I guess I made a huge mistake. I gave up using my 8830 and transferred my service to the Storm, leaving the 8830 deactivated. I had Verizon unlock my Storm, but didn't think to do it to the 8830 before deactivation.

I'm selling the 8830, and everyone wants it unlocked. I spoke with Global Support and got the SORRY...it has to be activated to give you the unlock code. I told them it was active with them for 2 1/2 years before I recently gave it up for the Storm!!!!

Should I keep calling until I find a rep who will do it, or speak with a supervisor? I will NOT activate it again and pay for service for 60 days for them to unlock it!! ANY SUGGESTIONS? Thanks...
    05-22-09 04:10 PM
    The people who are wanting your 8830 unlocked don't understand that unlocking doesn't offer the same advantages on CDMA networks as on GSM. Neither Verizon nor Sprint will normally allow you to use the other's phone on their network, because they sell the same phone. I suggest you don't worry about unlocking it, and sell it to a buyer who actually understands what he's getting. Anybody who buys it expecting to unlock it and use it on AT&T (for example) is just going to be mad and demand their money back from you anyway.
    05-22-09 04:56 PM
    But if you are unlocking it so you can use the phone in other countries. Why not just reactivate the phone through the website call up global support give them the imei # so you can get the unlock code. Then just reactivate your storm.
    My 8830 is second hand from a member on these boards. After I received it I called up global support and got them to help me unlock the phone which was great since I was able to use local sims while I was traveling through asia.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-09 02:28 AM
    I guess I made a huge mistake. I gave up using my 8830 and transferred my service to the Storm, leaving the 8830 deactivated. I had Verizon unlock my Storm, but didn't think to do it to the 8830 before deactivation.

I'm selling the 8830, and everyone wants it unlocked. I spoke with Global Support and got the SORRY...it has to be activated to give you the unlock code. I told them it was active with them for 2 1/2 years before I recently gave it up for the Storm!!!!

Should I keep calling until I find a rep who will do it, or speak with a supervisor? I will NOT activate it again and pay for service for 60 days for them to unlock it!! ANY SUGGESTIONS? Thanks...

ok well you can always look on ebay to unlock it...i found a guy on there who unlock my storm for 1o bucks and got the code for me in 10mins....the phone was deactivated also
    06-08-09 06:41 AM

Just got off the phone with Global Support as well and got the same answer.

Unfortunately I am in Qatar already, so activating then deactivating the 8830 is out of the question.

I have my Storm unlocked and over here with me already, I amusing that for data only. I just want to unlock the 8830 so I can get a Qatari SIM and use it for voice.

Any thoughts on what I can do since VGS won't help me out. Most of the sites I have been to don't offer unlocking services for the 8830.

Thanks.
    06-08-09 07:07 AM
    Same boat, I canceled when I moved to Asia and figured I could just mod the phone to unlock it. Ended up with a shiny paperweight and a brand new bold *sigh*
    06-09-09 03:24 AM
    Sorry didn't notice the fact that ya were outta the country. But best of luck to you and hope it turns out well

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-10-09 02:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD