My friend gave me his blackberry, he has cingular and decided to upgrade to a curve and he gave me his 8700, I want to use this phone in Tmobile so I bought a code on ebay, the instructions say that I need to have a sim card on the phone to unlock it, I dont have a sim card what can I do?
    • can I use someones sim card to unlock the phone?
    • does it need to be a cingular sim card?
    • Is there any risk in damaging the sim card?

Please help.
    02-13-08 04:26 PM
    Hi Tango

Did your BB dry out ok after you got it wet?

I am not sure if you need a cingular sim card or not but unlocking doesn't damage sim cards.

From your earlier thread which I was looking at earlier you mentioned what was listed in your general options and I saw the words 'It policy'. Did your friend have a company phone or use his work e-mail as you may have a company IT policy on your phone which may prevent you unlocking it. It may be ok though.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I will come along and help you out.
    02-13-08 04:32 PM
    The phone apparently dried up ok, I still put it in the rice bowl, lol, and the keyboard seems to be working except for the p , o & l that get stuck but everything seems to be working, I am getting a new battery. I also finally deleted all the information, I did a reset and deleted my friends profile and msgs, it was his phone although he used it for personal and company email thru outlook. I am sure that our company doesnt have the phones locked its just the cingular lock. He is here but I am afraid to ask him for the sim card, unlock the phone and then he will loose the info or damage the sim card, I have a friend that has a tmobile sim card here and he doesnt care much about the phone since its a spare phone but like I said its tmobile, so I want to know if I have to unlock the phone with a cingular sim card or it can be any sim card.

These are the instructions for unlocking the phone and they require the sim card. I dont have much experience with sim cards so that is why I am afraid I will damage the sim.
    02-13-08 04:38 PM
    I used my friends cingular sim card and unlocked my phone, good thing that nothing happen to his sim card, I put in the tmobile sim card and it doesn t work, how can I make it work for tmobile on with the tmobile sim card, do i need to download an OS, how can I make it work.

please help.
    02-13-08 05:01 PM
    You got it unlocked, excellent.

Is anything working at all? can you make calls? send texts?
    02-13-08 05:07 PM
    nope, nothing is working, any ideas on how to make this phone work? it says SIM card not valid.
    02-13-08 06:13 PM
    sim card invalid, means you didn't unlock it yet
    02-14-08 08:23 PM
    try asking the seller you brought it from. they sell the unlocking codes so they should know what to do.
    02-14-08 09:09 PM
    have friend get code from ATT
    02-15-08 08:48 AM
    So does this mean that once its unlocked you can put any sim card in from any carrier and it should work?

Nobody wants to explain what happens after the unlock anywhere on the web. I can only assume that my above statement must be true because once people get it unlocked they never have a problem after that and then never post a question.
    07-11-08 10:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD