without the sim and it doesn't work, it won't let you enter an unlock code anyways.
    02-01-10 10:10 AM
    If you have a non carrier sim in it and boot it up, IT WILL automatically prompt you for the MEP code.
    02-01-10 10:36 AM
    its not possible that you can unlock without sim I guess
    Most can be unlocked with no SIM, but we always recommend to do it with a SIM, + all new models will ask for the MEP code when you boot it up with a non-allowed SIM card.
    02-01-10 11:27 AM
    Okay. So there are many ways and there is NOT exactly right or wrong ways - I guess. So I'll try each step. If one is successful then voila!

Thank you all!
    02-03-10 10:20 PM
    Yup, it does ask for MEP code when I put my sim inside. So should I just type in the Unlock code? So there's no long step-by-step to it?

Why then unlocker give that long step-by-step if the phone ask automatically??
    Can anyone let me know?
    02-03-10 10:23 PM
    I enter the unlock code but it says: Code Error Please wait - however still give 7 more attempt to unlock. Does it mean my phone is hardlocked?

If it is hardlocked (which I hope not) - what can I do?

Please help!
    Josh
    02-03-10 10:44 PM
    That means the code you have is incorrect.
    02-03-10 10:46 PM
    Yup, it does ask for MEP code when I put my sim inside. So should I just type in the Unlock code? So there's no long step-by-step to it?

Why then unlocker give that long step-by-step if the phone ask automatically??
    Can anyone let me know?
    Because every unlocker does not buy EVERY phone that comes out to find out that the manufacturer created a shortcut.
    02-03-10 11:00 PM
    I enter the unlock code but it says: Code Error Please wait - however still give 7 more attempt to unlock. Does it mean my phone is hardlocked?

If it is hardlocked (which I hope not) - what can I do?

Please help!
    Josh
    The unlock code you were given is wrong. We can get you the correct unlock code.
    02-03-10 11:05 PM
    I have two 9700's. one from Bell, one from Telus.

trying to unlock the Telus one, and when I insert the Bell one into it, it tells me that I need to give it an MEP code, to which I select and press 'yes', but it doesn't pop up with the screen where I can type it.

Trying the method metioned above (going to options>advanced>sim card, typing MEPD--which DOES bring up additional menus...then typing MEP2)...after typing MEP2 (2 is typed by pressing ALT first), nothing happens...on the Bell one, it does bring up the line where I can enter the code....

the network says 'disabled', which I was told means it's unlocked, but if it is, then why won't it accept the Bell SIM?

thanks!
    02-05-10 07:55 PM
    I have two 9700's. one from Bell, one from Telus.

trying to unlock the Telus one, and when I insert the Bell one into it, it tells me that I need to give it an MEP code, to which I select and press 'yes', but it doesn't pop up with the screen where I can type it.

Trying the method metioned above (going to options>advanced>sim card, typing MEPD--which DOES bring up additional menus...then typing MEP2)...after typing MEP2 (2 is typed by pressing ALT first), nothing happens...on the Bell one, it does bring up the line where I can enter the code....

the network says 'disabled', which I was told means it's unlocked, but if it is, then why won't it accept the Bell SIM?

thanks!
    Hi
    You need to type mep (alt) 4 on the Telus 9700 in order to enter the code. The Telus 9700 has an SP lock (Service Provider) Lock
    02-05-10 07:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD